Mission 4: Mikawa Recruitment (Part II)

Moderator: Zanaikin

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mission 4: Mikawa Recruitment (Part II)

Postby Laharl » Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 am

(I have more rumors to spread next week, but I can't do that yet. Nothing really in the meantime, I'm afraid.)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Fri May 04, 2012 7:35 pm

(No questions raised, no a single one...)

The next day... Terasaka gathers the group together, along with Genichirou, Touka, and Taira (who stayed at the rebel camp overnight) and arrives at the appointed location near the target village. It was a quiet area, with mostly sparse woods nearby, the road just barely in view, and no farmers within eyesight. Based on scout reports, no Oda, Tokugawa, or Takeda force have been seen around, but Touka's cautious nature brought a squad of skirmishers and deployed scouts in the area anyhow...

The Saji sent a message ahead that their party will be arriving later than usual, due to the need to avoid some "Tokugawa entanglements".

Around forty minutes late, a group of five samurai walked into the woods, disguised as mercenary ronin with varying degrees of succeed. Three of them fanned out as obvious guards, samurai retainers who held a naginata with one hand with a heavy shield was strapped onto the other. Terasaka recognizes the fourth as a samurai he saw within the household yesterday--- possibly one of the guard commanders given his distinguished armor.

The fifth, a dignified and handsome young man in his twenties, was the youngest and yet the leader of the group. He walked up to the party and bowed politely (followed by the other four).

"I am Tadatsuni Kazusa. On behalf of Lord Saji, I have come to open negotiations with the emissaries of Lord Tougou. I apologize for the inconvenience, but our residence is carefully watched by tanuki informants and it would not be possible to speak freely otherwise."
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Terasaka bows in return.

"Discretion is no inconvenience- it is impossible to be too cautious at this stage. But I forget myself, let me make introductions. I am Terasaki Takayoshi, Lord Tougou's agent here, and this is Taira Eichi, one of Lord Tougou's intelligence advisers. I'm happy to say you won't nee to negotiate with us though- once we do one last sweep of the area we are planning to have Lord Tougou teleport in personally to meet with you."
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 pm

The emissary Kazusa nodded in acceptance and decided to simply politely await the next step...

Touka then informs that the scouts haven't detected any suspicious activities in the area.

(Since you're arranging for Tougou to do the diplomacy, I'm guessing I should just give you guys a fast-forwarding synopsis once Terasaka calls him in?)
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Terasaka uses his Greater Communication Ring to contact Tougou and tell him that the Saji emissaries are here and the area is free of hostiles.

(fast-forward sequence sounds good)
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

The Meeting, Abridged

Postby Zanaikin » Fri May 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Akiyama teleported in after a few minutes, bringing along Tougou Tsuyoshi as well as an unfamiliar samurai, whose fine armor probably made him one of the captains or leaders of the loyal samurai that rejoined Tougou since returning from exile. Despite Tadatsuni Kazusa's polite introduction, Tougou quickly points out, in a rather direct and unpolitical way, that he'd recognize Saji Kazu's slight differences in mannerisms anywhere. Ousted by their past familiarity, the head of the Saji clan dispensed with his half-illusory half-material disguise, and a long conversation in negotiations began between the two.

Saji Kazu seemed impressed by the audacity of the Tougou's young lord, an exiled liege but a few years younger than himself. After prodding Tougou's philosophical and ethical views with some questions of his own, the Saji head remarked that he believed it would be good if the Tougou, and especially the samurai who followed him once again, could return to protect Mikawa. He wasn't sure if allying with the Oda was best method to start this, since the Oda's recent behavior was 'spontaneous and unpredictable' at best...

But nevertheless, Saji Kazu offered the services of his clan, but only under two conditions: One, Tougou must achieve an 'alliance' with one of the major powers currently prying for control of Mikawa, because Kazu himself is under no illusion that Tougou's followers alone could protect Mikawa's people in the midst of this chaotic war. Two, Saji Kazu finally revealed the reason why he bowed down so obediently before the Tokugawa years ago --- under the presumption that Tougou Tsuyoshi had died during the coup de'tat, only one member of the Tougou clan had survived and was captured by the Tokugawa.

--- Tougou Tsuyoshi still had a direct family relation left: his elder sister, Sen, held by the tanuki somewhere deep within the confines of Okazaki Castle.

Thus as long as she continues to be held hostage, his hands were tied, for Kazu once made an oath he was not willing to betray unless the most dire of circumstances demand it. His best men were too closely watched to attempt a rescue without raising suspicions, but he would be more than willing to help coordinate with an outside attempt by drawing Tanuki attention elsewhere...

The negotiations, if the nostalgic-tinged discussion between the two leaders could be called that, went on for some further time before Tougou called Terasaka and Yuuta over and gave them two new missions:

1. Open contact with the Oda and set up the groundwork for him to directly negotiate with the Oda leadership...
2. Raid Okazaki Castle (again) and rescue Princess Sen.
|

()

Squall255
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Rainer listens to the two lords discuss their views, and decides that this Tougou will indeed treat the people well, and could lead this region to prosperity. He calmly waits for the summit to complete before being introduced to the lord. (I don't have much I want to talk to him about, but feel like we should probably be introduced face to face at some point considering the support I'm providing for his elite squad.)
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Terasaka nods his assent, suggesting that they first make contact with the Oda, and delay the rescue mission until the last possible second- breaking out the last surviving member of the Tougou clan will probably set off some alarms among the tanuki, and could well lead to them discovering the plot.

He also asks Saji Kazu to gather together all the information he can find to help with the final planning of the coup once the Oda are on board. Things of particular interest:
-The head(s) of the Tokugawa government and their heirs and lieutenants
-The layout of the capital and its key buildings (residences of leaders, administrative buildings, symbolic buildings)
-The deployment of the Tokugawa armies
-The major army commanders and their loyalties/effectiveness
-The means of communication between the government and the army (spellcasters with Sending, magic items, messengers, birds, etc- is it possible to interdict these?)
-The internal security forces, their locations, responsibilities, and commanders
-The other major samurai houses, their house leaders, their personalities/loyalties and likely responses to a coup
-The government bureaucracy (ie, will it accept a change of government? Are there departments with the capability to intervene to oppose the coup? Are there individuals/departments that would create trouble afterwars?)
-Other significant individuals and factions that could intervene
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 pm

(Squall: make a diplomacy check)

Saji nods towards Terasaka, but not without some hesitance. "We'll do what we can to get you some of that, especially what we already have, but I won't let my men attract any more attention than absolutely necessary until the operation hits; hope you understand."

He then looked up into the dusk skies that's growing darker by the moment with concern. "I have to get back before they think I vanished off somewhere, so if there's nothing else..."

Tougou looked over at his chief-of-staff Akiyama, who stepped forward to politely present three of their greater communication rings.

"Our network; should help stay in contact, not to mention you can use them to talk to Terasaka and Yuuta whenever they're near the city."

( anyone need anything else? )
|

()

Squall255
Race: All of them
Class: Support

Postby Squall255 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 am

(Diplomacy: )
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Rainer introduced himself to Lord Tougou (and the head of Saji) with quite exceptional eloquence, which not only seemed to have given them an obviously good first-impression of the engineer, but even impressed those whose been hanging around him for a few days.

(if this were a career fair, that check might have sent you straight to the second interview =P)

(also, I haven't noted yet: but Rainer is now on Helpful relationship with the Mikawa rebels, especially the layman [rest of party on Friendly terms], for all his help recently --- although they do view Rainer with some skepticism to his eccentricity and obsession with new weapon designs over tried-and-true methods and tools of the veterans --- Rainer's character thread has a note on this).

[ if there's nothing else --- you guys can plan for the next step. Judson your recent actions threw me off so much I'm not even sure where to go right now xD Dave are you still going to coming in and out of the town now that initial rumor-spreading is finished? ]
[ Btw: ingame time --- this meeting takes place on dusk of November 5th ]
|

()

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Wed May 16, 2012 1:58 am

(Probably best - I want to keep a pulse on how well the rumors are spreading and stay up on the general sentiment.)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed May 23, 2012 3:07 pm

|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Actions:

On the night of the 5th, Terasaka will contact Rance with a Sending:

"I can deliver you Mikawa on a silver platter. I would meet with you or your agents immediately- time is of the essence."

Terasaka will also talk to Tougou and Saji about princess Sen, trying to find out everything he can both about her and about the conditions of her imprisonment (see below).

Planning:

Princess Sen: Held at Okazaki Castle, from whence we must rescue her. However, if we act too soon it could give the game away- If Tokugawa Leyasu realizes that his leverage over the Saji and other old families has suddenly vanished, he will immediately suspect that Something is Up. Some quick divinations could reveal all our plans, and even without knowledge he could place to Saji forces to minimize their ability to stab him in the back.

Current Plan: Terasaka, Akira, and Sugire sneak into Okazaki castle using Invisibility and Gaseous Form. Akira disguises herself as the princess and takes her place, while Terasaka uses Word of Recall to remove himself, Sugire, and Sen. If the plan works, we will be able to bring Princess Sen to safety well before the coup without alerting the Tokugawa. This allows us to act with certainty, and frees up the party to participate in another part of the plan.

Details: Akira is given various potions to help her escape when we send her word that the coup is on (Invisibility, Gaseous Form). A small raid by the rest of the party on a different part of the castle as we infiltrate will set off magical alarms and distract guards, hopefully allowing the infiltrators to escape detection even if there are Alarm spells or other safeguards. It would be best to find a plausible objective for the raid, such as gunpowder stores, seige weapons, or key defense points that we could sabotage, or officers/leaders we could assassinate. Need Info on this.

We Need to Know: Where in the castle is the princess being held? How closely is she watched? How is she guarded? Etc etc. Do we have any of this knowledge already?

The best way to find this information is from the Princess herself, or by scrying on her. A Sending spell could ask for information on how she is held and tell her to not resist scrying attempts. What is she like? Will she be able to keep everything secret if she is in the know? Will she break down under stress?

Tokugawa Leyasu and the army at Yoshida: We must defeat the army and kill or capture Tokugawa Leyasu. Details of this are probably best left to the Oda, since they are the ones doing the heavy lifting. The party could probably contribute here as a special strike team.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri May 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Sending reply from Rance:
"Mikawa is already a free meal you idiot, at least come up with something better; and who the fuck are you?"

Rescue Mission Planning:

Tougou tells you he has absolutely no details on this one, seeing as the fact his sister is even alive is news to him.

Saji praises you for the excellent idea that allows the operation to be mounted ahead of the main battle. However, he tells you they don't have any better knowledge than the fact she's confined somewhere in the depth of Okazaki Castle; treated rather well from what he could tell when they last met (about every few weeks), except looking pale and not getting much in the way of exercise (obviously!). Given her personality and energy, there is no doubt that the Tokugawa would have to keep her under close guard or she would have escaped long ago (in fact they suspect she has tried several times in the past). Sen was also quite a warrior back in the day, but after years of confinement that's not going to be the case anymore... at least, not until she comes out long enough to recover.

Spells like Scrying and Sending on her are being blocked in some way --- otherwise they would have coordinated something long ago. Basically, any attempt going in will be working in the dark in the depth of the castle where few tread. It would be a fair assumption to expect security enplacements (traps and locks aplenty), and heavy dispel work will be needed to get past any magical warding...

Akira fully agreed to the plan, and says that a Potion of Gaseous Form + Invisibility should be enough for her to break out with in most circumstances. She'll pick up Gaseous Form potion in town with Sugire's funds, and requests Shigeru to made her an Personal Disappear potion. She also suggests that Yuuta, being the other covert specialist in the party, should be in this part of the operation --- and while she doesn't disagree to his coming, especially given teleportation, she does hint that Terasaka isn't exactly the stealthiest person around and should prepare himself to deal with that issue before he trip into walls...

As for the distraction, Sugire proposes igniting those catapults of theirs in the north force. The firebomb ammunition also, except where they're kept is a question.

(You also remember that during the last raid you guys made on Okazaki Castle, you guys stumbled into a hidden door in the depth of the armory that Rainer's construct was in... that may get somewhere...)
|

()

Return to “Missions”