Mission 4: Mikawa Recruitment

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Mission 4: Mikawa Recruitment

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:57 pm

For nearly a minute, tense, uncomfortable silence filled the room as Tougou stared at Terasaka, his face completely devoid of emotions. On someone like him who usually couldn't wipe the smile off his face, this was downright intimidating. His chief of staff Akiyama held a frowning face, and both Genichirou and Touka also seemed horrified by what Terasaka just did--- even the most trusted of retainers don't enter such topics so casually, let alone an outsider!

Then, a wide smirk stretched its way across Tougou's face, baring his unreasonably white teeth (especially for an exile) on one side like a predator that would make even the Wolf Fangs proud.

"I like it."

"Sir?" Akiyama looked surprised, shocked really, and so were both of the Izayoi siblings.

"Toss a brick for a jade, exchange the guest for the host*--- it's exactly the kind of daring, farsighted, yet patient plan needed to retake our homeland, more even," Tougou explained to his chief of staff before turning back to Terasaka: "Well, Mister Terasaka Takayoshi, what details do you have planned in mind? Obviously, I'd need to lead the expedition myself to seize the Oda's interest and trust --- and we can assume that they'd be the side picked for now, but--- what resources do you think you need to set it up?"

"And--- an even more pertinent question: how would you like to place your allegiance and work for me?"

(Well darn Judson, that was the *first* time someone came up with something strategic that I completely didn't expect, nor plan for. I'm impressed; bonus XP to be given at end of this meeting.)
(*Strategems #17 and #30 of the 36)
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 am

Terasaka pauses for a long moment, deep in thought, before replying simply.

"It would be an honor to serve you, Lord Tougou."

He bows deeply before continuing with a wry smile,

"Although I fear I may have much to learn about court protocols and manners. But, regarding the details...

"Our plan must rely on two pillars of support: the strength of samurai in Mikawa still loyal to you, and the aid we can negotiate from the Oda. To succeed, we must seize the capital, kill or capture Tokugawa Leyasu and his heirs, and then neutralize the Tokugawa armies in the field.

"For support, I would suggest relying primarily on the Saji clan, and making cautious overtures to the Makino and Mizuno. The Makino and Mizuno have good reason to resent the tanuki who have stolen their ancestral homes and made them servants in their own castles. The Saji have been giving surreptitious aid to the rebels, and my divinations reveal that they still hold loyalty to your family. More input from those more familiar than myself with the Mikawa Houses," Terasaka glances at Taira Eichi, "would of course be welcome."

"From the Oda we need two things. An elite strike team to help us seize the capital, and coordination with their main armies in the field. The foreign mages that this Rance character has brought from the mainland could be particularly useful, since that's one area that both us and the tanuki are going to be weak in. Meanwhile, the main armies of the Oda play two important roles. First, they may be needed to draw away forces from the capital, perhaps by appearing threatening or by appearing vulnerable. Second, they will be vital in handling the Tokugawa field armies that remain after the coup.

"On the military details of the strike itself it is pointless to speculate. We need to know more about what, and more importantly who, we will have to work with. A powerful surprise attack to decapitate our enemy and seize his seat of power will no doubt play a role. The most important thing here is to find a way to position ourselves to strike without alerting the tanuki. Even if we find samurai still loyal to us, it could be tough to bring them to the capital without arousing suspicion. Perhaps Rance's foreign mages will have something to help with this... If not we'll just have to find supporters not tied up in the front lines and bring them to the capital with old fashioned sneakery.

"Last are the Tokugawa field armies, led by Tokugawa Leyasu's most trusted and loyal generals. The key here will be to have the Oda armies put them in a desperate position from one side, and attack the loyalty of their human followers on the other. If we play it correctly there's a chance we'll be able to neutralize them without bloodshed, although I wouldn't count on it."
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Tougou seems to generally agree with Terasaka's ideas and conclusions, nodding as he describes his rough plan. Afterward he asks the three about the latest information regarding the Oda-Takeda conflict, which the Izayoi siblings had no problem providing in the details they knew about. He then stared towards Akiyama, waiting for his chief of staff's analysis that came after several moments of deep thought:

"The Oda will win the next battle, but that will only start the war. With the death of Baba Shouen, the Takeda Red Battalion will no longer have unified command--- his Captains are far too fiery to listen to one another easily. It might be different if Takeda Shingen shows up, but insofar as we know, he's still engaged against the Uesugi in the northern front. However, what is certain is that the Takeda will be declaring all-out war against the Oda, even if they have to take a penalty in the truce with the Uesugi-Hojo alliance to do so."

"And they'll let them?" Tougou questioned in a tone like he already knew the answer.

"Most likely. The Useugi and Hojo clans' current diplomatic policy is to side against aggressor clans. The Oda's recent actions have firmly entrenched themselves in that category. Having two aggressors beat each other to death would be in their best interests."

"What's the likely outcome then?"

"The Takeda has the superior military, especially once they rally all the troops currently deployed against the Uesugi/Hojo alliance. The Oda, on top of foreign support, have more territories and better fortifications, but most of their land is recently conquered and require shaking down. Therefore it all depends on whether the Oda can hold their ground against the Takeda's first wave of attacks--- the longer they last, the more advantageous the situation will turn out for them. But if the Oda front collapses, the Takeda will roll over them within weeks --- so it's hard to say either way right now."

Tougou nods in agreement before taking the baton to explain some other details himself:

"I'd say your aim for the Saji clan is founded. The Saji had always been held in high regard by the lords of Mikawa. My father even once thought about betrothing my sister to Saji Kazu, then heir and the current clan head, since they grew up together. Of course, most of the samurai who left Mikawa after its fall believe the Saji to be traitors because they did switch allegiance to the Tokugawa--- so I don't think I need to tell you to proceed with caution, but otherwise you have my full approval."

"Unfortunately, my retainers are rather limited and I can't lend you anyone better in diplomacy than those already there," he then turns towards the two: "I'd like you two to lend your support to Terasaka," a 'recommendation' to which the Izayoi siblings accepted respectfully.

"...Taira Eichi had already given you his best available operatives for the mission. But if you need a combat squad or any other resources, inform me and I'll see what we can do."

( added resistance personnel to thread; added Outlaw Skirmisher and Outlaw Ambusher to bestiary )
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 am

Terasaka nods.

"Very good, we'll return to Mikawa and make contact with the Saji as soon as possible. Will you be negotiating with the Oda personally?"
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Tougou considered it for a second and nodded, "I will, once you open a conduit for us."

Before the meeting finishes, Tougou had a retainer bring in what you recognized as four Greater Communication Rings --- standard communication rings with the ability to send a message, per Sending, once per day (and more with lvl5 slots) to any other Communication Ring in the same network (obviously Tougou clan's in this case). He offer one each to Terasaka, Yuuta, and both Genichirou and Touka. Both of the Izayoi siblings gave their regular Comm Rings to him in return...
[I'll write up stats later...]

Tougou also requests if he could have Kikkawa Kiku's frying-pan-on-a-chain from Terasaka; he intended to give it back to the Mouri as a gesture of goodwill...

( anything else either of you want to do before we conclude this trip ? )
|

()

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Yuuta, still kind of stunned by the this series of developments, accepts the greater comms ring and returns his regular one.

(Nah, nothing else to do.)

(GM: don't worry I was stunned a little as well... )

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Terasaka reluctantly hands over his frying pan souvenir.

"We will contact the Oda when we return."

(Thats all for me.)
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:01 pm

[ Terasaka receives 4,000XP for his shocking proposal and plans ]
(I'd give more, but you have to actually do and not just propose ;D)
[ Terasaka's alignments shifts to Chaotic Neutral due to actions taken in several recent events ]

(also, fixed the typo in the XP thread... the rumormongering XP was for Yuuta/Dave (obviously), and I increased the amount by a lot)
|

()

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Missions”