Part 2.a Rescue the Riftwardens

Moderator: Squall255

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Part 2.a Rescue the Riftwardens

Postby Squall255 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:54 pm

The party gathers at the front gates of Drezen, and Millorn, Aravashnial, and Jestak are waiting for you. The two wizards both cast Communal Mount spells and summon a total of 4 mounts, looking to Epicette to provide transportation for the other 4 members of the party. The group rides hard at full speed to the west, pausing briefly for lunch after 6 hours so that the wizards could cast their spells again. After 9 and a half hours of hard riding, you meet up with one of Anevia's scouts who gives you the following briefing:

About 30 mins normal ride (at normal pace, not the breakneck one you've been doing) is what appears to be a small ghost town, apparently abandoned after the Second Crusade. There hasn't been any sign of demons coming or going, and the town has been eerily quiet. Once today, one of the scouts saw a few hellhounds wandering to the north, but they turned and wandered off without any interaction with the scouts. The one who saw them couldn't tell if they were avoiding the town, or if they just naturally went another direction.

It is around 5 in the afternoon, you estimate another 1-2 hours of daylight. What do you do?
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Part 2.a Rescue the Riftwardens

Postby Laharl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:32 pm

For the first time in a long time, Henric is starting to regret his focus on damage spells as he looks around impatiently. "Anyone have any divinations we could use to get a sense of what's going on before we just ride in blind? Or even a better plan than riding in blind?"

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Malorix looks about the town, irritated. "Afraid not. Could be anything in there. IS this the place?"
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 pm

At Malorix's question, the thrush weakly speaks, loud enough for just Epicette to understand, "Yes... We are... close now." It shudders a bit as whatever is affecting it seems to pulse, sapping more of it's strength. Epicette has felt this happen fairly regularly over the ride out here, with them growing more frequent as they got closer.
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:40 pm

"I don't think we can afford to ignore the place," Epicette landed. "Even by proximity it might have something to do with our parents, not to mention how close it is to Dreznen itself... Though..."

Epicette knelt down as she pulled out her mother's Harrow deck and shuffled it twice. "Please guide us," she muttered before kissing its top card, then began to pull out a suit of seven arrayed on the ground. She was intending to enter the ghost town in search of her disappeared parents' circumstances... what results could she expect?
( Harrow Chosen trait's ability with 82% chance )
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 am

Epicette's draw includes the following cards, leaving her with a sense of Weal and Woe:

The Devil
Death
The Hanged Man
Strength
The Star

The other cards are either minor arcana, or don't seem to fit with the reading.

note: I am admittedly not very well versed in Tarot, and used the to help base which cards you drew.
(|)
(|)

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 am

"We've come this far," Daveed stated resolutely. "We might as well see it through."

Daveed proposes riding to within eyesight of the town, and then heading in on foot.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Epicette frowned at her cards. The combination of Death and Hanged Man implies reaching the crossroads, an unavoidable cliff face that demands overcoming the odds to see transformation and regain control once more. Meanwhile Strength, Star, and the Devil demands overcoming the chaos and shadows of the subconscious with reason and virtue. It sounds as if whatever lies ahead, it will not only shape events for -- at least herself and possibly Henric -- but also strike at their weak spots.

She sighed. "An necessary danger lays ahead. This will definitely be a trial to overcome."

Then added to Henric in particular: "Beware your first impressions and impulses."

As the party gets close to the town, Epi casts See Invisibility (lasts 2 hours)
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

You approach the outskirts of town and dismount, making your way in guerrilla style, moving from cover to cover. As you make it past the first few buildings, you all start to hear insects buzzing and chirping, like cicadas on a summer afternoon. There is no sign of demons nor humanoids.

There is a faint smell of rot hanging in the air in the town as you make your way slowly towards the next segment of town you go to investigate. Peering from behind one of the houses, this square seems to have a library, a church, a schoolhouse, space for food carts, a stable, and an inn. All of the buildings look very weathered and the inn and smithy's signs sit half buried in the dirt, having fallen from their chains long ago.

Everyone make perception checks.
(|)
(|)

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

(Perception: 1d20+17= 29)

Active Characters:

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm

(Perception: 14+7=21)
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am

(Perception: 1d20+15 = 34 + 2 Favored Terrain [Urban] = 36)
[38 vs Evil Outsiders, 36 vs Aberrations or Traps]
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am

(Perception: 7+17 = 24)
|

()

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:19 am

As none of you can possibly beat Marty, and assuming Marty passes on the info:

The library and schoolhouse have a faint lingering trace of magic that you can barely detect with your cantrips and senses. Like some long lasting spell had been cast in each of those buildings, or possibly many many shorter duration spells over the years, you can't quite tell. But there does still seem to be a faint magical aura inside both of those buildings. Cernandlon's keen eyes also notice the first signs of life in the area, spotting a few moths and other insects flying scattered around the church. The insects are not in anything you would call a swarm, just one here, one there. If you had to estimate you spot somewhere around 20-40 around the grounds of the 2 story church.
(|)
(|)

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Daveed uses his Detect Evil ability to see if anything stands out.

Active Characters:

Return to “Chapter 3 - Demon's Heresy”