Mission 3 - Sword Hunt (Feb 10 - Feb 15)

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Mission 3 - Sword Hunt (Feb 10 - Feb 15)

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Type: Urban Tracking and Assassination
Contact: Lysette, requesting for Brelish Consul Rusila ir'Clarn
Description: Several cells from the Brelish Swords of Liberty republican/terrorist movement have entered Stormreach. Their presence was already felt when they ran afoul of the Cyran extremist group Dannel's Wrath, resulting in a confrontation and left a Cross district tavern ablaze. As these people are a disgrace to the otherwise legitimate Brelish republican movement, Consul ir'Clarn wants them eliminated -- not arrested, not scattered, but dead and their bodies tossed into the sea.
Downpayment: 500gps
Completion Payment: 4,000gps. The Consul is also well connected with the elites of Stormreach and would be willing to make a number of recommendations/promotions for the company and its members (gain 20 Influence)
Failure Penalty: -20 attitude from Lysette and no more Brelish Consul mission requests.
Time Needed: Unknown
Time Limit: Unknown; they might leave next week, they might leave in two years.

---------------

February 10th (Week 2 Day 2)...

It was a sunny morning in Stormreach, a rare occurrence for this time of the year. The bustling Market District grew loud and busy hours before the usual time, as every merchant and peddler strove to take advantage of the good weather and abundance in customers.

Even the papers were energetic this morning, rocking the news with their new headline -- EXPLOSION ROCKS CROSS DISTRICT. Apparently the Cyran refugees had another 'border tension' conflict with the locals, leading to the Cyran militant group Dannel's Wrath taking it upon themselves to... persuade the locals of their ill judgment... by blowing up a shop with alchemicals.

Needless the say, neither the Stormreach Guard nor the district's non-Cyran inhabitants were amused. Several of Dannel's Pride community leaders -- including the merchant Lucile -- tried to control the damage by denouncing the use of violence, but it was too little too late. As far as most of Stormreach is concerned, there was little difference between Dannel's Wrath and the Cyran refugees: beggars, criminals, and rapists, the whole lot of them.

Even within the company itself, there had been a little bit of excitement. Gadget seems to have left, and without leaving so much as a note. But then... perhaps it wasn't surprising; he did used to work for a squad of covert warforged commandos.

In the meantime, however, the members of Xen'drik Outreach Society headed into the same district for another business: to answer the request made by Brelish Consul Rusila ir'Clarn.

The company's shareholder, Lysette, wasn't available to make introductions as she was still out of town; but no matter, as Leah had become somewhat familiar with the place. The officious building itself was an example of the consulate's lofty past -- when it represented the interests of the united, continental kingdom of Galifar and its agreement with the ex-pirate lords. But these days, it was an outpost that Breland could hardly care about.

Nevertheless, Rusila was a woman of class and privilege, and saw to it that the consulate was fully staffed and well connected. The party was greeted at the iron gates by an impeccably mannered butler, who soon lead the group down its marble halls to Rusila's meeting room -- complete with crystal chandeliers and antique tables made from Aundairian (although these days it should be called 'Eldeen') redwood.

"Welcome, welcome!" the consul stood up as she warmly waved the group to sit down. "It's still a bit early, so if you have any requests for breakfast or just a drink, Kyrillo--" she nodded towards the Butler, "--would be happy to take it."

As a Brelish woman in her early thirties, Rusila has long, dark hair; pale skin; and large violet eyes that suggest some elven blood. Her voice rings deep and smoky for a woman, but well intonated as she's an accomplished singer with music from goblin dirges to Brelish ballads.

"My cook is quite wonderful," she added with a cheery look, "as Leah can undoubtedly attest to."

It didn't take long before the pleasantries were out of the way and Rusila could delve down into business:

"It's good to have some people I can trust for this sort of task," she began with a smile. "The fact is -- this is a somewhat unpleasant task, even if we are on the side of justice.

"No doubt you've heard about the explosion Dannel's Wrath caused yesterday. Well, in Breland where I am from, the Swords of Liberty are even worse... these are terrorists actively trying to incite a war. Their attacks range everywhere from the Towers of Sharn to New Cyre, hoping to ignite dormant ethnic tensions and restart the conflict because they think Breland can win and rule the continent. The fact they claim to be fighting for the Brelish Republican movement against 'monarchical oppression' only makes it worse for what is otherwise a perfectly legitimate and progressive political faction that is concerned for the future welfare of the Brelish people."

"I have information from Breland -- straight from trusted sources -- that at least one cell of the Swords of Liberty have landed in Stormreach around ten days ago. What are they here for is something even we don't know. But what must be done is straightforward enough," her eyes glistened with stern determination. "I want you all to track these people down... wherever they're hiding. Find out why they are here, if you can..."

"--But make sure you slit their throats and cast their bodies into the sea," she finished with such a pleasant smile that it felt unnerving.

Of course, nobody in Stormreach would care. With all the crime gangs vying for power in this frontier city, a fresh body could be found at the docks almost every day.

"Dirty, but the right thing to do nonetheless. Plus you'll be well paid," she added as icing on top, "and I'll make sure that you'll be well connected for future businesses."
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mission 3 - Sword Hunt

Postby Squall255 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Goodberry requests a simple glass of water, and holds it with his index finger resting in the clear liquid (similar to a root drawing in water).

Otherwise he sits quietly and lets the more social people work their magic, trying to take note of the varied tones they are using during their banter. He has no outward reaction to the topic. Infact the concept of killing the apparent enemy makes perfect sense to him and he doesn't understand why Rusila is dodging around the fact that we are ordered to kill people.

When they go to leave, he pings Gorin telepathically *Why did she avoid saying she wanted them dead for so long?*
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Kadi
Axemember
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kadi » Thu May 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Stormreach Company: ( / )

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Do you have any leads already which we can pursue further? The ship they arrived on, maybe an inn they stayed at, possible contacts, possible targets?

"Sorry, it was difficult for my sources to just get this much information. The only thing we know is that they arrived from Breland -- which means most likely from Sharn by ship -- around ten to twelve days ago. Not much but it's a start."

Do you have information, or have someone in mind with information, that can help us infiltrate them? In order to find possible other cells and root them all out.

"I could recommend you to one of the inquisitives within the city, but they'll charge you for information. For the most part, the people I deal with in Stormreach aren't the type that a skulking group of terrorists might contact; not if they wish to avoid drawing undue attention," Rusila admits.

Leah has experience with this from the dinner party: the consul's associates are all pretty 'upper class'.

Do you want their end to send a message to their ilk? I'm sure we can arrange something.

"No, that won't be necessary," she states flatly.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon May 16, 2016 1:49 pm

*The same reason our commanders used to: Clean folks don't like to talk dirty.* Gorin pinged back.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

skychan
Lighted Member

Postby skychan » Mon May 16, 2016 2:33 pm

At first Koko doesn't look all that interested in the possibility of going out and killing some people. But, as soon as it becomes clear that we don't actually already know who they are or where they are she starts to perk up and pay more attention. By the point it becomes obvious that some infiltration work may be required she's working to control the nervous excitement the assignment brings.

Given that Leah is serving as their spokesmouth Koko sends her thoughts to voice. "Please ask if we have hard numbers on how many individuals have entered, and how should we handle any locals that they may have recruited to their cause?"

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 pm

( assuming Leah passes along the question... )
Rusila: "my sources believe that only one cell came to Stormreach -- around 5 to 8 people."
|

()

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 pm

"Are we to work with the Stomreach Guard on this job, or is this a strictly independent operation?"
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 19, 2016 1:40 pm

"Independent. I doubt the guard would even care," Rusila chuckles. "What's it to them that criminals from a foreign nation have landed -- just another drop in the bucket for Stormreach."
|

()

Kadi
Axemember

Postby Kadi » Fri May 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri May 20, 2016 6:45 pm

<Telepathy> "I was already planning on checking in with Lucille when I went to go have a look at the explosion site. Since we're not working with the Guard, we're probably best off not attracting their attention with anything we do on this one."

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

skychan
Lighted Member

Postby skychan » Mon May 23, 2016 1:40 pm

After nodding agreeably to Leah's idea Koko contemplates to the others. "I think I'll start at the docks. I may be able to at least catch a description of them even if it is otherwise a dead end. It could also let me get some idea's on where Brelish newcomers might find welcome or succor, or if they are being professional about it, where they might want to avoid!" She is grinning now, and looking forward to things.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon May 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Before you depart, Rusila's butler brings you the 500gps downpayment (can't forget that! xD)

( when you're ready, start giving me some context -- who/where to ask, what to ask, etc -- and gather information checks! )
|

()

Kadi
Axemember

Postby Kadi » Mon May 23, 2016 3:15 pm

[If we do go with an infiltration thing, I'd like it if we could use a timeslot for Ahz teach Leah (and Koko?) about what he found out about the Swords of Liberty. Knowing which which ideological buttons to press should give Leah (and Koko?) an edge. Meanwhile we can plan a scenario how we can make them want our association in the first place. If we don't go with an infiltration... any other plans to make sure we don't miss a cell/get everyone involved? Any better plans in general?]

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Fri May 27, 2016 6:32 pm

(Added downpayment to company liquid assets)

(I'm okay with using a timeslot for teaching. Infiltration/No Infiltration, either way we have to locate them first - that's my higher priority.)

(No additional questions from me)

Return to “Game Threads”