The News Corner

Anything is allowed, don't overdo the spam.
Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Re: The News Corner

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 pm

[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Hijacking the thread for a day...

Roy Mustang's dream...
chinese_all_female_militia_parade.jpg
chinese_all_female_militia_parade.jpg (71.27 KiB) Viewed 15903 times

Obligated post for me:
http://www.major-arcana.net/zanaikin/20 ... nal-pride/
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Frankly, Dai, I was somewhat surprised by that post. I'm well aware that you're proud of your country and your people, but I'd always thought you were a bit more resistance to propaganda. The rhetoric you used in the post, particularly about "racial pride" was somewhat concerning. Cultural pride? Sure. National pride? In moderation. But, racial pride? Isn't that rather petty?
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Something else that westerners don't get - there really isn't much of a difference between Culture Pride and Racial Pride as far as most Chinese are concerned. It happens when (how much was it, 96%?) of the nation is from one racial ethnicity...

But now that you point the word out - yeah 'ethnic' would be a more accurate term, rather than 'racial'. Political correctness isn't my forte, or something I really care about at all for that matter...

EDIT: Now that I've talked to you about it - no it's not about the sense of racial superiority like nazis once tried, it's about taking back our sense of dignity after Caucasian Imperialists completely make a fool out of the whole continent for a good century...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:16 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/0 ... 10826.html

(*´ο`*)=3

Let the economic wars begin...
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Well, I guess we have an excuse to focus on alternative energy sources now. You know, aside from the planet dying.

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:40 am

This really isn't terribly shocking. China has been talking openly about this kind of thing since almost the beginning of the crisis, and it shouldn't affect how much oil we can buy very much.

Given the implications of this chart, I'd do the same:
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/BASE

Note that within the last year the monetary base has more than doubled, an increase that is greater in absolute terms than the entire two decades preceding it combined.

EDIT: This might force USG to restrain its increases in the money supply, which can only be a good thing. The real economic danger would come if China and the Middle East start dumping their dollar reserves and Treasuries.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:56 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8294858.stm

Somali Pirates flip another table in rage.
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Don't be too sure about the UK. In the last European election, the UK Independence Party, which advocates complete withdrawal from the EU, came in second, only beaten by the Conservative Party, which opposes further expansions of European power. Further, majorities of the population in most European nations, including Britain, oppose further expansion of the EU's powers.

This doesn't mean that the EU can't expand and gain more power, but I would say that its far from certain.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:31 pm

I believe that's only because the EU is expanding too rapidly. "Unification" takes time to be accepted, and frankly I think the EU is pushing their paces a bit too much, probably because they want to seize as much as possible of the influence the US is currently shedding.
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Obama gets a Nobel Prize: http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... JK20091009

I don't even know what to say to this.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Personally, I don't think he's really accomplished enough to win something like that. Unless you count pussy-footing Healthcare Reform.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 pm

I was really hoping he'd reject it with that as the reason. Doesn't look like that to be the case. Although he did claim that his current actions doesn't deserve it - I'll settle for that for now.
But yes, as much as I appreciate his EFFORTS at international diplo, he hasn't actually accomplished much of anything yet, just started a lot of work. Brighter future maybe, but certain no for sure. IMO, this is definitely the Nobel prize council trying to politically push Obama more towards a certain direction - not mentioning torching his bridges - because if Obama fails to keep pushing for 'peaceful activities' now this prize will come back to bite him in the ass.

on another note:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 52,00.html
Saudis prove once again that they're amongst the most moderating of the Arab nations (alongside Egypt, in a different way though).
Ahh, the benefits of wiser authoritarians/heirs. I'd like to see a legislative body pass something like that without stirring up something as ferocious as the Healthcare debate.
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:15 pm

I'd like to point out that the vast majority of the legislative bodies that you're mocking already gave the women of their societies these "small steps" about 40-60 years ago. Generally speaking, the Pseudo-Theocratic Monarchies of the Middle East are way behind on advances in human rights and equality. So I wouldn't exactly hold them up as "wise".

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Discussions”