Mission 1: Breakout - Hell's Gate

Moderator: Zanaikin

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Re: Mission 1: Breakout - Hell's Gate

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Seizing the opportunity, Katsurou smiled at the guards in front of him, and pressed forward, striking first at the spearman to his right.
(Guard Mode On
4AP Standard Attack to H8: 1d20+12=28; damage: 35
Cleave 1 (G8): 1d20+12=24; damage: 37
Cleave 2 (G12): 1d20+12=39; damage 39)
Having ripped apart the first three spearmen, Katsurou smiled and advanced to G10 (1AP), easily evading his opponent's attacks. At about 10ft from the last line of readied spears, he stopped and made a half swing of his glaive towards the line, except that he stopped half way, causing the blood that now drenched the blade be snapped off into the faces of spearmen. At which point, with a maddened, terrifying expression, he yelled to his foes,
"Whose next!?"
(2AP Intimidate to demoralize the spears in E9 - E11: 1d20+12+5(circumstance)=35
AC: 31)
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm

(Dai, if they're identical targets and I only get one AoO, just tell me I only get one)

Yuuta figures the enemies are about to rout and decides to try and pick off one more, so he goes running screaming at the officer in P6 (3AP move, 4AP Darksteel Punisher).

Attack: 25
Damage: 47, Fort DC 47 or be staggered for 2 rounds, 1 on successful save

If he survives, Yuuta targets him with FD. If not, he targets the officer in O4 with it.

Guard AC: 48 (58 vs FD)
Evasive AC: 39 (49 vs FD)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 pm

( Round 8 ends... and battle is pretty much finished... unless you feel like posting descriptions I expect you just killed the enemy when opportunity presented )

After Katsurou sprays more blood on the west line, the spearmen backed away for a few steps, then completely routed. The officer cut down one of the fleeing troops but the rest didn't even hesitate. Faced with no-one to shield him from the two blood-drenched Deathlanders, he ran away in the same direction as his troops... (Drew/Judson: AoO on nearby troops if want)

Yuuta's axe then cuts apart the officer on the easter flank. The soldiers behind him stepped back once; they held, barely, thanks to the one remaining officer behind them and the Hojo troops keeping the line...

Ryouma led Group A south along the east wall by 20ft or so, then hurled their weapons at the crossbowmen. Three went down instantly, while the last two and their commander was injured. They took their last shots with their hands shaking in desperation, but only one bolt managed to hit a member of Group A, and only injured him at that...

The archers and spears remaining on the northern wall, about 20 or so, also realized that the battle was a complete loss and rushed down the western stairs to flee before the north gate could be cut off.

As the Hojo mages chanted, the four Hojo samurai in the front steeled their nerves and charged straight at Yuzuru (while the two in the back shifted to cover the gap). This proved to be the worst idea when Yuzuru yelled aloud with anguish and then cut three of them with a single swing of his sword, while the fourth was knocked to the ground by his comrades' body(parts)--- just on Katsurou's right.

"re-re-retreat, RETREAT!" stammered one of the mages, who immediate broke off his spell and fled the other way. The three others at least finished their spells, creating another 15 shikigami attack birds which flew up into the sky before turning around, then withdrew north, their rear covered by the four remaining samurai and the last of the courtyard soldiers. (Dave: AoO if want)

25 "birds" dived towards the Shikoku warriors, but as the vanguard rushed up to cover Group B, the birds survived little more than a few seconds before they were cut back down to pieces of scrap paper. They had delayed the warband for a few seconds, but that was more or less it. Mine then led the seven members of her squad straight into the twenty who were coming down from the north walls; some of them tried to surrender--- they still didn't last more than a few seconds (although another allied casualty was taken). Ryouga and a few sprinters dashed out the gate and chased down several men who were trying to flee; the Wolf Fangs were true to their name: they really were predators who went after their prey till the end.

In the span of a few minutes, more than 80 people had been killed in the courtyard of the Shikoku gate keep. Puddles of blood dotted the ground; a body could be found every few feet in the courtyard center, many of them smashed apart with bodyparts and entrails littering the ground around them; the warriors of Group A were particularly drenched in crimson... more than a few blasphemied as the main force finally arrived, although quite a few also went along the lines of "well shit, didn't leave anything for us?"

( anyone who have last minute actions they want to carry out at the end of battle or join in hunting the stragglers post it; I shall be posting postbattle stuff later ).

EXP:
Converting to Pathfinder.
Marty: 81,200 ---> 20,800
Dave: 104,400 ---> 26,000
Drew: 144,400 ---> 35,100
Judson: 145,280 ---> 35,320

Battle of Hell's Gate:
6700XP Each (Performance)
+2500XP Each (Completion)
+670 to Judson (Bonus: I still think that was too much of a gamble XP)
+300 to Drew (Bonus)
Marty: 20,800 ---> 30,000
Dave: 26,000 ---> 35,200
Drew: 35,100 ---> 44,600
Judson: 35,320 ---> 45,190

( everyone also receives a WWRD t-shirt: What Would Rambo Do; killing 50 soldiers and 8 officers with only 3 losses before even the vanguard arrived? geez, talk about record for one-sidedness. )
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:13 pm

(Of course I want that AoO...)

Attack: 20
Damage: 28

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Katsurou watched the enemies dissolve around him, and slowly resumed a more normal stance. The thought occurred to him to chase down the stragglers, but, as it seemed, picking apart the scraps would be a better job for the "dogs". Instead, he took a moment to turn to Teresaka.

"Your lust for battle intrigues me. But the next time you charge in without my orders, do not expect my aid. Understand?" he stated, shooting Teresaka a similarly icy glare.

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:23 am

Terasaka takes barely a moment to respond "Understood sir" before taking off after the fleeing soldiers with lightning speed. He seizes the first one he can find from behind, wrestling the conscript to the ground before tearing into the poor man's throat with his curse-sharpened teeth. As Terasaka drains the man's blood, the cursed magic tears into the man's very soul, fueling the bottomless thirst that had gnawed relentlessly at Terasaka since he came into the Death Country.

Terasaka drains the man dry before finally allowing the curse to subside, finally taking a moment to look over the blood and gore splattered everywhere as his eyes and hair return to normal.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 am

"Huh." Katsurou remarked, as Teresaka proceeded to go vampire the poor conscript, after which he walked to over the where the rest of the Blackhearts were standing around.

"You alright?" he asked, looking down towards Daichi.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:12 pm

( Kills++ with dave's hit xD)

With the support of his brother and his sword, Daichi managed to stand back up and made a somewhat pained smile towards Katsurou: "Not a problem, sir; just a light wound."

The sight of Terasaka draining the life from some Mouri conscript coming from just outside the northern gate attracted a little bit of attention; it wasn't much different from some of the strange curses these deathlanders have seen, but it was still a horrific scene to see the bloodsoaked warrior feast on another human. From the grimaces made by a number of the Shikoku warriors, one could easily tell that quite a few of them just made a mental note to avoid becoming this man enemy as much as possible.
( Judson: you drain 6MP from the soldier... which probably puts you back up to full since only 2 days have passed since game start. )

As more and more troops arrived, those inside the keep scattered out and began to clean up after the battle, looting whatever they find from the dead (give me a Perception(search) check if you want to join them, you get bit of a headstart xD). Yuzuru and his lieutenants went around to the different leaders, requesting them to meet in the keep's barracks' main hall for a meeting in three hours.

A couple of healers were also going around healing battle injuries (HP damage only); one of them closed the wounds on Daichi's leg and said it should heal properly in one or two days...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:37 pm

After ensuring that Daichi was alright, Katsurou ordered his brother to see to his wounds. Before the "the rush" could commence, the Blackheart's made sure to lay claim to the bodies of the fallen officers and samurai. (Note, for this purpose, Teresaka and Yuuta are counted as Blackheart's [DM note: Yuzuru seems to have snatched something from an officer but he's wandering around dealing with leadership details]). Anyone who disagreed was more than welcome to take it up with blood-drenched Katsurou. (Impression: 1d20+11=20)

As Daichi, Daisuke, and Yumi picked over the officers and samurai bodies for choice gear, Katsurou wanders off to the barracks to see what the officers' quarters might turn up. (Perception: 1d20+7=25)

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:43 pm

It didn't take much longer for others to get there, but Katsurou ended up being the first one side the officer quarters area of the barracks. While those outside managed to lay claim to seven of the samurai's bodies (including the 4 fallen hojo samurai whose armor were notably better, or at least more polished). The mouri officers all carried quite a bunch of random things, including playing cards, and even more so gambling items which soldiers obviously shouldn't have--- speaks loads about their discipline. The hojo samurai didn't carry too much outside their combat equipment, mostly just food, but they had far more money with them, probably for travelling expenses.

Katsurou found several locked boxes, which he cracked open with his glaive, revealing some gold/silver pieces, and some other exchangeable personal valuables lying about, although most of the other tools and living equipment are just standard stuff for troops (maybe a bit more shoddy than usual, everything is pretty poorly maintained). He does find, in what appears to be a meeting room, a highly-detailed drawing made from multicolored ink; it depicts some high-ranking Hojo mage with a 3-dimensional map of the Shikoku region right in front of him.

Loots for the Blackhearts (plus Yuuta):
seven katanas (three +0, four +1)
seven daggers (three +0, three +1, one +3)
six sets of Scale Mail armor (three +0, three +1) - (the armors will need some repairing spells though)
*(you also find a 4th set of +1 Scale Mail that has a tag on it: "claimed; duel me if you think you deserve it more - Kawanoe Yuzuru"; he returned to get it by the time Katsurou returns, if someone has objections)
a silver pocketwatch, imported

gold/silver/othervaluables: wealth score rises to +11, or +12 if you're already +11 (no bonuses if higher).
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:56 pm

None of the Blackhearts will contest Yuzuru's claim, though they will take the masterwork stuff and valuables. Katsuruou also takes the drawing. If there is one of any notable interest. Katsurou then makes a swing by the armory.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:20 pm

There were already some people at the armory, including two subcommanders: Hibiki Sanae of the Wolf Fangs was cataloging the equipment, while Kakurai Jun of the Kongomaru band stood guard at the door with a stiff posture. He let Katsurou inside without questioning, but commented: "the leaders plan on splitting the equipment between the various warbands, please wait until then." The armory storage itself seems to contain only several rows of spears, one row of crossbows on the wall, several barrels of arrows and boxes of bolts, as well as a stack of leather armor: generic footmen stuff.
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm

"Of course." Katsurou commented plainly. Then left without further comment.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:52 pm

[ hours later, in the Keep barracks' meeting room ]

"...the immediate next step is simple," Ryouma answered, "we rest here, at the keep, and dispatch more messengers throughout Shikoku. We must get more warbands to join our cause; the greater our numbers, the greater our chances of success."

"But is that good idea to give our enemies time to respond?" asked Zanma Gou, advisor to the Wolf Fangs. "How about we strike out at the enemy now, to seize land before they can react while a light garrison is left at this keep to await more reinforcements."

While Ryouma thought to formulate a good response, Yuzuru answered: "we could certainly do that for some of the villages closer to Shikoku, but that wouldn't go very far. To seize the land, we must strike out at the major castles themselves, but I think we're still tad short-manned for that one."

"Strike fast, strike hard. They won't be expecting us now," said Zanma Rouga with a smirk. His lieutenant Jinnai Heita then raised one fist in agreement: "there's no reason for real men to hesitate at a moment like this!" He stared about the room in challenge as he declared, before his eyes settled on Ryouma.

Ryouma's face didn't change a bit, and she quickly began to speak to cut off Yuzuru, who wasn't even attempting to hide his annoyance and anger. "Because of our unexpected speed in taking this keep, a number of the soldiers managed to flee before our full force could be brought to cut off their retreat." Many in the room turned their gaze towards the Blackhearts' reps with a mixture of awe, (re)assessment, and annoyance in their eyes. But Ryouma continued without pause: "the defeated troops will no doubt warn the nearby garrisons, and even if we were to strike now they would be halfway ready. They won't have adequate preparations for defense, but we won't have any preparations at all, not even scaling ladders. There's no way we can take any fortified position without even some equipment. It would be folly to think otherwise."

"So--- we'll just wait here, gather additional allies, train up our men, and prepare siege equipment, until a better opportunity arrives?" asked Aya of the Kongoumaru band, her eyes scanning across those gathered rather than actually expecting an answer.

Yuzuru responded with a firm and grateful 'yes'.

"Training, for certain," said Tenrou Kunagi of the Wolf Fangs, whose face showed not a trace of emotion despite the harsh words that followed: "the past battle has shown in evidence that some of our men are incapable of following orders and plans. We walk into a real battle half-heartedly like this, our lines would be crushed whether they're man or animal." She ended her line with a cold glare of her own towards Heita.

[ break point, if anyone is interested in cutting in... ]
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:40 pm

"I agree that we must increase our battle readiness. However if we are to survive in the long run, then we must be able to depend on each and every member of this alliance, warrior or otherwise. This of course means that we can no longer look at anyone of us as a mere civilian, for our enemies surely will not. Each and every person must be willing to fight, and if incapable, assist our military efforts by another means." Katsurou said, with considerable intent in his voice.

Active Characters:

Return to “Missions”