To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mission 3 Postmission

Postby Laharl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:32 am

(Impression: 10)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 pm

As the group walked into the town, they were quickly spotted by those on watch. Whistles blew, and within seconds they were surrounded by five of the town watch, each lightly equipped in leather armor and holding a spear. At the beginning it didn't look like they even knew whom they were dealing with, except that the armed newcomers were intruders. Soon, a town elder was led to the standoff, accompanied by yet another two dozen or so guards who also fanned out in a semicircle around the party.

After the two sides introduced themselves, Terasaka went straight to the punch and explained what the party came here to do as well as make his pitch. By this time, more townsfolk had gathered behind the elder and the guards, including three others that seem like notable individuals with influence. Another twenty or so watchmen also joined, many of them coming from the rear and effectively cut off the party's escape route--- the three had been surrounded by about fifty town guard and an even larger congregation of townsfolk at this point. Thankfully, the party seems to have made a genuinely peaceful impression on entry, and most of them didn't seem hostile so much as simply wary; they didn't even have their weapons pointed.

The elder considered Terasaka's eloquently made proposal after his speech. The crowd conversed in hushed voices, divided on whether they thought the proposal was a reasonable one was simply a devil's trick. Many of them, a few rather vocally, simply believed that the exiles, being no state, simply had no right to even consider taxing the citizens of this land.

Purposefully coughing several times, the elder quelled the louder voices before turning to face Terasaka directly. He was a man just entering the upper ages, with white hair almost covering his ears and a large balding patch above his forehead. Although slight hunched over, his moderately-built legs and hands moved with swiftness and precision, and the fine workmanship of his clothes clearing marking his one as from one of the town's wealthiest families--- possibly even a minor landed noble.

"Your proposals are reasonable--- that is, if you, or those whom you serve, were actually a lord. But, pardon my directness, you're just a haggle of bandits clinging together to form this mockery of a militant faction. You have neither honor to uphold nor a name to take accountability. All these words and I still can't tell what's the name of your leader."

"Tell me, how are we suppose to trust in such words? You may hold the castle today, but with another rising of the sun you could have all fled with our hard-earned food and gold, leaving us nothing but the ire of the Mouri?"

"The oni are not the issue to us. We aren't one of those tiny villages that you could simply bully into submission. Our town watch is strong and many have served in wars of the past. I daresay that even if you could take us, you would need to bring your full force into the field, and if your leader were so foolish that he believed he can stump us under without Mouri interference, then you wouldn't be the group any of us want to side with anyway."
( sense motive: you don't think he's quite bluffing--- there is probably some basis behind his words, but he's definitely exaggerating )

"Here's what I think," continued the elder, ready to make his counter-proposal, "we'll allow you to clear out and begin construction of this mine. However, it will be done with your resources and under our surveillance and protection--- I will not allow your forces, bandits and brigands in all but name, within such close proximity to the town to rob and plunder at will. Once the mine is built, and if, you have gained actual recognition from some of the surrounding lords, then--- we can speak again of acknowledging you as rulers of the land and its resources."

( the elder's goal should be quite obvious: to avoid a direct confrontation for now by giving a partial go-ahead, and if the exiles collapse before the mine is built, then they get a free half-built mine and no guilt of bowing down to rebels. )
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 pm

"Your plan is both reasonable and prudent. We would be happy to begin construction of the mine immediately, and delay the rest until the situation has stabilized."

After he has finished his initial reply, Terasaka begins to gradually switch gears from talking to the elder in front of him to addressing the entire crowd.

"I must object, however, to the names you have called our brave men. You say we are here to bully you into submission, that we are mere bandits and brigands, that we have no lord. We have no lord, it is true, not because we are bandits but because we are free men. We have chosen to kneel before no man, to stand on our own two feet and live as men should, masters of our own fate.

"As for bullying into submission, as I recall it wasn't that long ago when a different group came to this land, demanding tribute and fealty at the point of a spear. You say we have no name and no honor, but all the names and honors of the Mouri did not save you from being plundered then, and they did not save you from the plundering carried out by the Mouri tax collectors since, one season after another.

"Well. We have escaped our own bondage. We have stood up and declared, 'We shall be slaves no longer!'. And now we have freed you as well. The greedy tax collectors and petty clerks and officious soldiers are gone. We have thrown them out, for free men have no use for such as they. I have not come to you as a bandit with a column of soldiers to demand, swords bared, your hard-earned gold and food, to demand, at the point of a spear, that you kneel before me and and call me your lord and your master. No. I have come as a free man, to offer my hand to say, 'Stand; you are free.'

"Which leaves only one question. Will you stand? On your own two feet as free men should, will you stand? Will you throw off your shackles and stand, to defend your freedom against all who would enslave you?"

Terasaka's voice has risen as he spoke, and he is almost shouting by the end. He pauses for a long moment before continuing at a more normal volume.

"I don't ask you to answer now. It is no easy thing to stand up after a lifetime on your knees. Think on it long and hard, but ask yourself, 'What man has the right to make me a slave?' We leave you now as we came, in peace and goodwill, to deal with the a monster that lives in mines. It is up to you to decide how to deal with the monsters that live in castles."

After his speech concludes, Terasaka will turn and leave, unless the town guards try to stop him and the others.

Diplomacy check (Hero Point boosted):
1d20+31 = 49
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 am

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 pm

( I presume people are going to wait until the next day so Shigeru updates his extracts preparations for, at the very least, more flight. Any other preparations? Feel free to list any pre-combat buffs also... )
( also, it has a stupefying aura, not insane one... )
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:52 pm

(Yeah, we will. Sorry we couldn't sleep in a bed, but that dramatic exit was just too good not to take.)

(Plan: I cast Fickle Winds along with my standard buffs, we all fly in and focus everything on the monster. Me and Yuuta hit it in melee, Shigeru uses his guns, and Yumi attacks with arrows. Hopefully the swarms will disperse once it dies, otherwise Shigeru will go to town with his bombs.)
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:57 pm

[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 pm

( any other preparations to be made today? )
( when do you want to attack the next day? --- I'd presume early in the morning so you have time to finish up here and then head back for the negotiations trip )

( please set a night watch schedule that'll be used from now until the party circumstances change again. For convenience's sake, I'm going to rule that spellcasters only need to rest for 8hrs, not sleep all 8hrs (but enough sleep to keep off fatigue) to recover their spell slots. )
( Yumi will provide Hide Campsite spell and cast any remaining Spike Growth spells just outside the perimeter for camp defenses. Anything else you guys would like to contribute for night-time defenses ? )

( lastly, make initiative rolls for the battle next day so I can set it up )
( Judson: Yumi's best "party-buff" is the FavoredTerrain/Infiltration [Pf:UC:BattleScout] + Terrain Bond [APG:Guide] + Advantageous Terrain combination [Pf:UC:BattleScout]; check it out and make use of it )
|

()

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:30 am

(Init: 5+11=16)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 pm

oh comeon Dave you laziness =P
|

()

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:55 pm

(Kinda surprised nobody wants an grenades. Oh well, making 17 for myself at a total of 408GP)

(Initiative: 1d20+8 = 17)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Initiative:
Terasaka: 1d20 = 5
Yumi: 1d20+7 = 20

Watch Order: Terasaka, Yuuta, Yumi, Shigeru; in two hour shifts

No other preparations for the campsite from me.

We'll start out for the mines as soon as Shigeru's extracts are ready in the morning.

Daily Buffs:
Divine Insight
Greater Magic Weapon

Buffs (Personal):
Instrument of Agony
Girallon's Blessing
Fuse Arms

Buffs (Party):
Mass Shield of Faith
Fickle Winds
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Questions for night after Fool's Gold mission:
-Is there a good chance of the party's presence having the opportunity to aid the negotiations, if they accompany the diplomatic mission? unclear
-Given that the current plans for negotiations are followed, is there a greater than 50% chance of direct conflict breaking out on the mission to Mouri? yes
-minerals? yes
-black oni? yes
-Was the lumber camp that disappeared attacked by bandits? no
-Oni attacked camp? no
-Humans attacked camp? no
-Youkai attacked camp? no
-Organized group of intelligent creatures? maybe
-Is Kira alive? yes
-Is Kira still in power as a noble? maybe
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 am

Terasaka casts Sending to Shigeru:

"Animated Plants killed lumber camp. Need firepower to deal with them. Please follow us to the town to help. Shouldn't take too long."
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Return to “Missions”