PENTHIAE CAMPAIGN QUESTIONS

Rules, Custom Mechanics, & other important data.

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

PENTHIAE CAMPAIGN QUESTIONS

Postby Zanaikin » Wed May 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Questions and updates regarding the campaign setting and the plotline...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed May 03, 2006 9:07 pm

first update regarding Misalin is up, that took me quite a while to write... @_@... enjoy
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat May 13, 2006 10:05 pm

umm, finished writing about most of Misalin I guess, unless someone can think of more 'common knowledge' details that I forgot about.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:28 am

some changes and some things finished:

1. Critical Strike
A critical strike (or sniping shot, if ranged) is an attack aimed specifically to be a critical hit. The attacker must make a single attack as a full action against the target’s critical AC (normal AC +12 [8size +4cover]), with a bonus equal to your critical threat range –1 (i.e. a critical range of 18-20/x2 would gain a +2 attack bonus when making a critical strike). If the attack beats the critical AC, the attack is an automatic critical. If the attack fails to hit the critical AC but beats the normal AC, the attack is still considered a normal hit.
When making a critical strike, you take a –5 penalty to dexterity & dodge AC (to a minimum of 0 total dexterity & dodge AC) unless you have uncanny dodge. You may not use combat expertise when making a critical strike. Natural-20-rule does not apply to Critical Strike attacks.
If your opponent is at least two sizes bigger than you, you may make a critical strike as a standard action instead and take only a –2 penalty to dexterity & dodge AC. If your opponent is at least four sizes bigger than you, you may make a critical strike as an attack action instead, take no penalty to AC, and may use combat expertise as normal.

2. Knockout Attack
A knockout attack must be done with either bludgeoning or non-lethal damage against an enemy denied of his/her dexterity modifier to AC. A knockout attack takes a full action and requires a successful attack against the opponent’s critical AC. A successful knockout attack is treated as an automatic critical hit with maximized damage. Also, the opponent must make a fortitude save (DC = damage) or fall unconscious for 1d6+1 minutes. If they target fails the save by 5 or more, they fall unconscious for 1d3 hours instead.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:15 am

something I highly suggestion as reading material on D&D gaming:

|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:11 am

added after discussion with dave & marty a while back, never remembered to put it into the rules until now

8. Energy Resistance / Immunity
When casting resist energy, protection from energy, energy immunity, and similar spells, you may choose positive energy or negative energy instead of one of the five elemental energy types (acid, fire, cold, electricity, sonic). Only divine spellcasters may take advantage of this rule.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:24 pm

action points cleared:

I had the uses of action points written down before in the feats category, but not in rules (where people actually pay attention), so now that's updated:

ACTION POINS:
1. A character with the Heroic Spirit feat (free feat at character level six) may use action points. At each level, the character gains action points equal to (5 + half character level). Characters may regain lost action points at the rate of 1 per week, up to a maximum of (5 + half character level). The Heroic Spirit feat allows a character to spend up to 1 action point per round (at any time before the result of an action is declared) to perform one of the following:
• Boost any roll, save, check, AC (dodge bonus) against a single attack, or DC for a single effect by rolling 1d6 per seven character levels and adding the best resulting die.
• Gain temporary hit points equal to 1d6 per seven character levels. These hit points last for 1 round.
• Reroll any roll, save, or check. You must keep the result, even if it is worse than the original roll.
• Make an extra attack during a full attack at your highest base attack bonus.
• Take an extra swift action or 5ft step.
• Gain the effects of any one feat you choose for one round; you must meet all the requirements of the chosen feat.
• Use any class ability or feat that has a limited number of uses per day (such as smite) one additional time.
• Double the bonuses for fighting defensively.
• Double the bonuses of any one feat you have for 1 round. You may also double the bonuses of feats such as combat expertise (up to an addition +5 AC) or power attack. You may not double the bonuses of a feat emulated by an action point.
• Self-Rally as a free action, using the character’s will save (same DC as a normal rally action, as described in Heroes of Battle)
• Increase effective casting level of a spell, effective manifesting level of a power, or effective turning level of a turn / rebuke undead action by +1 per seven character levels. Powers may be augmented to their boosted manifesting level.
• Recall any prepared spell cast (and retain the spell for later use as if it wasn’t spent).
• Cast any spontaneous spell or manifest any power without expending a spell slot. All normal rules apply.
• Add the bonuses of one metamagic or metapsionic feat you have to a spell or power you cast or manifest without increasing the level of spell slot, the power points used, the casting time, or expend psionic focus. Metamagic and metapsionic feats without a fixed spell level or power point increase cannot be applied through this method.
A character with the Action Boost feat (free feat at character level eleven) may roll d8s instead of d6s for determining the bonuses of action point boosts.

2. A character with the Action Surge feat (free feat at character level sixteen) may spend up to 2 action points per round. This grants the ability to use two action points to perform any one of the following:
• Take an extra standard action or move action.
• Force your opponent to reroll a natural 20 roll on an attack action.

3. A character with the Heroic Surge feat (free feat at character level twenty-one) regains lost action points at the rate of 1 per day instead of 1 per week.

Additional ways to use action points upon request. This list was compiled with much help from the methods in UA.
Using two action points to force your opponent to reroll a natural 20 attack roll is the only way to attempt to save yourself from the triple 20 instant kill effect, or a double 20 auto-crit, or (if you really need it) single 20 auto-hit. I call this the "denying fate" action :)

another clarification (after people's complaints):

2. Sources: All Wizard of the Coast sources allowed (including dragon magazine), with exceptions to Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic, Psionics (not including Soulknife & Soulknife prestige classes and feats). A copy of the used material is required if the DM does not have the available source. The DM reserves the right to deny any class, feat, or spell due to character history, location, and campaign world design.

3. Parallel Classes:
If you have at least 10Int & 10Wis: you may double class (see Gestalt class, UA), one class must be your racial favored class at all times.
*You can double class starting at the level you meet requirements.
One exception to Gestalt Rule: Instead of gaining skill points based on the highest class, you instead get X1 + Int + X2, where:
X1: base skill point (not include int) of highest skill class
X2: (second highest skill class)-2
Example: Rogue/Fighter is 8+(2-2)+Int = 8+Int
*Your maximum caster level from class progressions (without bonuses from special abilities) is equal to your character level. Your maximum bonus to level dependent abilities (such as smite) is equal to your character level. Your maximum precision damage (total of sneak attack, sudden strike, skirmish, etc) is equal to 1d6 per two character levels. All other level dependent abilities you gain in multiple classes should be cleared with the DM.
*You may not use classes that promote full progression of two base classes’ abilities (such as mystic theurge or arcane trickster).

for new players who don't know this yet:
2. Mental Stat Bonus Feats
All characters may gain bonus feats for having a high intelligence & wisdom (characters with exceptional high stats may gain a third parallel class line). Exact specifics requirements are kept secret to reduce metagaming. Consult DM after determining your mental stats.
|

()

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:07 pm

i fixed the spelling on Mystic Theurge for you so that nobody wonders what a Mystic Surge is.

and have you come to a decision on if Blade gets a third class line?
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:20 pm

eh no, i ll look at his stats later
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:01 am

after matching the power of action points from UA to Eberron campaign setting, I decided to change things a bit. Mostly more some of the really powerful things down to 2 action points instead of one. Also removed the instant metamagic deal... wayy too much.

ACTION POINS:
1. A character with the Heroic Spirit feat (free feat at character level six) may use action points. At each level, the character gains action points equal to (5 + half character level). Characters may regain lost action points at the rate of 1 per week, up to a maximum of (5 + half character level). The Heroic Spirit feat allows a character to spend up to 1 action point per round (at any time before the result of an action is declared) to perform one of the following:
• Boost any roll, save, check, AC (dodge bonus) against a single attack, or DC for a single effect by rolling 1d6 per seven character levels (rounded up) and adding the best resulting die.
• Gain temporary hit points equal to 1d6 per seven character levels. These hit points last for 1 round.
• Reroll any roll, save, or check. You must keep the result, even if it is worse than the original roll.
• Make an extra attack during a full attack at your highest base attack bonus.
• Take an extra swift action or 5ft step.
• Gain the effects of any one feat you choose for one round; you must meet all the requirements of the chosen feat.
• Double the bonuses for charging or fighting defensively.
• Double the bonuses of any one feat you have for 1 round. You may also double the bonuses of feats such as combat expertise (up to an addition +5 AC) or power attack. You may not double the bonuses of a feat emulated by an action point.
• Self-Rally as a free action, using the character’s will save against fear (same DC as a normal rally action, as described in Heroes of Battle). Resistance and luck bonuses don’t apply. This counts as a mind-affecting effect.
• Increase effective casting level of a spell, effective manifesting level of a power, or effective turning level of a turn / rebuke undead action by +1 per seven character levels (rounded up). Powers may be augmented to their boosted manifesting level.
A character with the Action Boost feat (free feat at character level eleven) may roll d8s instead of d6s for determining the bonuses of action point boosts.

2. A character with the Action Surge feat (free feat at character level sixteen) may spend up to 2 action points per round. This grants the ability to use two action points to perform any one of the following:
• Take an extra standard action or move action.
• Force your opponent to reroll a natural 20 roll on an attack action.
• Use any class ability or feat that has a limited number of uses per day (such as smite) one additional time.
• Recall any prepared spell cast this round (and retain the spell for later use as if it wasn’t spent).
• Cast any spontaneous spell or manifest any power without expending a spell slot. All normal rules apply.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:33 am

one change:

from 30 point buy stats to 32 point buy!!!

yay!

Marty talk to me about this :P
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:52 am

as you may have heard:

2. The Leadership feat and all related feats are considered obsolete. All characters are treated as having a leadership score and capable of acquiring both cohorts and followers. A character’s leadership score is their character level + charisma modifier + rank + reputation modifiers (DM’s discretion). A character may try to gain multiple cohorts, although they take a –2 to their leadership modifier for each cohort they already have. Cohorts do not have to be at least two levels lower than your character level (thus a character with high charisma, high rank, and renowned reputation may obtain a cohort of higher level).
Cohorts and followers can only be acquired through the means of in-game roleplaying with NPCs. Therefore players don’t design their cohorts; they try to get a NPC to join the party under their flag. The player have control of their cohorts for most actions, although the DM may interfere for roleplaying, NPC history, and other character design and plot related reasons. When a cohort levels up, the DM has control of the levels, abilities, skills, spells, and feats to gain (with player consultation).
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:12 am

|

()

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:12 pm

hey dai, can we get commander auras? (from Heroes of Battle)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:13 pm

only if you take marshal levels (which I have a variant of that SPECIALIZES in improved rallying effects and commander auras) :P I'll post that soon enough lol
|

()

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Game Mechanics & Rules”