[9/30/2141] CK-1: Assassins & Nukes

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

[9/30/2141] CK-1: Assassins & Nukes

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 pm

It's just past midnight. By the clock, a new 'day' as already started, even if it sure doesn't feel like it. It is a time when the troops are either already asleep or getting there, unless they were on watch, like that squad of patrolling troopers that just marched past the corridor a few minutes ago. Ivan however, was still in his office working on the post-action reports and analyzing the combat data, and as long as he's here, his two bodyguards in the hallway wouldn't be able to get any sleep either.

Ivan leaned back in his chair and yawned. At least the implants allow him to work in his mind, without having to hunch over a desk, otherwise his back would be killing him right now...

Then he felt his nerves tingle, the type you get when a wave of cold air suddenly washes over. Except, there were no sudden changes in the conditions of the room. None that he could sense, which meant - that was a magical effect, probably an aura of kind...

...Then a second later, a sharp pain exploded from his chest. He glanced down, and a thin blade glowing with silvery light was sticking out of his torso - he had been stabbed from behind. If he didn't shift in his seat from the strange sensation he felt earlier, that blade would have went straight through his heart.

There wasn't even the slightest hint of movement or sound from behind Ivan even a split second ago. As a matter of fact, there wasn't the slightest indication that someone entered the room, even the windows and doors remain sealed, not to mention the base is suppose to be lockdown'd. But that truth can't be ignored - a voice, barely audible but cold enough to freeze the air, resounded from behind - "Allow me to congratulate you for your victory, commander."

[ Damage: 66 norm, 39 precision, 2 strength ]
[ Required: Will save vs. fear, Fortitude save vs. poison ]
[ Also - please post all your daily buffs and their DDCs in the following post - a dispel went through with the attack ]

[ rnd-by-rnd action of course, don't forget to post AC ]
[ Hint: here's a good place to use the AP you didn't touch last battle - and you don't want to fall to that poison ]
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Re: [9/30/2141] Night Occurance

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:55 am

(Daily Buffs: Empowered Greater Mage Armor, DDC: 23)

Will Save: Uncanny Bravery
Fortitude Save: 37 (including AP boost)

Ivan leaps to his feat, pausing only to shout "GUARDS!" before he begins his incantations (cast defensively). Setting his shields to Guard Mode, he casts a Shaped Antimagic Field, while Flammenmeer casts Indomitability and Greater Deflection.

Ivan also readies to cast a second Greater Deflection after the first is expended, and then burn an AP to cast a third if there is another attack after that.

Auras active: Defensive Commander
AC: 27 (36 if Mage Armor stays up)
Touch AC: 24 (33 if Mage Armor stays up)
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:31 am

[ Ivan feels a bit woozy, but manages to stay up and awake ... ]
[ Greater Mage Armor dispelled ]

As you look around, you notice that he was wearing the uniform of an Imperial soldier, and although he forsook the weapons he brought with him a number of the other components, including the EMS-penetrating resonance generator... luckily, the next few seconds proved he either didn't realize its significance or didn't know how to use it...

The assassin then made a quick feint that distracted Ivan while he somersaulted over Ivan and landed atop the table, before launching into a flurry of attacks with his Katana...

( Attack 1: Hit - 1st Deflection Guard )
( Attack 2: Hit - 2nd Deflection Guard )
( Attack 3: Hit - 3rd Deflection Guard )
( Attack 4: Hit - 30 damage )

At the sound of Ivan's yells and the clash of swords, the two guards outside quickly opened the door, and then began rushing in while drawing out their plasma blades. One of them also sent out a broadcast alert that began resounding across the entire base...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 am

Ivan swivels rapidly to face his enemy, falling into a defensive stance as he draws out his own sword, casting Wraithstrike as he does so. Flammenmeer ignites with plasma and casts an Empowered True Strike as Ivan initiates a Shadow Blade Technique.

(Combat Expertise to full, sword at normal size)

Attack: 53 touch (31 damage, 24 fire)

AC: 49
Touch AC: 46
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Round 3

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:29 am

The assassin parries the attack away while launching a counter-attack with the same swing ( miss )

He then stepped back and bounced down to the other side of the table (out of 5' reach), before his arms launch into another set of attacks with his katana at surprising reach...

( Attack 1: hit - 47 dmg on EMS)
( Attack 2: hit - 45 dmg on EMS )
( Attack 3: miss )
( Attack 4: miss )

seething at Ivan's defenses and glancing at the guards who rushed in, the assassin then takes his left hand off his main weapon and pulls out a kukri...

The two grenadiers charged at him. One of them scored a hit, cutting into the left shoulder. Yet even as the assassin grunted in pain, he took no heed of his own defense. Instead, he launched two counter-attacks, one with each blade at hand, towards each soldier. All four strikes homed in on their vitals, and within seconds both soldiers collapsed, presumably dead.
[ DM: dam, four crit-sneak-attacks in a row ]

[ Starting next round, make Constitution checks every round due to lack of air... ]
Ivan also notices that he's having more trouble than expected holding his breath due to the injuries suffered by his lungs from earlier (DCs increased).
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:40 am

Ivan steps forward, magically enhancing his attacks as he does so, before unleashing a flurry of strikes.

(Wraithstrike, True Strike from Flammenmeer, activate Melee Commander, 5-foot step forward, initiate Flashing Sun)

Attacks (all touch):
63 (48 + 26 fire)
42 (28 + 21 fire)
33 (36 + 20 fire)
30 (39 + 15 fire)

AC: 37
Touch AC: 34

(I thought you could hold your breath for double your con score in rounds before needing to make checks? Check is 23 this round though)
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Round 4

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm

( What's this? let's picker with the DM because we have a better image of the room than he does? You have failed massively in visualizing the size of office desks... hell I've never even had a work desk that small anywhere except the school. Whatever, I'll just consider all your attacks after the first one null. )
( apparently holding breath is only 1 rnd when you're taking combat actions rather than just moving about. )

[ take 15 damage to EMS for moving around the desk ]

The assassin parries Ivan's blade and redirects it into the desk, causing the desk's center to collapse as it smashes in. The plasma sheath further scorching it along with several miscellaneous items on top. He then retaliates with both blades:
[ Attack 1: hit - 40 damage to EMS ]
[ Attack 2: hit - 31 damage to EMS ]

With the guards dead, the assassin twirls and resheathes his kukri. Then, seizing his katana with both hands, launches another set of strikes at full power against Ivan.
[ Attack 1: hit - 82 damage to EMS ]
[ Attack 2: hit - 78 damage to EMS ]
[ Attack 3: hit - 85 damage to EMS ]
[ Attack 4: hit - 85 damage to EMS ]
Finally, bringing his blade overhead he launches a final attack (my math tells me this overwhelms your EMS shielding and triggers your Indomitability)
[ Attack 5: hit - 130 norm, +104 precision damage, +2 strength damage ]
[ Your AMF is dispelled at its source ]
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Ivan takes a Withdraw action, moving back out the room and down the hallway outside to the right. As he does so, Flammenmeer casts Major Image, projecting the image of a squad of Assault Magi taking up defensive positions just behind the fleeing Colonel. Each individual in the illusory squad appears to have a Mirror Image spell active, and Flammenmeer concentrates on the image to make sure struck images disappear just as a Mirror Image spell would.

Ivan and Flammenmeer both ready to use Greater Deflect if attacked (obviously breaking the sword's concentration on the image), and Ivan readies to use an AP for a third Deflect if necessary.

Combat Expertise set to full.

Constitution Check: 17

AC: 43
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm

As Ivan withdraws out of his room, he notices that the assassin starts following him into the hallway.

(If you wish to change anything about your action, please do so. Whether you change your action or not, please post a reply to acknowledge... )

( very nice attempt though )
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Flammenmeer, seeing that they are being followed, switches the illusion created. Instead of a squad of Magi, the hall is filled for over 100 feet with hundreds of exact duplicates of Ivan. Most move erratically through the area, some stand still pressed against the wall, while other begin to flee down side passages and out of sight. As the image appears, Ivan dodges left and right, moving through over a dozen illusory doubles and changing direction several times.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Round 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 am

Ivan's currently still stuck within the horde of illusory copies of himself, although he was nearing one of the edges. He's not sure if he's still being followed, but he lost sight of the assassin a few seconds ago while ducking three several mirages in a row...

( brilliance to rival blackbog, I must say ... )
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:34 am

Ivan ducks down a side corridor, fleeing at top speed and trying to take as many turns as possible as quickly as possible. Flammenmeer continues to concentrate on the illusion for as long as it is able to.

Both continue to ready Greater Deflect spells in case the assassin finds them, but Ivan sets his shields back to normal mode (should remain in Guard Mode until the start of my next action).

Con Check: 20 (AP boosted)

AC: 43
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Round 6 and on...

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:11 am

As Ivan continues to flee, after nearly half a minute it seems like he has lost the assassin. Then, as he rounded the corner to a first level corridor, over a dozen sets of plasma rifles suddenly turned and pointed at him - an entire platoon had rushed in from the outside and were busy advancing towards the stairs. The Lieutenant in command yelled for identification, and Ivan quickly responded by sending his ID via implant to all of the soldiers, secured ID that would be very hard to fake without dissecting him and seizing his implants without killing him. Acknowledging Ivan's identity, the Lieutenant ordered two squads to stay behind while the other three turned the corner and surged up the stairs. One of those remaining was a healer, who immediately began casting healing spells upon Ivan's bloody wounds...

At the same time, a massive explosion was heard from the center of the base. Chatter from the comm. channels was still chaotic, but it seems someone had bombed and damaged (if not disabled) the 77th's command landship. A few seconds later, a series of explosions also resounded from upstairs, around the area of Ivan's office...
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 am

A minute later, while Ivan's still resting...

Suddenly, the base's command center sent out a message to the commanders: The base network's firewall was under cyber attack from unknown sources. The first two of the base network's ten defense lines were quickly penetrated by the initial hacking.

Even before the message finished...

( This message is sent out to command level personnel of both brigades and the knight-squadron commanders )

"This is Liliane from the Berezina. We have detected twelve ICBMs (Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles) currently heading towards Kochikaze along six vectors of approach. I repeat, we have twelve ICBMs on route towards Kochikaze. We did not detect their launch, although our calculations make it that they're from separate missile sites within the Delral & Faerskor mountain regions. Most of them appear to be heading towards base CK-1, although we cannot be certain of their targets, nor do we have any idea of the payload, but it's likely they're carrying nuclear warheads! I repeat..."
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:28 am

Comm Message to Liliane:
Rodger that. Knight-Dispatcher Rothwyn here. We seem to to be dealing with a bit of a hacking problem down here. I'm no computer expert, but I'd guess they're probably trying to take our weapon systems offline, and are fighting their way through our firewalls. I don't suppose... you can help us with that? For that matter, do you know what comm-number Lieutenant Zanaikan is listed under?
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Actions”