Mission 2 - Carnivorous Gardens (Feb 6 - Feb 9)

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Mission 2 - Carnivorous Gardens (Feb 6 - Feb 9)

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Type: Extermination
Description: Someone -- probably an amateur herbalist -- has brought a deadly plant back to the Gardens of Respite. It has either infected or controlled the other plants, which are now attacking anyone who wishes to use the sanctuary. The Healers Guild and House Jorasco would like someone to go in and selectively exterminate the problem while keeping as much of the non-infested plants unharmed as possible.
Downpayment: 500gps
Payment: up to 2,000gps, depending on your performance; burn down the gardens and you won't receive anything.
Time Needed: One day?
Time Limit: One week

---------------

February 6th (Week 1 Day 5)...

The morning fog had yet to lift from Stormreach as a low-pressure front pushed north from the rainforests. The month was still winter, a dry season for this frontier city. But this wave of oppressive humidity already foretold of the seasons to come, reminding members of flesh and blood to look upon the composite warforged with envy.

Respite district has always been considered the core of the ancient city. At every turn, the massive beams, columns, and floating ruins remind visitors of the magnificence of giant architecture. Even today it is considered one of the wealthiest districts in the city. The presence of the House Jorasco enclave here makes it clear that halflings do not run a charity -- they expend to be well paid for their medical services.

...But by the same token, the party expects to be paid in return for helping them.

The representative and main healer of House Jorasco in Stormreach is Alhaura d'Jorasco, a halfling even more squeaky in appearance than the rest of her kind. Yet despite her low stature, her constant expression of a stern governess left no question to whom is in charge here. Whatever stereotypes most hear about the meat-gnawing, dino-riding, adventurous halfling of the plains, it clearly did not apply to her.

"Adventurers for the garden," an aide noted as Alhaura stared at the party from down the hall.

"What is this, the fourth group?"

"Fifth."

"Well, let's hope this bunch actually prove worthy of my time," the healer sighed before walking up.

"Ladies, gentlemen, and..." she stared at Goodberry "foliage. Well I'm sure you'll certainly fit right into the gardens."

She then turns to the rest:

"My time is in short supply so I'll make this quick. Some idiot brought back a carnivorous plant from the rainforest and into the Gardens of Respite. We're not sure what it is because so far, nobody has managed to bring a sample back. Four groups have gone before you, and we've yet to hear back from any of them -- whether they've simply ran off with our downpayment or because they've simply been swallowed up by the plants. In truth, I'm not sure I can trust a no-name startup like your company either; but that Brelish businesswoman, Lysette, is one of our suppliers, so some faith is in order."

"I can't give you much information because we lack it ourselves. All I know is that the Gardens as a whole has been marked off-limited, which means my healers can't get there to retrieve much-needed herbs. Incidents of people gone missing have occurred all over the garden, so either the plants they brought back grew legs or the infestation has spread. In either case, nobody has been able to even give verbal accounts of the perpetrator, so clearly this carnivorous plant hides well among the foliage. Even my attempts to scry has come to naught in identifying the cause. But knowing that it is a plant -- I suggest you go prepared with aliments against poison and disease."

"If you have any questions, make it quick. I have a meeting with Omaren coming up," Alhaura spoke of the Stormlord of the forge as she waved her aide forward, his hands carrying a purse of gold coins for the group's downpayment (500gps).
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mission 2

Postby Squall255 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Goodberry speaks, as though addressing a commander. "Yes ma'am, Primary objective is to eradicate the hostile carnivorous plant. Are there any particular plants that you need clippings of that we should retrieve while we are in there? Any species you are running critically low on? I am well studied on many species of plants and how to harvest them."
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Gorin took a moment to digest the halflings information before responding.

"Do you know who brought the first man-eater, and where they got it from?" He asked. His detached, laid-back demeanor in stark contrast to 'Sgt. Plant's' upright enthusiasm.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Alhaura looks at Goodberry with a bare smile. "I miss soldiers. Quick and straight to the point. We've run out of wolfsbane and short on chamomile. But focus on exterminating the problem; I could always send another to collect the herbs."

"And no, I have no idea which idiot brought it back. Many adventurers bring back samples to the gardens, some without even bothering to tell us," she says with obvious annoyance.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:38 am

"Is there an aide I can talk to for a list of known poisonous plants that we should look out for in the gardens?"
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:54 am

Alhaura looks at her aide: "do we have a catalog?"

"Sort of," he answers before turning to the party. "we have a rough list of the plants available, though it's not complete. I can give you a herbology book with the ones we know that are in there marked to give you a better reference."

( Goodberry receives a (bonus on Know[nature] to identify plants only) from the aide some time after the conversation, with a number of pages marked according to plants that could be expected ).
|

()

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:15 am

Goodberry replies with the same military tone as before.
"I have no further questions Lady d'Jorasco. I shall consult with your aide, and we shall procure the appropriate anti-toxins and head into the gardens as soon as possible. With luck, your plants will be free of the shadow of this infestation by supper. Enjoy your meeting."

After consulting with the book:

Knowledge Nature to ID appropriate anti-toxins: 1d20+7 = (9,10)+7 = 17
Profession Herbalist to do the same: 1d20+11 = (2,12)+11= 23
(|)
(|)

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:55 am

The aide looks puzzled as Goodberry flips through the book already. After hearing about intentions, he says:

"There's several dozen plants in there with poisonous secretions of one type or another in there, especially on the lower levels that doesn't welcome outside visitors. You'll have better luck with general antitoxins than trying to pull together all the specific counter-reagents. The good news is I don't think any of the older plants in there actively tries to eat anything larger than an insect; such things are just too dangerous to keep around in a public place like that."

(there is a limited number though; Goodberry feels like that if he takes 4 hours to study these he could have a much better chance of spotting them [+5 passive perception for the marked poisonous plants for 2 days])
|

()

skychan
Lighted Member

Postby skychan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Koko, choosing an exotic look today, tall, thin, but with a nice dress that prominently frames her sexual characteristics to help Dr. Goodberry with his identification of gender, is standing in the back and looking pretty. Although listening attentively to the conversation her mood seems to be dropping until near the end where she lets out a little sigh. "Plant's, there is no talking with plants."

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Telepathically to Koko:
"Actually I find that plants have plenty to say. The problem is you think your ears are the only thing that can listen."

Also: while meditating and regaining his power points in the morning, he reflects on the various poisons and toxins in many plants and preapares in place of Biofeedback.

Since it is a [Healing] subdiscipline spell, it gains the [Network] descriptor thanks to class ability. With the [Network] descriptor, I can manifest it with 1 PP augment to affect an extra member of my collective with class feature. (3 PP base cost + 1 PP augment = cap of 4PP = ML 4). Just before we enter the garden, I will manifest this 3 times to affect all 6 teammates who are going that aren't already immune to poison: Koko, Ashkharan, Ahz, Adoett, Leah, and Gorin. The buff lasts for 4 hours, at which point any poison still in their system will start to take effect.

This leaves me at 17/29 PP for the day, with a 2PP cognizance crystal.

Once an hour, he will use (standard action on each person) to try to detect if anyone has been poisoned or caught a disease. Heal is +11, I can roll if you'd like (let me know when) or we can wait while I take 10's.
(|)
(|)

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:25 pm

( It's been a week and it seems like any preparations people could think of are done... )

By the time Goodberry finishes studying the book and everyone arrives at the Gardens of Respite, it's already mid-afternoon and the fog has lifted from the gardens.

The Gardens are situated within a rectangular building and divided into three tiers. After climbing the entrance stairs, the party arrives on the topmost tier first. On most days, people often came here for a relaxing stroll upon the many flowers and plants. But now, only an eerie silence drifted across the this exotic habitat.

On this top level, the stone covered walkways are 15ft wide to accommodate the visitors. Around 2-5ft of gap separates the walkway from the plants themselves, which may grow in anything from isolated individuals to dense clumps that could fill an entire room. The level stretches several hundred feet in both width and depth, but its crisscrossing walkways ensure that no piece of exposed soil is more than 35ft away from the nearest footpath.

( alright, any special descriptions of how you wish to search about this place? Other buffs? I need marching order/formations! Will be using Passive Perceptions )
|

()

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:17 pm

Goodberry takes the lead, suggesting they stay in one group. With no obvious commotion in any direction, he starts a clockwise search spiraling inward.

Marching order:

Goodberry (Passive Perception 18, 23 vs marked plants), Gorin second, Koko, Ahz, Leah, and leaving Adoett last (probably high fort save, and can see over everyone anyway)

Koko and Ahz are in the middle to minimize toxin exposure, due to suspicion of low fortitude.
(|)
(|)

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Ahz has purchased 2 antitoxins for himself using his own funds and 4 more antitoxins using company funds.
(-75 GP from personal funds, -150 GP from company funds)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:48 am

Once Gorin enters the garden, he stops for a moment. Crouching, he places his one of his hands flat to the ground and remains there in a serene silence for almost a minute.

(I'm going out on a limb here: Gorin is trying to use his connection nature to see if he can sense any taint or corruption in the garden).
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:53 pm

|

()

Return to “Game Threads”