Spoiler Fiction

Moderator: Zanaikin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Spoiler Fiction

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:14 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Invasion Plans

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:09 pm

It was another bright and clear day at the Imperial Capital of Astraea City. Three people walked along the west wing main corridor in the Royal Palace as the sunlight shined on them through the large windows.

Miros: "...and of course, Daethelar is still giving us the same problems."

Exelar: "You think he'd be tired of it by now after three decades, it's not like he even have the strength to hurt us anymore."

Miros: "...Nor can we find him. Although, I'd hesitate to vanquish him even if we did find his final base. After all, we're getting excellent use out of them as a threat to keep our forces disciplined."

Exelar: "Except for the casualties..."

Miros: "With all the infantry's defensive equipment, casualty rates have been reduced to absolute minimum. I'd say the troops we get out is worth the few losses we take along the way. After all, garrison troops tend to become far too lax with no threat looming over them."

Exelar feigned outright shock and disbelief for a moment.

Exelar: "What harsh thinking! I'm reminded once again why Aoric picked you to lead the Field Legion."

But Exelar mistakenly brought up an unpleasant topic, and the conversation dropped into silence for a moment, then Miros turned his head around and asked the third person, the only one armed and armored even in the most secure location within the Terran Imperium.

Miros: "... how is he?"

Aorin: (Shrug) "I'm afraid he's still more or less the same, milord."

Exelar: (Sigh) "Anyways. Miros, I called you here to talk about Chroma."

Miros: "Tell me about it, I believe I know quite a bit after all three decades of discussions over it."

Exelar: "Lothair has already finished reforming the Penthiaen Governments for a decade by now. At this point he's fairly certain that we can stop worrying so much about the stability of Penthiae. Thus, the only reason we've held back all these years has been cleared. The economic and industrial strength of Penthiae has also recovered to healthy standards, and the Field Legion has had little to do for years. I believe we've delayed too much as it is for a campaign against Chroma."

Miros: "You think Justice requires it of us ?"

Exelar: "No. Whatever those self-proclaimed world police nations of old Earth or old Caerleon may say, no invader has 'justice' on their side. However, I do believe uniting Chroma under our banner would be beneficial to both humanity as a whole and to the Chromians. Furthermore, I have no doubt that it is something we WILL do sooner or later, therefore we might as well as it over with."

Miros: "...Very well. I do agree with you that Penthiae is no longer the concern for delay. Although I presume you haven't heard the latest news from Alliance Fleet Command yet ?"

Exelar: "Don't think so."

Miros: "The Vandalians' latest scans detect that the Kingdom is expanding their facilities at their forward base at Paraiette. That could mean only one thing."

Exelar looked clueless for a moment. He may have been taught in military affairs, but it's hardly ever been his forte.

Exelar: "...they're going to get serious."

Miros: "No doubt. The Vandalians believe it may not be long until they bring forth one of their full power Assault Fleets. That means we'll be taking on Battlestars, not just the Destroyers and Battleships we fought over the skies of Penthiae."

Exelar: "And if we strike preemptively ?"

Miros: "That has been discussed before. We may have enough strength to crush those fortifications the Kingdom has at Paraiette Junction, but that accounts for only the local defenses. I have no doubt the enemy will have reserves waiting at the other end of the Junction. Should we strike at Paraiette with anything less than overwhelming power and take down the junction defenses before reinforcements could arrive, it may spell complete annihilation for the entire Alliance Navy. However should they strike at us, all three Alliance systems we believe the Kingdom knows about are all heavily fortified. We simply need to bleed them enough to persuade them we're not the next rock they want to bite on. Either way, I expect we'd go into that topic in greater depth at the next Council meeting."

Exelar: "So, are you against beginning the campaign against Chroma now ?"

Miros: "No, I'm only stating a threat we must put into consideration. I doubt a campaign against Chroma will require much resources from the Star Legion. We're looking for conquest after all, not annihilation by planetary bombardment. Furthermore, it'll be the same as on Penthiae..."

Exelar: "We need to acquire local support, huh ?"

Miros: "Yes. I can positively tell you that despite the difference in military strength between the Imperial Legion and the Norinth Guard back then, there was no way you could have secured control of Norinth without Gallagher's help, or the rest of Penthiae if you took the stance of a pure military aggressor."

Exelar: "I'll believe that. Are you planning to take the campaign yourself?"

Miros: "Maybe later, but definitely not from the beginning. Penthiae may not be a constant threat anymore, but I'd like to be around to keep an eye on things. Besides, my presence is more likely to get the wrong reaction from the Chromians."

Exelar: "Who do you have in mind then ?"

Miros: "I'd like to talk to Lothair first to see who to draw from the Knights, as they'd be in overall diplomatic command of the campaign... or better yet, YOU can talk to Lothair and tell me what he thinks."

Exelar chuckles.

Miros: "On the ground side, I'd give them the 77th to start with, their new commander can certainly use the experience. It should also encourage the command group to acquire more local military support, since only a fool would believe they can take a planet with only a single Brigade."

Exelar: "I agree."

Miros: "I'd also like to assign the Third Recon to the campaign."

Exelar stopped in midstep for a second, then finished it and turned towards Miros with questioning eyes.

Exelar: "Is that the one... ?"

Miros simply nodded.

Exelar: "Thinking about the future already ?"

Miros: "It's about the time to start pondering about it, at least."

Exelar then restarts his walk down the long hallway.

Exelar: "Very well, you have my support on the matter."

Miros: "Lastly, regarding the space front, obviously I'd need to talk to Fleet-Marshal Pokryshkin first, but I propose we might as well make it a package and give the opportunity to Liliane."

Exelar laughs out loud for a moment.

Exelar: "-haha. I feel sorry for the poor souls on the command team already."

Miros: "Somehow that shouldn't be a comment said by the father."

Exelar: "Oh don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but others take a far less... enthusiastic... look on the matter. Nevertheless, they're going to have to learn how to deal with people like her, Lothair, and Hikari sooner or later, might as well make it an exercise. Yes yes, a teamwork building exercise!"

Exelar then stopped grinning after a few seconds and put a serious face back on once again.

Exelar: "How early ?"

Miros: "Within a month I'd say. We really can't get very detailed information about the Chroma surface unless we at least put some actual warships into orbit or troops on land. It's been obvious ever since Lothair's trip that the information they're offering us is outright bull."

Exelar: "Very well... and we're finally here. I swear this palace is way too large. Just give me like, three of the rooms I actually use. No wonder why half the people in the Imperium think I have delusions of Grandeur."

Miros: "That would be far too much of an overestimate, and as I'm sure the Empress reminds you often enough, you are the Emperor, so at least live like one."

The three then walked into through the office to continue the half-friendly half-business conversation...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Invasion Plans II

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:38 am

After finally going through yet another folder of documents, the Fleet-Marshal decided to take a short break and reached for one of his favorite cigars on the table before leaning back comfortably on his sofa-chair. He then lit it and inhaled deeply before closing his eyes and rubbing his temple in relaxation. After a minute, he took a peek at the clock. It was almost 6pm, a relatively early time for people of the current magitech era who typically work 11 to 14 hour workdays, but he was feeling a great urge to sleep already. For the umpteenth time this year, Tolkin thought to himself once again that modern technology or not, he was simply starting to get too old for this.

Just as he was about to close his eyes once again, someone softly knocked twice on the door.

Tolkin: "Come in!"

The door opened and the new person took two steps in without a sound before promptly closing the door behind them. Tolkin looked up from the desk-surface computer 'screen' projector and noticed whom it was far before even seeing her face. There was only one command level officer in the Imperial Star Legion who chose to have rose pink borders and highlights added to their cerulean blue uniforms.

Liliane: "Star-Captain Liliane Celkosen reporting~!"

Liliane saluted with the customary two fingers to the temple while smiling as always. That reporting line had a bit of a tone spin on it around the middle and end, but that was about as formal as this particular person is willing to go.

Tolkin sent a short mental command and a chair rose out of the floor in front of his work desk.

Tolkin: "Please have a seat, Star-Captain."

Liliane: "Domo~"

Star-Captain Liliane, 2nd Imperial Princess, and Countess of an undeveloped archipelago on Astraea given the name Atlantis, quickly made her way to the chair and sat down, her short blonde hair ruffling in the air briefly and her dark blue eyes looking at Tolkin with a combination of curiosity and amusement. There have been several commanders in the past who have been offended by just the way she looks at people, but frankly it was probably those people's self-confidence that needed help more than anything else.

Well, there's certain no need for any real formality here, thought Tolkin. Apart from Liliane's personality, he's also known the young girl since she was an infant. Thinking that, the Fleet-Marshal leaned back once again and smiled naturally.

Tolkin: "Princess, no doubt you've wondered which new assignment I've called you here for, and under the risk of boring your royal highness for a bit longer, I'd like to ask if you've managed to gather any data on what it may be."

Liliane shrugged for a moment.

Liliane: "Not much. No floating information regarding any new threats from the galaxy south, or local problems, or major exercises. Although it seems the 77th started supplying three days ago which is definitely out of schedule, and at the same time section one of naval command suddenly quadrupled their network traffic. You guys are hiding something big that just popped up, aren't you?"

Tolkin took a second to think over the information. Liliane was one of the second generation Imperial Heirs specifically 'designed' to be good at monitoring and processing large amounts of information, particularly military information. Consulting her is one of the better ways of analyzing what the military may be doing wrong in its secret-keeping. From this time it seems like the naval intelligence people need a few more hints dropped off at their doorstep.

Tolkin: "Indeed. His Majesty finally decided several days ago that the time has come for a campaign against Chroma. Exelar personally proposed for you to lead the campaign on the space side of things, and I fully endorse his suggestion. I've given command for the level three databases to grant you access to all of our information regarding Chroma, give that a glance and tell me what you think."

Liliane nodded while closing her eyes. Personal implant's capability for direct digital interfacing also means it can directly project the information to one's mind, creating a mental image of any document, picture, or video. It does require a degree of focus, and many find it not as convenient when one needs multiple documents pulled up and examined at the same time for work. However for simple processes like reading new information it was more than adaquate. On another note, closing the eyes is hardly a necessity, but it does allow one to concentrate better and work faster.

The process took a few minutes, during which Tolkin decided to check his email and look over some minor documents. Then...

Liliane: "Got it, sorry that took a while, wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything."

Tolkin nodded back, silently urging for her to continue.

Liliane: "They're obviously too busy squabbling over the ground to worry much about space, especially since we haven't shown any sign of aggression over the last three decades and their sense of alertness went back down. With only one cruiser-class and twelve destroyer-class ODPs (Orbital Defense Platform), all of them rather dated, I'm sure I can knock it down with just my Berezina alone. There's not much information on what their planetary defenses may consist of, but Intel seems to believe they wouldn't put much priority onto that and I completely agree. Not mentioning the massive disadvantage planetary weapons face against an outer space attack on any normal planet not blessed with Penthiae's barrier."

Tolkin: "You sound confident enough."

Liliane grinned, with a hint of viciousness this time.

Liliane: "That space defense is not even enough for appetizers."

Tolkin: "And what if their expedition ships return? They've sent out six cruisers over the past three decades, although only two of them returned before leaving again. We don't know if they have any means to quickly return to the planet like our Starwarp drives allow."

Liliane: "I should have at least destroyed their orbital fortifications by then. Even if they return altogether at the same time, based on our information on Chromian magitech, six of their light scout cruisers should have only a sixty-three percent chance at best of victory against a fully prepared Star Cruiser of ours. I believe my crew can handle those odds."

Tolkin: "Confident, aren't you? I know you're one of the best starship commanders in the fleet, but don't let it get to your head. What is the minimum number of cruisers you think you could use for this mission?"

Liliane: "Two... yeah two Star Cruisers will be sufficient, leaves enough error range in case our information was insufficient or incorrect."

Tolkin: "Alright, I'll give you three - your Berezina plus the two independent Star-Cruisers Rossbach and Hohenfried. In return I want you to successfully cover the 77th Field Brigade's landing without taking a single hull structural hit. How's that?"

Liliane thought for a moment.

Liliane: "If Murphy's willing to look the other way, it'll be doable."

Tolkin: "In that case go through that data on Chroma in greater detail with your staff and construct three preliminary attack plans for me, I want it in my inbox by Friday noon."

Liliane: "Roger~"

Tolkin: "And if you're wondering, yes I do plan on posting you at Chroma to support the planetary operation, but I'll need the other two Cruisers back after the landing. You've probably heard bits and pieces about the new Kingdom threat already so we'll be needing our Cruiser force assembled and ready to move out."
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Heaven's Gate

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:55 am

As the last of the sun falls beyond the distant horizon, night has fallen upon the Minoyama Citadel, the center of military command for the Sanada clan. Despite the late time, Ryouta Sanada, warlord of the Sanada clan, was busy in a deep discussion with his two generals Kazuo Yasuda and Hayate Iwase, planning their next action in light of the latest events.

Ryouta: "So, Heita has finished resupplying and is moving onto the Bisha Capital of Tenmen*."
*[Tenmen literally means Heaven's Gate]

Kazuo: "The third powered infantry corps with nine cruisers as support... Tenmen has impressive fortifications, but they stand no chance against that."

Powered infantry units are the military cores of the northeastern and eastern clans. As their name indicate, they are infantry troopers encased in large powered armor suits capable of both land and aerial movement. They are typically armed with a shoulder-mounted light recoiless rail cannon, as well as a built-in electro-charged incarnum steel katar for close combat. Powered infantry squads are carried into battle by aerial assault boats, which functions as an armored personnal carrier. These assault boats, in turn, are heavily armored, armed with support weapons, and backed up by the centerpieces of most Chromian militaries - the heavily armed and armored Sky Cruiser.

Ryouta: "No, they don't. Did our light infantry finish assembling?"

Kazuo: "Yes, two full divisions ready and at your command."

Chromian light infantry typically stood for one of two things. They were either melee-armed commandos whose lack of powered armor would allow them greater mobility and reduced detectability, or simple lightly armed auxiliary skirmishers whom were more often conscripted or reserve militia than military professionals. In this case it was the latter, as Ryouta's two light divisions were completely undertrained units equipped with stockpiled assault rifles and grenade launchers and transported by armored ground transports designed for security or paramilitary use.

Ryouta: "Good, then we're going to head out first thing tomorrow and help our allies."

Kazuo was unfazed by Ryouta's announcement, as if he'd been expecting it all along. However Brigadier Hayate Iwase was completely bewildered by the proposal.

Hayate: "Sire, I understand your father and you have been improving the Sanada military for the past three decades in preparation, and our forces may be able to defeat the Jinnan vanguard. But once you defeat Heita, what then? Do you seriously expect to win against Rouga and Heidou's battle hardened central force once they arrive?"

Ryouta: "No, I do not believe we can defeat or permanently hold off the Jinnan's main army either. However Iwase, you're missing the goal. Once the Jinnan conquers the Bisha we're the obvious next target, as they will more likely leave the Kaido alone for now as a buffer state between them and the Kusanagi. We're too heavily outmatched by the Jinnan to aim for outright victory. What we seek is a settlement that ensures our survival, and for that we need bargaining room. The Jinnan are warriors by nature. If they perceive us as weak and cowardly, their army will steamroll right over us. However if we attack them, hit them hard and bloody them up, then they may perceive us as a genuine and respectable opponent, and only a respected opponent may become a useful ally, not to mention making them think about the casualties they'd take from crushing us the hard way. Only in that scenario can we negotiate with them and achieve a more favorable settlement - becoming their vassals, rather than their next conquest."

Hayate: "But!..."

Ryouta: "Yes, we will be defeated in a sense, but we will survive. That, is the key. We have a future, and a chance to recover, so long as we survive. However if we become their next conquest, we'd lose everything."

Hayate thought for a moment before gritting his teeth and nodding reluctantly. What the warlord says may make sense in a political sense, but the concept is still tainted with the dishonor and shame of a military surrender.

Kazou: "The question of course, is if we can win against their vanguard."

Hayate: "We have roughly sixty thousand troops, and Colonel Hiromoto of the Bisha Tenmen Guard reports about ten thousand troops, totalling more than seventy thousand against Fukuoka Heita's less than forty thousand. However we only have three powered infantry divisions and the Bisha one garrison infantry brigade, the remaining two divisions and five regiments, nearly half our force, are merely light infantry. Furthermore, Heita's third corps of three powered infantry divisions are veteran troops of fighting against the Bisha, while most of our troops have little actual battlefield experience."

Ryouta: "Yes, but we do have two advantages: we have ten cruisers with support from Bisha's Tenmen Sky Fortress against Fukuoka Heita's nine cruisers, and that Tenmen's ring of eight fortresses offer a potent defensive ring. What is obvious, I believe, is that unless the Jinnan shows an unpredicted opportunity later, Tenmen's fortified defenses offers us our best chance at blooding up the Jinnan forces."

Kazuo: "I'd say our resources are closely matched enough to offer us fair battle. However what I'm more worried about is how much we can depend on the Bisha."

Ryouta: "Explain."

Kazuo: "What we're planning here is obviously tossing Bisha into the meat grinder once we win this battle. However, they must realize also that unless a miracle occurs, there is no way we can hold off against the Jinnan's full might for more than a few months, half year at the most. So what if the Bisha surrenders to the Jinnan during the battle? That would completely blow off our planning and troop proportions."

Ryouta got up from his chair and strolled around the table for a moment in deep thought...

Ryouta: "I've met Colonel Hiromoto on several occasions, I believe him to be a honorable and loyal man. Besides, no lord would ever trust a military commander who once betrayed and surrendered such an important garrison. I do not think the Colonel would be stupid enough to make such a mistake."

Kazuo: "What if Princess Yume decides on such a thing then? She's only a child after all, and not even in her teens yet."

Ryouta: "Might be worse if she was in her teens, she'd definitely be more unpredictable. However in this situation I don't think she'll take that path."

Kazuo: "What makes you say that?"

Ryouta thought for a moment, then smiled and sat back down at his seat.

Ryouta: "Just a feeling. Besides, you think the main family member of a clan whose last twenty some direct relatives all died bravely on the battlefield has it in their blood to even consider surrender?!"

The two generals looked at each other after that comment. True, there's no doubt that the blood of brave and proud warriors flow through the Bisha clan, but...

Ryouta: "Either way, that's going to be a gamble we're simply going to have to take."

Ryouta: "On a more positive thinking note, I think our key to winning this battle decisively will have to rely upon Heita himself."

Kazuo: "Rely upon him?"

Ryouta: "He's got the courage and charisma to be a commander, but merely the brains of a noncom and the temperament of a grenadier. We just need to provoke him into something of our advantage before Jinnan's tactician could notice and rectify the fault, like bogging down his assault troops in the fortresses or something. So... any ideas?"
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Battle for Chromian Orbit

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 pm

One moment, the space was empty. A second later, six capital ships bearing the crest of the Terran Imperium appeared out of the void. The squadron of ships consisted of three Star Cruisers, followed by three Assault Barges at a lower speed. Onboard the three transports were the 77th Imperial Field Brigade alongside a large quantity of materials and prefabricated modules required for the rapid construction of planetary bases.

Astrogation: "Starwarp successful. Sensors stabilizing... We have arrived in the Chroma system. Distance from the planet Chroma III is 3 million kilometers. Velocity at three percent lightspeed. Crossing orbit with the planet in 8 minutes at 50 million kilometer range."

The squadron starwarped directly from Penthiae after loading up on personnel and accelerating to the desired velocity. 'Starwarp' was the preferred method of faster-than-light (FTL) travel for interstellar vessels of the Terran Imperium. It was essentially a fancy term for an expanded teleportation spell, allowing ships to travel instantaneously from any one point in space to another within up to a range of roughly 15 to 20 light years (depending on the engine). Starwarp ships are specially constructed with magitech conductors spread throughout the hull of the ship, linking its various sections to the Starwarp Magitech Core like a huge spider web and allowing the high-powered teleportation spell to be channeled across, grabbing everything within the ship's hulls in a single electric-reinforced magic surge. Its advantages over conventional hyperdrives used by the Sacred Kingdom and Mantisir Republic were obvious, for it was not just FTL but instantaneous transportation. However it has one massive downside - the power consumption of a single jump were positively astronomical, to the point even Imperial military ships have to spend days charging up the power reserves spent by a Starwarp jump. This may still be a faster means of strategic movement. But for tacticians, or captains in this case, trying to figure out how to distribute their resources in a combat scenario, this becomes an absolute nightmare to handle.

Engineering: "Power reserves at forty-one percent, magic reserve at seventy percent. All systems stabilized and green."

Executive Officer (XO): "Rossbach and Hohenfried reports ready sir. Both with sixty-four percent power."

Liliane smiled broadly as she leaned back in the captain's chair onboard the Star-Cruiser Berezina. This is no simulation, no exercise. This is the real thing. Now, it's time to seen just how capable her opponents are this time...

Liliane: "The actors are poised, the curtains are rising, and the audience is given an unexpected performance. Liliane get ready~! You are about to make your debut~!"

Abruptly springing up from her chair, she raised her right hand up and swung it in a wide arc to pointed straight at the primary display of the monitor.

Liliane: "Everyone~! Today will be a day to be remembered, a day to be recorded. So make sure to give them something to write about, to give yourself something to brag about, and to let the descendants of centuries past understand the spirit of today! All ships! Adjust course heading to eleven-ten-two-zero. Launch Frigates and REDEIN wings one and two at vector twelve in Hexagon Pincer formation! Execute combined missile defense plan Delta and fire plan Avalanche!"

As the forward hull of each of the three star-cruisers began turning, the broadside launchers pumped out full volleys of Anti-Capital Cruise-Missiles (ACCMs). Unlike traditional broadsides of the ancient man-of-wars, Star-Cruise ACCM gravitic launchers were placed at a forty-five degree forward angle and performed at its optimum when firing at enemies in the 1-to-2 and 10-to-11'o clock range. The entire forward section was designed to rotate about the ship's central axis, allowing both broadsides to be brought to bear in consecutive volleys. Dozens of ACCMs soon raced out towards the planet from the three ships, and on their heels chased six Escort Frigates and 120 REDEINs, plus another 120 replacement REDEINs riding on the Escort Frigates' backs.

Flight time took a few minutes, during when the missiles left the frigates and strike craft far behind with their higher initial launch velocity. Of course, the intention was not to have the REDEINs directly assault the planet orbitals anyways. They are merely to station themselves at the halfway point, ready to intercept any missile launches from the planet.

Thirty seconds passed, then a minute, two... there were still no armed response from the orbitals, whom must be scrambling to pull their defenses online after the obvious sign of hostility. A communications request was received from the primary orbital defense platform almost immediately after launch, but was outright rejected. There is no room for bargaining right now. The plan has been set in motion, therefore the orbital defenses must be destroyed. Only after that may a compromise be acceptance, if it's favorable enough.

Liliane: "What incompetence..."

The first wave of missile had entered their terminal maneuvers, and the orbital platforms finally responded in kind by opening up point-defense fire. One fact was obvious - the defenders had been caught with their pants down. The lack of retaliatory fire and even worse, lack of counter-missile fire, could only mean one thing: those defenses had been mostly or wholly deactivated just a few minutes ago, and their controllers were currently scrambling to bring up their primary generators.

...then, seventy-two miniature arrows on the display representing ACCMs of the first wave vanished. They were comprised of the first two volleys, with the first volley's acceleration reduced just enough to allow the second volley to catch up before reaching target. Unlike Sacred Kingdom ships which also relied on EMS, Chromians utilized Incarnum Shields which rendered the resonance generators onboard Imperial ACCMs useless. But that did not stop the brute strength of nuclear fusion as the warheads detonated against the shield bubble one after another. A second later, the red dot that represented the largest orbital defense platform around the planet vanished.

Tactical Officer (TO): "First wave contact. Primary target destroyed. Lighter debris than expected from target."

Liliane: "Overkill~?"

TO: "Intel may be overestimating the strength of the enemy's incarnum shield bubbles."

Liliane: "Better over than under. Spread targeting out by twenty percent, the enemy's CM and PD are yet at full strength. But really! I expected at least a competent challenge worthy of the occasion, not a pushover!"

True to the words, the second wave of missiles encountered a much better layered defense from the smaller platforms. EW and decoys were soon drawing missiles away from the real target. Counter-missiles raced out to intercept the heavy ACCMs, while last-effort laser point-defense clusters went into full power rapid fire. Imperials ACCMs were relatively slow as far as space-going missiles go. But these missiles were also shielded, with a particularly high EMS coverage of the front specially designed to absorb the punishment of counter-missiles and point-defense. They were weak against strike craft that could hit them from the sides and rear, but the Chromians didn't have that to protect their platforms. A few ACCMs died, but most of them soaked up the limited defensive fire such small platforms could put out and rammed straight in.

TO: "Targets beta-one through beta-three destroyed. Beta-four through beta-six returning fire! Launch detected from six planetary defense bases, locations... they're in the D&F territory, presumably fortified on the mountains! More launches from D&F territory... they're too slow to be space missiles... huh... these readings... eighty-seven incarnum juggernauts inbound from the planet!"

Liliane: "The ground-side response time isn't bad at all. Maybe they're not a complete disappointment after all. Still, to be sending planetary units against our cruisers, the opponent certainly has guts."

TO: "Or they may simply be more space capable than we originally thoughts."

Liliane: "That's very much likely. All Frigates, maintain hexagon formation, spread out from the enemy force's central axis of advance. Forward REDEINs focus on missile defense. Launch REDEIN wing three and four to rendezvous with the frigates. Hold missile fire, switch tubes to laser heads."

The third wave of missiles soon reached their targets, and the last three remaining orbital platforms this side of the planet were silenced by fusion reactions. At the same time, sixty more REDEINs raced out from the ships. Unlike the earlier REDEIN squadrons, these were loaded with attack missiles designed to target light starships rather than the swarmer missile pods designed to counter hostile missile volleys.

Then, for several minutes, the planetary bases sent several volley of heavy missiles from ground-based launchers. However, the missile waves did little to impress as the forward REDEIN screen slashed each one apart. Proximity losses from fusion detonations cost a few REDEINs that got too close, but there were another 120 awaiting onboard the Escort Frigate that acted as forward supply depots. Only around a third of their numbers would pass through the missile defense screen, and then the heavy defenses of the Imperial cruisers lay waiting for them. EW jammed their sensors, decoys lured them off the real target, proximity hits from chaff-missiles detonated them, counter-missiles slashed their apart, and laser point-defense picked off any lucky survivors. With local space superiority and defensive tech advantage, it was only the planetary bases' sheer volume of fire that allowed them to even make two hits on the Imperial cruisers. The Rossbach and Berezina's electromagnetic shields flared under the fusion explosions, but they held without a hitch.

But other than defending, the Imperials did nothing. They were collecting data from the missile launches, waiting...

TO: "Target gamma-six pinpointed! Twenty-six point four nine latitude by forty-eight point sixteen longitude!"

Liliane: "The next act has come! Simultaneously target all six planetary defense bases with the Berezina, Rossbach, and Hohenfried's starshift launchers! Load tactical fusion heads."

CO: "All launchers report loaded."

Liliane: "FIRE!"

Magic energy surged across the hulls of the three Star Cruisers, concentrated mostly around the three bumps that were the armored 'Starshift Launchers'. Utilizing the same concept as Starwarp, Starshift launchers prepares a small teleportation field and launches a warhead into the field the instant it transitioned. Effectively, they allowed warheads to be sent directly into the structure of enemy units and installations, unless they were locked from extra-dimensional disturbances. It was an immensely powerful weapon with unlimited tactical firing range. However it suffered the same weakness as the Starwarp Drive - it was energy consumptive and could only be used sparingly.

Six energy flare readings suddenly marked the mountain ranges on the smaller continent as six different mountaintops were blown apart by tactical nuclear warheads.

Liliane: "Status of enemy Juggernauts?"

TO: "They are continuing on route for a zero-zero intercept with us. Estimated time five minutes. Current distance from planet 300 thousand kilometers. Long range scanners report ion engine streams, likely externals as its unlikely for planetary units to utilize ion engines. As a matter of fact, difference in size between our sensor reading and Intelligence would suggest they're carrying particularly heavy external ordinances and modules."

Liliane: "Decelerate and restart missile volleys. Send out the reserve REDEIN wings against them, then launch two more wings on automation after them."

Laser heads were different from fusion heads in that instead of a high energy proximity or contact explosion, laser heads contained bomb-pumped cores that sent out a burst of high powered x-ray laser beams. Because of their concentrated energy in individual vectors, laser heads were far more effective at penetrating energy-deflecting shields and armor than nuclear heads. However because it was impossible to exactly control where the x-rays would go, using laser heads too close to a planet is likely to cause far more collateral damage than nuclear heads where an exact area-of-effect radius is known.

The fire exchange switched as Imperial ACCMs hurled itself against the Juggernaut formation while the Chromians stayed only on the defensive. However it soon became obvious that the Chromian invested far more money per tonnage on these Juggernauts than the orbital platforms. All of their defenses were proportionally better, and their shield strength were positively astounding for their small size, which seemed to absorb lasers that sought them out with limitless persistence. Making it all worse was the fact ACCMs were designed to destroy starships, not hunt down such small and maneuverable targets. Here and there a few unlucky juggernauts would find themselves hit by too many x-rays at once, and as soon as their shield bubble collapsed their armor lasted mere seconds against warheads designed to destroy capital starships. But for the most the juggernauts continued their charge.

The starshift launchers soon joined in on the fight, but found their effectiveness limited. They were designed to destroy starships, not waste their massive power loads on individual small vessels. It was unknown whether the enemy had any form of extra-dimensional guard or not, but if they did it did not cover all of the shield bubble's volume, and any fusion head that found itself inside the shields blew the Juggernaut apart.

The juggernaut force, still roughly seventy strong, soon found itself nearing the Imperials' outer defensive screen. The frigates and REDEINs had already spread out into a hexagonal ring tens of thousands of kilometers in radius, leaving a large hole in the center of the formation. The Chromian pilots could either choose to pass through and target the mothership directly, where all the fire was coming from, but find itself pinned between the screen and the cruisers; or they could change vectors and assault the screen while the cruises continued to bombard them from afar.

TO: "Enemy force course unchanged, they're heading straight for us. Wait... they're launching missiles... but only passing shots against the defensive screen."

XO: "Not surprising. We're obviously the bigger threat, especially since all they've seen is the screen being passive and going only after missiles."

TO: "But this missile density. They have to be flushing their external racks to get this density! What are they planning to engage us with?"

Liliane was looking almost bored in the captain's seat, then suddenly sat upright as she realized something.

Liliane: "All ships to maximum deceleration. Order REDEIN wings one and two to focus on defending the frigates. Three, four, and five are to converge on the enemy force once they pass point Y. Get the frigates to reload their spare REDEINs with attack missile payloads! Weapons, calculate acceleration for a simultaneous attack wave via next four volleys."

XO: "Sir?"

Liliane: "Keep our distance from those Juggernauts, or its possible this battle may go downhill real fast. Those volleys have got to be their full external payload. But do you think Kayeten's Gespensters are the only space-capable design built against conventional space combat senses and optimized for extra close, virtually point-blank range combat?"

The Juggernaut force's three passing volleys fired over a three hundred heavy missiles (although nowhere anti-capital grade). At relatively close range (in space combat terms) they saturated the screening force's defenses. Despite the REDEINs' best efforts, enough warheads reached their targets to destroy two frigate and crippling another two. Wing one and two also lost about 50 REDEINs against the proximity detonations, as well as another 80 of the reserve REDEINs onboard the frigates.

But wings three and four detached itself early enough. They converged upon the enemy juggernaut force with wing five and a massive wave of ACCM missiles from the other side. The total force numbering 144 ACCMs followed by 180 REDEINs. They smashed into the Chromian Juggernaut formation one after another. A storm of x-ray bursts shattered several targets alongside a dozen friendly fighters, then immediately followed by several hundred attack missiles from the REDEIN groups. Then as soon as they launched, the pilots switched control to the 120 REDEINs following on autopilot and then slammed their missile loads into the meat-grinder as well. The Juggernauts' shields withstood truly impressive quantities of punishment, but the attack was simply too fierce, too concentrated, and one after another their shield bubbles began to drop. Dozens of juggernauts died under the storm of fire, and when the sensor readings stabilized again, only nineteen could be seen remaining. Yet they still continued their charge against the cruisers, be it drive by courage, desperation, or most likely, both.

After continuous starshift launcher fire, power reserves across all three cruisers were already in the critical levels. Their missiles weren't very effective. Their REDEINs were returning to reload, but the enemy survivors were closing in on the remaining distance.

Liliane showed no interest of testing if the enemy had any surprises for close combat. Not with this much on the line.

There was still one more card she could use by herself.

The Berezina may be old, but it was her ship, and in this case the Captain made all the difference.

Liliane: "Commander Remington, you have control of the bridge. Keep this ship's starshift launchers firing and prepare to Execute Oversurge."

And with that, Liliane hurried off the bridge via the shortcut to core engineering room, leaving her Executive Officer in charge. The bridge and the core were the two most critical compartments in the starship, and they were both located deep within the center of the hull and next to one another.

Security recognized her codes as the Captain, and two massive blast doors opened consecutively, granting access directly to the primary energy control node of the ship's fusion reactors.

Liliane found a few square meters of open floor and sat down with her legs folded beneath her, then took a few deep breaths and braced herself...

Liliane: "Weaponization program, initiate, mode 8 predefined, maximum output."

As the descendant of a Zanaikin, Liliane had some training in weaponization. But this... was simply not something anyone can get used to... or would they want to get used to. The story of weaponization and its destructive potential was known to virtually everyone in the Imperium military, but few understand how much of a last-resort it is...

If they had only seen it, seen a close up of the weaponization process, then they would understand...

After a few seconds, it was over, the Liliane found herself fully connected with the ship's central systems. She was converting her own energy reserves, not to mention stock encoded programs, to power usable by the ship at fast as possible, while at the same time projecting her consciousness over the network to the bridge to keep track of the battle. She always wondered what it would feel like for a bridge officer to suddenly see a miniature [chibi if you get the term] version of their captain walking around the display screen and giving orders, for they were certainly experiencing it now.

It only took another minute or two before the Berezina's Starshift launchers, alongside continued missile fire from all three ships, converted the last Juggernaut into space debris.

There were still a few orbital platforms on the other side of the planet, and possible a few more planetary bases. But those have already proven themselves to be pushovers... as long as D&F doesn't launch another massive wave of incarnum juggernauts at them. If they did, she would have to request the Field Brigade to help out... in an orbital battle.

Liliane: "But for now, we have the orbit."
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Skies of Akashi I

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 am

"Major Kumato reports mission success, target C neutralized."

General Seki of the 2nd Tachibana Task Group was still thinking about the last report as his fleet crossed the border into Akashi territory, just as the morning sun was halfway up its climb.

Still not a single defender in sight, the General thought. And why should there be? General Kiyoshi currently led the main Tachibana-Ishida attack force and is without a doubt mauling that poor excuse for a fleet the Akashi has right now. The Akashi's available mobile forces were all drawn into that massive slugfest in the east, while his force of nine Sky Cruisers and two Assault Transports slid in from the west. Sure there was a formidable fortress that covered the approach and would no doubt delay the attack, except that Kuma's commandos just shattered its garrison and sabotaged the control systems.

So far, so good. Everything was going as planned. In another twenty minutes Seki's force will be bringing their firepower into the main battle at a one-ten degree angle, and the Akashi force will be caught in a crossfire. The 2nd Task Group will be the hammer to General Kiyoshi's anvil, and the Akashi will be turned to scrap metal between the two.

If those incarnum-loving fools want to blame anyone, blame their own gradual decline, and maybe blame the Kusanagi for tying itself down in their war against Mohara.

Tactical Officer [TO]: "Hostile energy signature launching from the ground."

Seki: "Numbers and classification?"

TO: "One, no bigger than a Cruise Missile, coming in fast."

The young general looked at Kaga, Captain of the Sky Cruiser Hosho, with a puzzled face. The Captain simply shrugged in cluelessness.

Kaga: "They can't be that desperate can they? What can they do with a single missile? It doesn't make sense, and I don't like this at all. Go into red two, active mode four. Get our airskimmers to shoot it down."

Executive Officer [XO]: "Fleet declaring red two status, initiating active mode four. Lieutenant Rokuro copies."

XO: "Sir, do you think its---"

Kaga: "Sakura is not the boogeyman, Hiji. No matter how deadly her swordsmanship may be against infantry, she can't start slicing through the armor of nine Sky Cruisers with a mere katana now, can she?"

XO: "But I just got confirmation, no one has seen her in the main..."

TO: "Enemy vector change! Hosho four-- and three-- one is down. Hosho six crippled, eight-- and two destroyed-- Nine and seven going down. Five-- didn't get away. Sir we just lost our airskimmer complement in a matter of seconds! It's turned back to--- heading straight for us!"

The whole bridge was in a state of shock. The reports simply came too fast. The airskimmer strike crafts were being destroyed faster than the tactical officer could announce them, and all by a single enemy unit smaller than a Cruise Missile.

XO: "That's Sakura... there's no doubt, it has to..."

Seki: "Recall all airskimmers to defend the fleet! I want a wall of fire between us and that... thing now!"

Kaga: "All airskimmers engage at maximum range. All ships fire by broadside salvo!"

----------

Dozens of heavy rail turrets distributed across the nine cruisers began to turn, pointing their massive barrels downwards toward the ground below while proximity flak shells were loaded. Then the first broadside fired, then a second, then a third...

And that was all they had time for...

Sakura, the battle princess of the Akashi house, carried five Incarnum Shield Bubble generators today, and had distributed virtually the entire essentia load of her and her partner across them. Despite her astronomical speed and lightning reflexes the proximity shells from the Tachibana ships still made contact. But those guns were designed to either pound large targets or dense formations of smaller targets; they simply could not concentrate enough firepower against her.

Shields flared as wave after wave of tungsten flechettes ripped towards her. Three of her shields popped, and one was drained to its minimum. But her defenses held, and Sakura quickly entered the railguns' minimum effective range. Point-defense lasers fought furiously to defend their vessels, but their targetting algorithms were designed to deal with high movement targets like missiles and airskimmers.

Sakura, thanks to Sword of Akashi enhancing her own abilities, was utterly defying the fundamental laws of physics. She zigzagged erratically across the airspace near the massive sky Cruisers, making virtually instantaneous turns at such high speeds which should have generated forces that would crush any normal human instantly. Against such movement it was impossible to calculate her trajectory and fire preemptively.

Well that's just too bad, thought Sakura. You wanted our lives, now its time to pay with yours.

Mentally selecting one of the leading Sky Cruisers, Sakura launched her attack run against it, continuing to zigzag across the skies as a pink blur of incarnum energy all the while. She extended her left arm, and the compact grenade launcher burped, and again, and again. But instead of firing normal grenades, each projectile that came out passed through a dispelling screen and immediately unshrunk... to 500 kilo armor piercing bombs.

Within just a few seconds, Sky Cruiser Chokai lost every turret on its starboard broadside.

----------

Kurita: "Alright men! The Princess is clearing the way for us! Let's not get lagged behind any more than we already are!"

As explosions rocked the Tachibana Sky Cruisers in the airspace above, the Akashi air units finally took off their camouflage and revealed themselves. Fifty-one Burai Armored Corvettes carrying an understrengthed brigade of light infantry took off into the air, rapidly climbing towards the battle. The Burai class was unique to the Akashi clan. Too poor to purchase fleets of Sky Cruisers from the Kusanagi and outright denied by the Delral, the Akashi could only rely on the bravery and spirit of their infantry to secure the war resources necessary for survival. The Burai was a craft specially design to ferry Akashi infantry to board enemy ships. It had no weapons, with all of the craft's power concentrated on its high powered drives and impressive shield strength, most of which is focused to the front thanks to the innovative primary incarnum shield-screen generator. This design left the Burai exceptionally resilient against the defensive fire from their targets. Furthermore, the craft featured shield generator built through the hull, exposed both inside and outside, which allowed the infantry-supporting Akashi swordbonders to lend their power to the shields during the attack run.

They were deadly threats to capital ships, even without Sakura crippling all the starboard turrets on the Tachibana cruisers, which is the same direction the Burai force is coming in from.

Kurita: "We will seize that ship in time for lunch in its mess hall!!"

The men cheered through the communication channel as Colonel Kurita directed his troops into the battle, which was quickly turning into a slaughter as the Tachibana commander, in a final attempt to form screening elements, released his powered infantry into the aerial battle.

They didn't stand a chance as a pink blur sliced into their loose formation, zigzagging and bouncing left and right between the armored infantry, cleaving men apart with precise strikes that cut cleanly through powered armor as if they didn't exist.

The men on board watched the sensor screen, or at least listened to those who can, while anxiously awaiting their moment. In a few minutes they'll be boarding the Tachibana cruisers, and not even powered infantry, if there were any significant numbers on-board, will be able to hold their ground in a close-quarters fight against the infamous Akashi light infantry and their incarnum-charged katanas.

----------

The mopping up took several hours, but the battle had been over within fifteen minutes. The Akashi lost seven Burai Corvettes and all seven of the infantry platoons onboard, plus another five hundred brave souls when the Tachibana successfully resisted the hacking and self-destructed two of their Sky Cruisers.

The Tachibana however, lost two sky cruisers by their own hands, four more captured by the enemy, and one last shot down by the Akashi's newly captured ships during the retreat. Hundreds of powered infantry were slain or fallen to their death after their suits' propulsion systems were crippled. One assault transport and most of the remaining powered infantry surrendered. Only two sky cruisers, deprived of all their guns, and one transport managed to get away, its commanders making out with their lives but will doubtlessly be held accountable for the disastrous defeat, as both General Seki and Flag-Captain Kaga died when the Hosho self-destructed.

The Akashi then drove the four newly captured cruisers to support the main battle with their fully-functional port broadsides, which contributed timely support to a demolition ship charge and overturned the situational advantage General Kiyoshi worked so hard to achieve. Seizing the moment, General Touya quickly turned the tables on the Tachibana-Ishida combined fleet, forcing them to withdraw.

Once again, a battle had been won by the Akashi against overwhelming odds. Their forces had paid severely due to the shoddy equipment of their fleet, which mostly consisted of armed merchant ships and modified transports instead of proper military cruisers. But the state will live on, the freedom of its azurins and dusklings will continue, and that meant everything had been more than worth it for those who sacrificed their lives.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Clouds of Asagami I

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 pm

"Touko~chan~!"

Touko Tsukibane quickly turned around as her eyes glared at the offending speaker who dared address her with such familiarity in public. Probably worse still was the fact said person was running down the halls of the sacred Kannagi Cloud Temple.

Touko: "Stop that this instant Hiro! How many years as it been! Why can't you learn to walk properly in these halls!"

Hiro: "Because I'm a busy person. Do you know how many hours of the day you can save by running between places instead of walking?"

Touko: "That's not an excuse and you know it! And I've also told you to stop calling me that in public!"

Hiro: "Oh quit the angry glare already, with your face that's not going to affect anyone, except maybe draw more fans..."

And at that moment a spark almost seems to have ignited Touko's eyes, and it certainly did not escape Hiro's attention.

Hiro: "Anyways, I do have urgent business today that needs to be taken care of fast. You heard the news?"

Touko: "Who hasn't? The whole planet is in an uproar over it."

Hiro: "So what does our fearless leader think of these so-called Imperials?"

Touko: "Hmmm... my first impression is that they should change their name if they want to sound like the good guys. Any PR personnel know the 'empire' is always the antagonists. 'Liberate this world'...empires don't liberate, they conquer and dominate with an iron fist. Even a grade-schooler will tell you that."

Hiro: "Well, putting the name aside. We're hardly dealing with faerie tales and fantasy novels here."

Touko: "Closer to science-fiction I'd say, if they traveled all the way here and then obliterated Faerskor's defenses that easily their technology is probably well above us. But in all seriousness, I'm not sure I can trust any invader who comes claiming that they're some kind of hero of justice."

Hiro: "What do you expect them to do? Denounce themselves as our future oppressors? That will sure give them a good starting reputation."

Touko [shrugs]: "I don't know. Just state their mission as it is? It's most likely they're aiming to conquer this world. At least stating that will earn them some points in honesty."

Hiro: "...and a whole lot of enemies, more and faster than they've already gained, at any rate."

Touko: "Yes yes, it's pretty obvious I'd have no clue in their shoes. After all, I wasn't brought up learning how to be the kind and proper invader, if that isn't an oxymoron by itself. Claiming to liberate others from tyranny, only to place them under a different tyranny."

Hiro: "You think they've browbeat Kochikaze into the oppressed first conquest?"

Touko: "No state that survived for centuries would surrender so easily otherwise, not even a peaceful one like Kochikaze. No person in their right mind will ever believe that they didn't threaten Kochikaze. I mean, just nuking six Delral & Faerskor cities is a threat declared to the planet in itself, they only need to move a finger after that to intimidate another. I have absolutely no doubt that they browbeat Kochikaze into it, whether actively or passively."

Touko: "But as for oppressed, who knows?"

Hiro: "Has any of our members in Kochikaze reported back?"

Touko: "Yes, they're evacuating the state, alongside thousands of other refugees. The Kochikaze are turning a blind eye to it all, and the Imperials haven't had the time to digest. Matter of fact I expect them to be far more focused on other threats right now. All they know is that the Imperials didn't land with some strict and obscene proclamation, but that hardly says anything."

Hiro: "Before we know it there'll be laws stating Chromians have to live in rundown districts and use broken toilets, you think?"

Touko: "I don't know. I hope not. Frankly, it's all coming in too fast, and we simply don't have enough information on them. I believe the Faerskor announced something about this Terran Imperium several decades back, but we haven't heard anything for years and everyone thought they stopped caring."

Hiro: "Then I presume you don't know our stance to all this yet."

Touko: "Does our stance towards them really matter? Our military's offensive capability is a joke, while the Akashi are busy with their hands full at the moment."

Hiro: "Poor Sakura and Seikan, when do they not have their hands full..."

Touko: "If there's any stance to be taken, I'd say it's that we need information, all of us. Let the Moharas rush in and bloody their noses. Whether the rest of us fights or not, we need information on the Imperials first. Even if they're the most villianous empire in the galaxy we still need to learn just how to fight them."

Hiro: "You're thinking sending some members in civilian cover?"

Touko: "Not in civilian cover, they might get caught by slavers like that. Dantists are part of the Chromian system and no one will really be surprised if one or two show up. We just need a few highly capable people down there. And hacking, lots of it, the Imperials can't land their presence without setting up a network and databases of their own."

Hiro: "Now hackers, what would we ever use them for? Leave that to the Kusanagi, I expect. Or the Akashi, their hackers are fierce I'd say, and quite skilled at taking down military firewalls too. But... who do you have in mind to send?"

Touko: "How's Makoto for starters?"

Hiro: "That is a good idea I'll say. I think he's been in the doldrums of sorts ever since coming back from the Jinnan, and it doesn't help we haven't had any missions for him. This could be just the thing for helping him get his life back together. Besides, they might just be two more benefits to get out of this!"

Hiro: "One, Makoto is currently still connected with the Kusanagi on some business of his, so he may be able to coordinate something with the Kusanagi on that end. Two, the Kochikaze have some ties with the Kingdom of Mercure, which has the most vampires on Chroma; Makoto might be able to find something helpful for himself down there if he looks hard enough."

Touko: "Then that's settled. I'll send him a message on it later tonight."

Hiro: "So who else do you have in mind? Cause I know you're not the type to be satisfied with just one lifeline in a situation like this..."
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Sudden Meeting

Postby Zanaikin » Wed May 06, 2009 3:07 am

[ Start of Operation Spieluhr ][ viewtopic.php?f=69&t=939&p=14228#p14228 ]

"Sector five checked and clear, no hostiles. Team delta proceeding to sector seven."

Having entered the target area nearly ten minutes ago, the 3rd Recon company broke into nine teams - six of them moved into the complex, two patrolled the perimeter for external threats, and the ninth covering company command as well as the Arvitor's mage squad, stationed just outside the entrance to the east.

The commander of the operation, Major Gevorki, paced besides the rear hatch of his Parcerny command carrier, where a holographic map of the teams' progress was projected. He wasn't pleased with the operation at all, and had already told the teams to step up their alertness for enemy ambushes... twice.

Any more and he'll start to look paranoid. Not a good thing.

Major Gevorki: "Quiet, TOO quiet, and I don't like this, something is simply not right. This base has clearly been maintained properly, but only one squad on watch and not a single defender anywhere else in the compound? The facilities here warrant at least two platoons!"

Captain Zhang: "Maybe they've simply been recalled. They are gathering their troops from everywhere, and an outpost this far south is hardly a priority."

Major Gevorki: "Maybe so, but I rather not place my bets on it. This may be out of the way, but it's one of the few fortifications covering southern Tsutsui. Most of their heavy units are up north, thus had we attacked south they've have needed every gun available."

Captain Zhang: "Either way, I believe we're almost finished sweeping. They've already lost their best opportunity to spring an ambush."

Major Gevorki: "Unless they're waiting for us to let down our guard at the last moment... we'll know in within another minute or so I guess. In the meantime..."

"Movement at the eastern perimeter! I repeat, unknowns at the eastern perimeter! Watch your backs command!"

The command unit was currently on the eastern side of the compound. Team nine quickly redeployed into a defensive formation facing eastwards, scanning the trees and shrubs around them. But there was no one in sight. The darkness may be hindering normal sight but even nightvision wasn't picking up anything.

"AHHHH!!!!"

A lieutenant let out a painful yell as an arrow flew out of the darkness and straight into his eye, which then exploded, blowing apart a third of his skull and spraying the air with blood...

Sergeant: "GUARD MODE!"

The elite infantry of the 3rd adjusted their shields with a split second's notice, and the dozen arrows that followed after the first bounced off their shields harmlessly. It wasn't something they could keep up, but if it could buy enough time for them to identify their targets...

"CHARGE THEM!!!" (Chromian)

A single battle cry triggered a host of shouts and yells as the enemy rushed out from the foliage. Whatever they did, thermal vision proved useless at picking them out, and infrared as well as light amplification failed to notice them until they charged out from behind cover and darkness into open ground.

"FOR OUR KINSMEN!!!" (Chromian)

Savages, barbarians. That was the only way to describe them. They had no organized uniform, merely an assortment of leather and steel armor decorated by furs and hides. It was like something of centuries past. There were only twenty or thirty of them, but even at a distance, one could tell from their confident stride that each and every one of them was a skilled veteran.

Major Gevorki was bewildered for a split second. They were in Tsutsui right now, and even if these are tribal member angry at their passage of the Tsuchimikado forest they could not have arrived so quickly on foot. It was unlikely that these were enemies of the Terran Imperium. But when faced with those glowing incarnum-instilled blades, he had no time to hesitate.

Major Gevorki: "LIFT OFF!"

"NO STOP!!!"

There was no time to react as Gevorki and a dozen others slammed their heads straight into an invisible barrier at sevearl Gs of acceleration as a wall of force suddenly sprang into place above them. Several others managed to reach the skies above without problems, but no one else wanted to try playing their chances at headbutting the force wall.

A wall of plasmic fire erupted as the front row hurled out a volley of grenades, which seemed to have little effect as the foes rushed through the flames and crashed into the Imperial grenadiers. Plasma swords met incarnum-charged steel as a melee quickly erupted between the two sides. While the Imperials were in a slight bit of confusion, the setting of their shields to Guard mode gave them a momentary advantage, and a young, recently graduated corporal at the front called upon the 3rd's soldiers to regain their footing.

"REFORM THE LINE! HOLD THEM BACK!"

...and with a bit of quick thinking paralleling that of Major Gevorki, whom was currently trying to clear his vision through the blinding pain, the corporal broadcasted another line, but through the locals' language using Tongues' spell translation.

"...CALL BACK THE UNITS ATTACKING THE TSUTSUI!!!"

In just a second, it seemed as if the movement had been swept under for a number of the enemies. They were still swinging their swords, but their murderous focus, their killing intent, had halved instantly.

Yet, mistaking the rally cry for a commander's, the enemy captain launched a sudden attack against the young corporal, and the mighty swing of the blade was barely blocked in time. As the Chromian pushed the locked blades back against the Imperial, he proudly announced himself as if following a tradition warriors' code.

"I am Kurenai Akisada, First Guardian of the Sagami Clan!! If you know any shame as a warrior you shall return my people that you so cowardly taken back to us!"

"Corporal Alex Kobayashi of the Terran Imperium Legion, and I have no clue what you're blabbering about!!!"

Akisada: "Well then, shall I make you renounce your sins!"

With a surge of strength, Akisada pushed Alex' blade back and followed up with a powerful horizontal slash, which was blocked by the electromagnetic shields but its sheer force hurled back the Imperial a few steps. Meanwhile to Alex' left and right, the grenadiers of the Imperium held their ground against their martially superior foes as they shielded the mage squad and the command half-squad who slowly stepped back while trading spells and counters against the enemy casters.

Meanwhile, Major Gevorki finished regaining his footing and shook his head, still rubbing the swelling the resulted from the impact with force barriers.

Major Gevorki: "We need to buy some time stop this massive misunderstanding. Viviane! raise barriers between both units! Xing! form a second line of defense for the Arvitor! All grenadiers prepare to disengage and put as much distance in between as possible on my call!"
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Dunes of Mohara I

Postby Zanaikin » Tue May 12, 2009 6:50 pm

[ During Operation Spieluhr ][ viewtopic.php?f=69&t=939&p=14264#p14251 ]

"We have finished refueling your units, Sir. Is there anything else you require."

Segarum Faerskor sat up straight on the chair and opened his eyes. It was unfair, he thought, that simply because he was born a gnome he would spend his entire life being looked down upon. The dwarves of Delral being taller was bad enough, and now he has to deal with these humans. This person he's talking to couldn't be ranked higher than an Ensign, yet his eyes were bearing down upon the gnome at such a sharp angle...

He inhaled deeply, best not to overthink it. It was not these poor souls' fault that the creator gave them such inefficient (but tall) bodies.

Segarum: "No, that would be all. My men and I will depart within the next hour once we finish catching our rest. Send my thanks to your commander for his hospitality."

The ensign spoke one last line and saluted before heading off. Segarum didn't pay much heed to it. It wasn't important anyways, and he rather not expend brainpower on translating the humans' language to his native gnomish if he didn't have to. Linguistics was definitely not one of his strong points.

Segarum walked back to the guest quarters where most of his proud Seventh Squadron still slept. They had been in emergency response mode since those so-called Imperials entered orbit, and then flew several hours at reduced speed, straight from northern Faerskor to eastern Mohara. It seems they managed to make most of the route without being detected, thanks to their greatly reduced atmospheric speed and Wave Absorption Field Generators. But he can't confirm that, and they still had some distance to cover before meeting up with their allies in Tsutsui.

Segarum wasn't sure why command asked his Seventh Squadron to join this attack against the Imperium. They were the most prestigious and best equipped of all Faerskor units, especially after the loss of three entire wings of Incarnum Juggernauts in the orbital battle. Better to let Mohara and Tsutsui rush in, blooding their noses and collecting information for the rest of us. But as far as his wildcard personality goes he wasn't going to reject a direct order from General Gaerras himself. So here he is, still on his way towards the battlefield, merely pulled over for a temporary rest stop, refueling and revitalizing at this hidden underground base.

Well, if he's going to fight, at least he can make it cool and enjoyable. After all, it would be his first engagement against a real foe, and he was itching to test all his mock combat and simulator prowess in real battle.

Just as Segarum turned the last corner, the hallway lighting turned red. Alarm sounded throughout the base, and the intercomm began broadcasting.

"This is Base Commander Koushiro. Hostiles have been spotted in our air coverage region. I repeat, hostile spotted over our region. All pilots man your fighters and prepare to launch! This is not a drill! I repeat, all pilots man your fighters and prepare to launch! This is not a drill!"

Segarum rushed to the nearby communications panel and made a priority call directly to the command center.

Segarum: "What's going on?"

The communication officer looked reluctant for a moment. He looked to the side, obviously requesting permission from his higher ups, before releasing the information to the gnome. They may be age long allies, but the military still kept its dose of caution and paranoia.

Communication Officer: "We detected a large force of airborne vehicles bearing Imperial energy signatures to the southwest! The enemy is heading towards task group 6, currently en route towards Tsutsui. Orders from regional command are to engage the enemy and provide support to the Sky Cruisers."

Segarum: "I understand. Tell Commander Koushiro that my squadron will launch after your fighters and give you a hand against these Imperials. If we're going to spring a surprise on them we might as well make it a good one."

The communication officer passed the message, and a moment later the commander himself appeared on the screen.

Commander Koushiro: "Thank you, Colonel Segarum. Your support will be a great boost of morale, not to mention firepower, to my jocks and their airskimmers."

Segarum saluted and turned back down the hallway. But he didn't need to make a single step. The pilots, gunners, and engineers of his squadron had already assembled behind him. They were still looking a bit drowsy, but nevertheless eager to prove themselves as the best of the Faerskor forces.

Over the centuries, the Faerskor military units have adapted many traditions from their more militant dwarven cousins. One of them was the fact that the more significant the military situation, the less they spoke. Wordiness was considered unnecessary and gaudy in such serious moments.

Segarum looks up and down his comrades, and said only one line:

"Let's make this cool."
|

()

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Information”