Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:18 pm

[ Quick Links ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

October 21st...

The meeting began as usual with Sakamoto Ryouma and Zanma Gou updating everyone on the latest information and analysis...

Scouts report that the Mouri forces have camped just 5 miles away from Nakakuni Castle. Tomorrow morning (possibility even before sunrise), after breaking camp, they will be marching here to assault the castle, most likely from the north and west walls since not only is that the direction they've chosen to make camp at (despite coming from the northeast), the north side is also where the walls are lowest in relation to outside terrain, and the west side is wooded up to 100ft away from the castle walls, providing some protection against archery fire at extended ranges.

Therefore, the main defense force will be split into three parts: one covering the northern wall, one covering the western walls, and one to act as a battle reserve. The main reserve and western defense unit will also have to respond to any attack on the souther walls. Meanwhile, the eastern walls will be...

Because the veteran shocktroops of the alliance, who mostly fight unarmed by charging straight into enemy formations and bulldozing everyone that stand in front of them before engaging a close-combat melee, are unsuited for defensive tactics, Sakamoto Ryouma proposes assembling them into a separate counterattack force by the eastern gates. Once the enemy on the north side is fully engaged in the assault, this counterattack force will then cut their way out from the castle and then slam into the northern side attackers from its flank.

The leaders have already ordered all night watches to be tripled against the possibility of sneak attacks, and for one of the main commanders and at least one shock squad to be ready every hour of the night. The party, being one of the shock squads that seized the castle, is assigned to the midnight-3AM watch slot during Yuzuru's command slot.

The disparity between the two forces is still tremendous, but several days of raiding by the Wolf Fang's mages have delivered over 100 casualties to the enemy's ashigaru infantry. Meanwhile Zanma Gou has managed to get the assistance of around 50 mercenary ronin (masterless samurai; still for a steep price of course) who should be trustworthy enough, given their deep-standing grudges against the Mouri for destroying their clans.

ALLIANCE ORDER OF BATTLE (730):
Group 1 is responsible for defending the northern walls:
Commander: Kawanoe Yuzuru
~60 spearmen, lead by Senpuuji Kyouko [Wolf]
~50 veteran mercenary ronin, mixed spear/sword
~80 archers, lead by Hibiki Sanae [Wolf]
~40 crossbows, lead by Naruse Yuuki [Wolf]
~20 veteran spearmen in reserve, lead by Kawanoe Mine [Takuga] and Gon [Takuga]

Group 2 is responsible for defending the western walls and to react on any attacks on the southern walls:
Commander: Tougou Tsuyoshi
Command Squad: Tanaka Raizou [Tougou], Akiyama Keiichirou [Tougou], Ogawa Matsuri [Tougou]
Shock squad: Party members, positioned to southwest to also act as a reserve against south-wall attacks.
~180 spearmen, directly lead
~40 crossbows, lead by Mumei Aikuchi [Kyoudou]
~20 musketeers, lead by Shigeru and Hiiraga Tsunami [Tougou]
~20 veteran spearmen in reserve, lead by Nagumo Keiko [Tougou]

Group 3 is kept as castle defense reserves:
Commander: Sakamoto Ryouma
~20 veteran spearmen, lead by Miyazato Erika [Wolf]
~20 veteran axes, lead by Mumei Kyousuke [Kyoudou] and Mumei Asakari [Kyoudou]
~40 archers, lead by Kongomaru Aya [Kongomaru]

Group 4 is assembled at the east gate as a counterattack force:
Commander: Zanma Ryouga, Zanma Gou
Command Squad: Kyoudou Senna [Wolf], Tenrou Kunagi [Wolf]
Shock Squad: Jinnai Heita [Wolf], Yamamoto Burai [Wolf], +2 veterans
~140 veteran shocktroopers, lead by Kongomaru Sanzou [Kongomaru], Kakurai Jun [Kongomaru], and Nikaidou Mitsuhiro [Kongomaru]

OPPOSITION ORDER OF BATTLE (1650):
~600 ashigaru spears
~400 ashigaru archers
~250 samurai sword/naginata infantry
~400 veteran ninjas (half of Kiku's regiment)
12 wagon-mounted light ballistae
~60 light wagons in supply train

(leaving some room for any ideas and objections before I continue on...)
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Mission 3: Siege of Nakakuni Castle

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:44 pm

After Sakamoto Ryouma and Tougou Tsuyoshi explained the joint plan they came up with, the room seemed to be at a split between those in agreement and those against. While most of the top leaders seem to have approved it already--- Zanma Ryouma had a ferocious smile across his face like he was just itching to lead the counterattack force; Zanma Gou nodded silently several times during the explanation, and Kawanoe Yuzuru still looked doubtful but was defering to Sakamoto's judgment on the matter. However, the same could not be said for the other leaders and sub-leaders.

"Isn't this too risky? to go on the attack when we're already outnumbered by over two-to-one?" Kongomaru Aya was the first to speak out. Her detailed and cautious approach which made her an excellent logistics officer also went against aggressive gambles like this battle plan; it didn't help that the already meager funds logistics had must have been drained from hiring those mercenary ronin...

Mumei Kyousuke, the leader of the Kyoudou band was the first to voice his agreement, followed by more than half the advisors and lieutenants in the room. But Tougou raised his voice above everyone's to counter:

"It's precisely because we're outmatched that we need to take a more aggressive stance."

"Any hunter knows that if you meet a bear face-to-face, then you gotta drive your spear through the bear before it could wrap its arms around you," Ryouga cut in.

"Precisely," continued Tougou as he gave a begrudgingly appreciative nod towards Ryouga "The castle walls offer us a significant advantage, but once the enemy gets fully engaged on the walls, it'll simply turn into a grindfest. It'll be a battle of attrition, and they outnumber us! That's why the moment they're fully invested, we must disrupt their attack and retake local initiative if we are to win this battle--- tear apart their flanks and their rear! Pin their assault force onto the walls and make them realize that!"

Tougou's confidence was brimming, and it was slowly spreading to the rest of the room. Many of the leaders looked less doubtful now as they talked amongst themselves, and Sakamoto Ryouma took this moment to establish one more goal.

"There's also more at stake here than just this battle--- if we're to survive, we need more than just a defensive victory; we need a decisive victory. Otherwise, the Mouri will just send more troops..."

"Crush them and make them realize what it costs to attack us!" Zanma Ryouga exclaimed as he pounded his two fists against each other, "kick them back hard enough that they won't try it again!"

"Precisely," Sakamoto continued, "which also means that we need to capture, not kill, Kikkawa Kiku if possible."

The faces of almost everyone in the room turned to one of puzzling bewilderment as what Ryouma said sank in.

"We need a resolution with the Mouri; a peace, not a clan blood feud started by killing one of Motonari's daughters."
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 am

(finishing up the meeting since it doesn't seem like the players have any particular objections...)

Complaints were filed around the room against Ryouma's statements. Some of them declaring that in no way are the exiles cowered by the possibility of war with the Mouri, while most simply complained about the difficulty in capturing an enemy battle-commander during engagement, especially a ninja at that. In the end, Ryouma simply left it at: "I'll leave the final judgment to whichever command, reaction, or shock squad that engages her; but I just want to point out that it would be most advantageous to us if we took her alive."

( any preparations made the night before the battle, please make them now...)
( first up is your 3-hour watch slot, everyone please give me 3 perception checks )
|

()

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 am

(Perception checks: 4[nat1], 28, 29)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:16 pm

During the previous night, the sounds of crafting echoed heavily from wherever Shigeru was. Hammers pounding, planks being moved around, the whistling of steam, and the stretching of ropes. Come morning, a heavy trebuchet had appeared practically out of nowhere.

(Okay, no idea where we should put this thing, but here it is. I'll be crew-leading, and have 3 presently nameless minions doing the heavy lifting.)

(Perception checks: 28, 29, 31)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Perception:
9, 21, 18
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 pm

(Well dam Marty, nice check on that first one, you just made this pre-battle skirmish extremely simple xD)

It was during the middle of the party's shift, while they were simply doing rounds about the walls... they just passed the southwest corner when Shigeru suddenly saw someone or something flip through the battlements' firing gap to this side of the walls... before he could turn his head over to look, someone else just did exactly the same thing. The intruders were illuminated by the greatly increased number of torches fixed to the battlements... they were still prone on the ground from leaping in, and it was likely they would have rushed into the shadows within another round, but unfortunately...

( Initiative everyone! )
( also post your surprise round action Marty. )
( Map updated )
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Init: 18
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:12 am

Init: 21

While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:13 am

(Initiative: 26)

Shigeru shouts "NINJAS!!!!!!" and fires his musket at the prone ninja in O21.

(Attack Roll: 1d20+15 = 28)
(Damage: 25 bludgeoning and piercing)

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:03 am

Shigeru just barely managed to hit the Ninja on the ground as he tried to roll out of the way; but the shot seriously injured the ninja and he was now bleeding profusely.

( Shigeru/Marty[26] -> Ninjas[23] -> Yuuta/Dave[21] -> Terasaka/Judson[18] )

The first ninja (that got hit) seems to be dazed by the hit; the second ninja however, promptly vanishes from sight...

( surprise round finished, Marty is up again )
|

()

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:28 pm

(Shigeru burns both charges on his Scout's Headband to for see invisibility)

(not done, just need to know where the invisible ninja is)

[ GM: Ninja is 5ft left of where he was ]

Shigeru 5' steps forwards, draws a bullet and charges it with alchemic energy. Drawing a bead on the undamaged ninja, he fires! (hero point use)

(Attack: 1d20+15 = 30)
(Damage: 3d12+4 = 33 Bludgeoning and Piercing
(Bomb Damage: 7d6+7 = 30 fire to targetted ninja (DC22 ref save or catch on fire for 3d6/round. 14 fire damage to prone ninja, DC20 half))

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:14 pm

The explosive bullet struck the ninja in the chest and blew his body apart. In fact, the explosion was even stronger than his bomb warranted--- it was likely the ninja was carrying gunpowder weapons of some kind.

The other ninja got up and also turned invisible (Shigeru then see him taking a step left).

A third ninja then turned the corner from the archery tower and shot an arrow straight into Shigeru from his shortbow (Shigeru takes 17 piercing damage).

( next: Dave, then Judson )
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:01 am

Terasaka steps to P11 and casts Cure Moderate Wounds on Shigeru (22hp healed)

HP: 60/60
AC: 32; +6 guard
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:22 am

Yuuta watches Shigeru activate his headband and casts See Invisibility himself. He then moves 40' south.

AC: 32

Return to “Missions”