Random D&D Questions

Anything D&D pretty much.
TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:16 pm

Two things.

When casting a tactical spell through a projected image, where is the magical maelstrom gathering to power the casting centered?

With illusion magic, can you make an invisible illusion? It would be invisible to normal sight, a See Invisibility would reveal the image, and a True Sight would reveal that it was an illusion.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 pm

TheDude51 wrote:When casting a tactical spell through a projected image, where is the magical maelstrom gathering to power the casting centered?

With illusion magic, can you make an invisible illusion? It would be invisible to normal sight, a See Invisibility would reveal the image, and a True Sight would reveal that it was an illusion.

technically that question shouldn't be in the General D&D threads... it's not a very general question.
If you're trying to project an image that imitates the tactical spell, then it would be centered on the image in question. If you're trying to go for a tactical illusion image spell, then of course it's on you. Either way I've already wrote the flaw with using illusions to imitate war magic in my forums. You pretty much need an customized lvl9 or epic evocation[light]/illusion[figment][glamour] to imitate one well...

Since a lot of illusions revolve around the manipulation of light, I'd imagine projecting an invisible image to be rather impossible. At least I think (figment) spells are that way, (glamour) spells are something else and deals more with auras than just pure image, but I can't think of any glamour spells that projects large images.
Stormreach NPC Relations | Stormreach Encounter Map

Epicette Argyen (WotR Ledger)

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Nah, not trying to imitate a tactical spellcasting.

The seventh level sorc/wiz (6th level bard) spell Project Image (PHB) allows you to do the following as one of its effects:

"If you desire, any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the projected image instead of from you. The projected image can’t cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells. The spells affect other targets normally, despite originating from the projected image."

A tactical spell being a subset of "any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater", I was wondering what the effect would be if you cast a tactical spell through your projected image.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:07 pm

oh... the magical surge will still be focused on you :P, cause you, as the lead caster, is focusing all that energy, no matter where that energy ends up 'originating' from.

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

beejazz
Darth Member
Race: Leliel
Class: You're Kidding, Right?

Postby beejazz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Not to nitpick, but isn't it "Glamer" and not "Glamour"? Spellcheck tends to not recognize words like that.

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:41 am

Eric, I think you're right. Glamour is a word, though, so spellcheck wouldn't catch it.
Haaaahahahaha!!!!

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Note: Crystalkeep updated their stuff again

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Re: Random D&D Questions

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:55 pm

Suddenly I realized D&D armor isn't HEAVY enough...

this conversation spawned off a discussion between TotalWar modders over the balance of the Byzantine Scholarii (better known as Cataphractoi):

Famously, at the Battle of Dyracchium in 1081, Alexios Comnenos was lanced simultaneously by three Norman Knights, and was able to ride free of the melee with a couple of the lances still stuck in his armour.
If memory serves he was almost knocked out of his saddle when he was hit and couldn't get back into it until another Norman Knight hit him from the opposite direction and pushed him back into the saddle.

now the heaviest armor I know of is Mountain Plate from RoS... which was like, +10, so +11 converted to Pathfinder. Got anything heavier? xD

littleangryman

Re: Random D&D Questions

Postby littleangryman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm

I wonder if that stuff was so heavy you had to be mounted to use it. Wouldn't surprise me, given that the Byzantines got the idea from the Persians, who had little use for infantry anyway (well, less than the Greeks or Romans anyhow).

That shouldn't be TOO hard to work into game terms...
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Return to “General D&D”