Action Discussions

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Action Discussions

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Thread to compile general action discussions NOT made in character. If it's an in character post, this is the wrong place.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Re: Action Discussions

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Anyhow, I need you guys to start coming up with a landing location now =P.

Furthermore, I should not that currently the default option is to blow aside the orbital defenses and land the troops, as intel projects there's no way the Delral/Faerskor is stupid enough to allow Imperial troops to simply land on the planet (what else could they be doing there...). However, that would also mean formally declaring war against the most powerful clan on Chroma from the very start... unless you guys have a better proposal.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 pm

I know I have probably no part in this discussion, but should it be assumed that the orbital defenses have 100% planetary coverage? Or are there exploitable gaps in surveillance coverage/weapons platforms?
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:43 am

the combination of all of the platforms have 100% missile envelop coverage around the planet, and there's no real reason to destroy only some of them, you can't "partially declare war" on someone after all.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Before I start putting information together on Asakura and Tsuitsui (as you guys hinted me they're your next targets), please make the following to determine how much understanding you can get from the raw data you collect after landing:

Knowledge[ military/tactics ], Knowledge[ nobility/politics ], Knowledge[ business/economics ]
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Alright, based on the response, I'd say that our AP riddled proposal went well. Though, as Dai and I discussed, the stressing of the military point seems to have worried them a bit. I'd say it would be save to assume that we conferred with Judson's character before heading down to the planet, thereby giving him as an excuse to weigh in on that matter. Anyway, here are my thoughts.

1. To be honest, the logistical aspects of fortifications and garrisons are really above my pay grade. Though, from what I can tell, it does to be a fairly unrealistic proposition. After all, they must realize with this proposal that there is some risk of of attack, and that if they manage to bypass one of our military bases, the enemy will most likely come blasting into the nearby city on presumption it is garrisoned. I perfectly understand the desire to not have their people be drafted, and I'm sure we could find incentives to draw volunteers anyway. After all, there will probably be a significant portion of the freed slaves who will want to take up arms or aid in the military projects for the sake of rescuing their brothers and sisters.

Sense Motive 70: Did the Kochikazes seem particularly adamant about this, or does there appear to be room for negotiations?

2. No problems with this. Any restrictions we place on them we place on ourselves.

3. Investing in their agriculture will help everyone in the long run. After all, we do have 100,000,000 credits to spend on such projects. We'll have to an estimate, but I imagine optimizing their agriculture will be manageable.

4. I see no problems with this. Not that I expect us to have to pull out, but they do have a right to be able to defend themselves. Though, out of curiosity, do we have an estimate on the size of their armed forces?

Thoughts?

Also: Checks for Asakura and Tsuitsui:
Knowledge (Politics): 1d20+28(check bonus)+4(aura)+30(Empowered Divine Insight)= 78
Knowledge (Business/Economics): 1d20+22(check bonus)+4(aura)+30(Empowered Divine Insight)= 62
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:14 pm

They are particularly adamant about the drafting/such, probably have more room to negotiate on the maneuvering.

Note you can contact Judson by implant, it has communication functions and works better than cellphones (as you can imagine).

A few tips:
[ Knowledge(tactics) 25 ]: For the most part, modern cities aren't fortified, thus making a permanent military garrison rather pointless outside of security, and civilian builds don't offer much defensive value until they're reduced to half-rubble with only the sturdy construction remaining and less random junk that might crush troops from a shell blast.
[ Knowledge(politics) 30 ]: By and most the Imperium doesn't garrison cities for two reasons. The unwanted civilian casualties in case war breaks out is obvious. The other is because military presence within cities often have undesired problems with local security/law-enforcement units. There are obviously a few exceptions to this because the cities themselves are military targets even if they're not garrisoned, such as Capital City Astraeus or Transportation Center Trias.

Their formal armed forces estimates of about 3 Sky Cruisers (somewhat old too), 3 Assault Transports, and about 1 Chromian Brigade (~3200) of powered infantry. This is an abnormally small military force for a territory. Although they do have stockpiled equipment and reserves to form about 20,000 light infantry.

Suggestions from the DM-NPC (Gadar):
As for one, higher ups probably won't care and it probably won't affect long-term military distribution, as it's doubtful any of Kochikaze's cities will be important enough to get fortified. Heck, the entire region isn't important or defensible enough for a heavy long-term garrison. So this decision mostly only impact short-term military decisions while we're campaigning on the planet (especially before we get somewhere better to relocate to).
Number four, while logical, also allows them to retain the most power. The set date of expiration is the good news, but it be better to put a numerical cap on things.
|

()

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Knowledge (Tactics): 75 (10roll+53bonus+4aura+8AP) (I'm assuming that me and Gabriel are going over the info together so I can get the benefit of his aura)
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:49 pm

Judson, do you have any problems with the "no drafting" policy?

Active Characters:

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I mean, the Imperium already has a no-drafting policy, and our army now is all volunteers. I'm sure we'll make do.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:10 pm

I just thought about something :

If the entire (1) counterproposal is deemed above the pay grade, while not make it duration-limited like (4) is... probably say until Unification of the planet is complete and proper representation of the planet's population is achieved, and any decisions beyond that point will be decided by the Imperial Senate instead.

Also, everyone make an INT check (for hidden DM calculations :9)
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Int check: 1d20+5=19

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Int: 9+2=11
Know[politics] 19+26=45
Know[business] 11+2=13
Know[tactics] 11+2=13

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:12 am

Int Check: 11 + 7 = 18
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:19 pm

also, two questions:
1. Drew: Since when did Empowered Divine Insight grant +30, I'm missing something here. Last I checked it was x1.5 <_<.
2. For future, I'll remind myself to post [complex] when I ask for a skill check. This means it's a long and complicated process and - no single-use boosters (e.g. Divine Insight), and only buffs with duration span in the hours count. Just so you know, that +30 won't count this time either.
|

()

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Actions”