Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Mission 2 Postmission Interlude

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:33 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Re: Mission 2 Postmission Interlude

Postby Sajuuk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Gunsmith? That would be Shigeru.

Shigeru also has Engineering knowledge and experience (Know(Engineering) +17) so he can assist with the work on the castle.

Shigeru can also aid the propaganda/diplomatic efforts with the nearby villages, albeit indirectly, by providing cure extracts (and Heal checks if they reallly need it, but you know, that whole Fiendblooded thing might not help with the efforts).

Shigeru requests a suit of +2 Leather (not studded leather) armor made from the oni hide.

Shigeru requests a house/workshop for himself. (gotta have someplace to work on stuff)

SELLING: Masterwork Studded Leather Armor - 87.5 GP
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Terasaka will take the suit of +2 Red Oni Leather Armor from Todoroki Yuu. He will also sell his +1 chain shirt and attempt to buy a +1 Heavy Shield.

He will cast Ancestral Communion and attempt to recall as much information as possible about Kikkawa Kiku (Knowledge [Nobility and Royalty] check: 37), specifically information on her command style and likely tactics, combat abilities, and general temperament.

He will volunteer his knowledge of geography (+11 [can be boosted to +17 for 10 minutes per casting via Ancestral Communion and taking a full-round action for each check]) and ability to cast Wall of Stone to help shore up the defenses of the castle. He will also offer to help with the propaganda efforts among the local villagers (Diplomacy +21).

The first morning after the attack, he will use Automatic Writing to ask the following questions:

1. Is the painting with the map that I took from Katsurou the magical key to the wards around the Deathlands?
If yes:
2. Will simply returning it to the guard keep allow it to maintain the wards?

3. Were the Hojo men murdered killed by the same thing that killed Katsurou?
If yes:
4. Is that killer one or more people?
If no:
5. Is it an oni?
If no:
6. Is it a demon?

7. Does the Mouri strike force led by Kikkawa Kiku contain a spellcaster more powerful than myself?
8. Does the Mouri force include a strong contingent of cavalry?
9. Does the Mouri force include a strong contingent of troops carrying rifles or muskets?
10. Does the Mouri force include gunpowder-based siege weapons?

If a question are left over, he asks:
Is Kira Yoshihisa still alive?

Finally, he will also arrange to meet with Kawanoe Yuzuru as soon as possible.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:33 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:31 am

Yuuta will grab a set of +2 leather red oni hide armor and sell his mastercraft +1 leather.

(Since this is all post-mission-interlude stuff, I'll hold off on anything else until after my event finishes...First thought is that Yuuta goes out to scout this Mouri force, if Nakakuni Castle is in fact where we are, as I assume it is.)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:57 pm

On the afternoon of Oct. 15th, the various alliance leaders take a trip to two of the nearest villages to address their concerns and extend goodwill, as well as to distribute some supplies made available by those from the keep (including Shigeru's extracts).

Judson: unless you have something specific you want to do, I'm not bothering with PR-business in detail. Make 6 impression and 6 diplomacy checks.
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Impression: 25, 25, 16, 12, 27, 40
Diplomacy: 38, 30, 26, 33, 25, 39
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Terasaka seems to have given the villagers a particularly good impression of him, the only other person who managed quite as well was Tougou himself (who also displayed decidedly more bias towards the ladies which made people wonder if he actually came along to hit on girls instead). The overall reactions from the locals seems relatively position, although they're still extremely wary if not outright frightened by the exiles' presence.

The group is also informed of something by Terasaka (see ).

Heading to the Keep and back takes most of a day's time, so if you'd rather not come along, speak now =P
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 pm

|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Terasaka doesn't have any additional ideas for reinforcing the fortifications, but he does suggest that because of who is leading the enemy, (Terasaka will explain what he knows about Kikkawa Kiku if others do not know of her) its likely that the main threat will not come from siege engines and direct assaults, but rather from the infiltration, sabotage, and trickery that will no doubt precede and accompany any storm of the walls.

Therefore, it seems prudent to put at least as much effort into preventing and countering less direct attacks as we do into strengthening the walls. To this end, we should develop specific doctrine for scouting the immediate area and guarding the walls against infiltration, and be on high alert to the point of paranoia until the immediate threat from the Mouri attack force is dealt with. If we have time, it would also be a good idea to test our defenses with tiger teams assembled from the sneakiest infiltrators among the alliance.

Information that would be useful:
Details on the status of our forces (Allied NPCs post is very out of date)
--numbers of elites, experienced troops, trained reserves, and particularly the number and power of the spellcasters in the alliance.
How many Rings of Communication or similar items do we have?
What is the terrain like in the immediate vicinity of the castle, as well as the surrounding area?
--do we have spells (Move Earth or similar) to change it if need be?
Where is the Mouri force, and how long will it take them to get from there to here?
--what resources do we have for keeping track of them? (divination spells, Zanma Gou's 'sources', skilled scouts, etc.)
Details on the composition and supply train of the strike force
--similar to last point, what resources do we have to find out unknown information?
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Unfortunately, most of the people in this group has no experience with combat-infiltration type operations, and even the subterfuge experts aren't particularly skilled in the combat aspect of things. The only idea proposed directly was to double the night watch patrolling the outer walls and increase the number of torches. Akiyama Keiichirou of the Tougou band also recommends dropping Alarm spells along the outer walls, unfortunately the only mage who seems to know the spell is the Wolf Fangs' manager/utility-mage Hibiki Sanae, and she doesn't have anywhere close to the ability to cover the entire outer walls with Alarm wards each night.

(Allied NPC page updated, which includes troop status. The only notable spellcasters are the officers right now. Assume all Leaders and Advisors have Communication Rings now, but only a few of the Lieutenants)

Total allied force composition includes:
3.5 veteran shock platoons (~140) -- they mostly fight unarmed; but very good at charging/trampling through formations (multi-target overrun)
1.5 veteran spear platoons (~60)
0.5 veteran axe platoon (~20)
6 spear platoon (~240)
3 archer platoon (~120)
2 crossbow platoon (~80)

The terrain immediately near the area is almost completely flat, and heavily wooded to the south and west. The terrain becomes much more hilly however to the north and east once you leave the castle by around a mile, and the lightly-wooded hills offer good ambushing positions. However, given the ninja units in support of the opposition, scouting is probably not something they're in lack of.

(I just noticed that Kunagi is a CR12 druid, which means yes you have access to Move Earth spell --- speaking of which, your Knowledge[geography] from earlier also informs you that there's a small river about a mile away which has a water level slightly higher than the foundation of the castle --- which actually makes it possible to divert that over to form a moat. It'll be a very time-consuming process though).

The Mouri force is still assembling at the moment. Once they go on the March within a day or two it will only take them 3-4 days to arrive. Expect battle within a week's time. Long-distance scouting and intelligence sources is currently the primary methods of gathering military data. The alliance has a few clerics and druids capable of casting Scrying and similar divination spells for gathering information, although none of them are particularly good at it; so most of the data, to this point, is gathered the conventional way.

The Mouri forces being assembled is estimated to include the following:
~700 ashigaru spears
~400 ashigaru archers
~300 samurai sword/naginata infantry
~400 veteran ninjas (half of Kiku's regiment)
Siege equipment include a dozen or so light ballistae towed on wagons, but nothing heavier. Their supply train is relatively light as usual, consistly most of light wagons; Mouri troops tend to plunder and live off the land, although the fact this expedition is in their 'own territory' made them increase the supplies carried by the forces.

The good news is that Nakakuni Castle offers a strong defensive position and was taken with virtually no damage and a full grainhouse, and the alliance has an abundance of battle-hardened warriors for leaders. The bad news is that the attackers also outnumber you 3-to-1.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:54 pm

On (the first day after Yuuta's event finishes, probably May 17th), the party travels south to the Shikoku Gate to place the painting, key to the wards, back at its original location. The entire trip went successfully without encountering an hostiles...

(I need a Knowledge[engineering] check from Shigeru/Marty to help affirm the location of where to put the painting. Any other checks on request).
|

()

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 pm

(Knowledge[Engineering] )
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Shigeru identifies the main pillar without issue, where Terasaka notices faint marking of where the painting once belonged. He places the painting back without any issues.
(anything else you'd like to do? if not, your trip back to Nakakuni Castle was pretty uneventful as well).
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

(Nothing else here, I should have my Automatic Writing questions for the second day of downtime up later today though)
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Missions”