Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Mission 3 Postmission

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:52 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Re: Mission 3 Postmission

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 pm

(Well, if Dave gets arrested/confined/completely untrusted, it will somewhat change our priorities, but....)

I absolutely want to go with Zanma Gou and Kawanoe Yuzuru to the negotiations, and I will do so regardless of what other people choose to do.

The next priority should be Fool's Gold, which Shigeru obviously needs to be a part of. The other missions less important. I would suggest having everyone go negotiate, then everyone go to clear out the mines and talk to the villagers in Fool's Gold, then take stock again while Shigeru starts setting up gunpowder mass production.

The one exception is Return to Mikawa. This seems like another very high priority mission, but is so long that it would preclude us from following up on any of the others. I see two options:
1. Do it with the whole group after negotiations and after fool's gold. (But, how long will it take for Shigeru to get everything set up gunpowder production solidly enough that he doesn't have to stay there to keep the spice flowing?)
2. Detach Yuuta from the group and have him pursue Return to Mikawa while the rest of the group does the other missions. (But, will Yuuta's abysmal people skills be able to convince anyone to do anything?)

Thoughts?
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Shigeru wouldn't be starting gunpowder production anytime soon anyways, since they actually have to create the facilities for anything more than a single alchemist at work anyways. The mines themselves will takes at least few weeks to build (and would be far longer if not for transmutation spells), and even a basic workshop will still take some longer to set up. Most likely you'll just leave plans behind for them to handle and maybe they'll finish by the time you return.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 pm

When Terasaka has some spare time, he will go visit the Mouri prisoners captured in the assault on Nakakuni. He'll take an extra-large size skin of wine and visit the ashigaru foot soldiers (who are probably being held together in one or a few large groups). Terasaka will make conversation and share his wine with the people he talks to, mainly asking about news from the outside world, saying he wants to hear about whats been going on in Japan since he was exiled. He will share his own story (a sanitized version that leaves out the curse part- I was clearly exiled because that damn Kira had it in for me) and the stories of other exiles he knows if asked.

He will subtly try to focus the conversations on the following areas:
-poor treatment of the ashigaru, their families, etc. at the hands of their superiors in Mouri
-parallels between the hardships of common folk in Mouri and elsewhere with the hardships of the exiles
-painting the exiles in a good light (not too overt here, but focusing less on 'demonic powers' and more on 'unfairly persecuted')

Overall goal being to undermine their loyalty to Mouri and build friendship and goodwill towards the exiles. Terasaka will come back once every day or two until he leaves on the first mission, meeting new people and checking in with the ones he talked to before.

Checks:
Impression:
1d20+10= 26

Diplomacy:
1d20+37=45 (divine insight boosted)
1d20+22=30
1d20+22=37
1d20+22=28
1d20+22=34
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Most of the prisoners had been ordered to set up their tents and camp out on the western courtyard of the castle, between the inner and outer battlements, fenced in by magically conjured walls and carefully watched by guard teams. All the officers (and anyone who seemed to wield commanding presence) had been separated from them and detained inside the main keep, where their overcrowded quarters were fall less comfortable.

As Terasaka joined the POWs, most of them initially stayed away from him in obvious fear of both his status as captors and as an tainted exile. But his sheer charisma and openness soon began to make an impression to those he talked to, and more of the captured slowly began to join the audience, propelled by their curiosity of those whom they've only heard rumors about. Terasaka soon noticed that while it's probably impossible for these people to ever see the exiles without some form of fear and negativity, many of them also gradually became more sympathetic as he told his stories--- of how he was also once just like them, a normally warrior in service of a liege, before being wronged by the world and forced to live in a desolate land.

After all, they may not be tainted and exiles, but they've also suffer numerous hardships during this difficult time of chaos and war.

In fact, Terasaka soon realized that a good number of these ashigaru currently serving the Mouri forces were actually conscripts from armies that were defeated and absorbed by the Mouri. Some of them continued to serve because they had families to support, while other simply remained because they had nothing to go back to. The Mouri usually pillage those they defeat at least once, so while some of these soldiers have made gains since joining the army, most of them still harbor considerable bitterness to when the Mouri first took over their lands (along with many other things). In either case, 'loyalty' was almost nonexistential, and for those without attachments it may actually be possible to recruit some of them--- given enough time. Some of the samurai and ninjas also come from similar circumstances, except that their sense of honor and duty meant that their allegiance was taken far more seriously.

( also, as all available healing had been focused towards friendly troops [including probably yours for the day], most of these soldiers were still pretty badly wounded--- maybe the next day ).
|

()

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Yuuta is up for Fool's Gold, then the diplomatic mission and then continuing on to Mikawa - and he'll stop in Yamatai for obvious reasons.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Shigeru is obviously up for Fool's Gold, but other than that he could be convinced to help with the other missions.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:24 am

( technically, you won't be able to finish Fool's Gold mission before the diplomacy mission starts... however, you might be able to clear the mines / deal with the townsfolk and leave Shigeru there to deal with the designs while Yuuta/Terasaka goes on the diplomacy mission. Otherwise you'd have to wait until after the diplomacy mission finishes to tackle the mine... thoughts? especially from you Marty. )
|

()

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:35 pm

(Works for me. I'm not that useful in Diplomacy anyway.)

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 pm

( October 22nd )
The party sets out from Nakakuni Castle on the first day after the siege, keen to finish the mission in time to return for the main negotiations. The trip took the entire morning, and it was already high noon by the time they stepped over the final ridge and saw the town of Bizen in the distance.

The main quarry is located at the southern base of a small, rocky, and barren mountain to the northeastern side of the town, only 2 miles away. According to the Wolf Fangs' information, the pyrite vein was scouted to the east side of the mountain, another half-mile away from the main quarry area. Once an extension of the main quarry, the place was abandoned after a youkai monster moved into a cave just about the quarry--- the entrance of the cave located about 200ft from the base of the mountain and is of a sharp incline the entire way (lest you fly, it has to be climbed). The youkai seems to attract large swarms of insects and other foul scritters into his cave, which would usually come out to harass and attack any intruders first. Based on the rotten bodies outside, it seemed that the town watch had attempted to retake this portion of the quarry years ago but failed miserably, losing at least a dozen of their members in the process.

The town of Bizen is mainly resourcing town, with a population of nearly 1,500, a large quarry to the north-by-northeast, a medium lumber mill to the west, and some farmland scattered all around. A small stream run through the middle of the town, its water flow powering the local grain mill. The Wolf Fangs, during their quest to acquire lumber for the siege weapons to attack Nakakuni Castle with, raided the lumber mill at dawn. Although it was before most workers arrived, they nevertheless killed two town watchmen and injured half a dozen others--- so it's very unlikely for the townsfolk to view any of the exiles with good intentions. However, circumstances have now changed and the administration in control of this area at Nakakuni Castle have fallen into the exiles' hands, which should give any negotiations an upper hand. Intimidation and carrot-and-stick use may be required, but some form of 'cooperation' must be acquired from the locals or there's no way for the exiles to build/operate a quarry here.

The town has a watch militia force of somewhere around 300, mostly lumberjacks and miners who are decent enough in melee and armored in leather. It has very few archers due to a lack of hunters in the area. It would be unwise to oppose them directly due to their sheer numbers.

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE:
Secure the quarry extension and its pyrite vein; kill or drive out that monster.
Negotiate an agreement with the locals.
Design a mining/processing facility.

OPTIONAL OBJECTIVE:
The leadership would also like some form of taxation/tribute to be agreed upon with the townsfolk, although they agree that could be left until a later time if needed; based on records found within the castle, the previous taxation of the surrounding regions is 25% plus first priority buying for all wood and stone at 50% normal cost. Kongomaru Aya's logstics group reduced the new target taxation rate to 20%.

( making the territories map will be delayed a bit--- I had some guests to entertain over the weekend which put me behind on a bunch of things )
|

()

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm

(If we are willing to wait to clear the cave until tomorrow, Soar Extracts For Everybody!)

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Planning commences.

I'd prefer to go in and negotiate with the townspeople immediately, and then hopefully swing by the mines and clear them out later today. If the negotiations go for too long we can wait overnight and clear out the mines in the morning.

(Why can't Shigeru use extracts today?)

Negotiations:
Pitch:
Lower taxes
Destruction of Oni near to town
Jobs/income from our refining operations

Reply to protests:
Watchmen were killed and lumber stolen: its war, these things happen, we did our best to minimize damage. If we were the Mouri we would have done much worse.

Threat (if they keep whining too much):
Its only out of the goodness of our hearts that we're actually offering you these upsides. We could bring in our army and force you to comply with anything we want. However, since we have the best interests of all the common people in mind, we are giving you this chance to improve your position.

Thoughts?
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 pm

( probably because Shigeru already prepped extracts today and can't switch until tomorrow )

( I presume you're all entering the town to cover for negotiations? )
|

()

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 pm

(Yep, I only prep 1 soar extract unless I know I need more)
(as for negotiations, thats not my department)

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 pm

( Since it doesn't seem like anyone else has any ideas... Judson, roll me 5 diplomacy checks + 1 impression check; also one from Yumi )
( Dave, if you're coming along, an impression check please. )
|

()

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Missions”