Lenneth Planning

Anything game related or even semi-connected

Moderator: Zanaikin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Lenneth Planning

Postby TheDude51 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:00 am

This is a thread for semi-out-of-character planning for the operation to extract Lenneth. It can be assumed that this discussion is taking place in a series of meetings and conversations starting directly after the first failed extraction attempt and continuing to the present.

The current idea seems to be to create an illusion of a large, mobile enemy force that would require Lenneth's cavalry to be deployed in order to counter it. Warg or Winter Wolf riding goblins are a suitable enemy, but their presence so deep inside Misalenian territory could be somewhat suspicious. If Norinth has a class of mobile light cavalry equivalents or raiders, the appearance of such a force along with Imperium troops would also work well.

Dmitri would probably be the one to execute this, along with whatever NPCs are able to cast the needed illusion spells. Spells I can currently think of to use include Major Image, Persistent Image, and Programmed Image. Suggestions for additional spells are welcome.

I would also like to know how much influence our faction has among the various scouting units that are employed around that area. If there are enough scouts we could include in our plan, the need for illusions could potentially be removed entirely. Instead, we could arrange so that all scouts in the correct area at the appropriate time are loyal to us, and have them report the presence of a suitable enemy force. Input on the feasibility of such a plan would be appreciated.

Anyone who has a completely separate idea should also post it, or just general thoughts on the operation.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lenneth Planning

Postby Laharl » Sun May 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Well...probably as a last resort, we can always tell Lenneth 'Pick a time and a place and we'll meet you there with a teleportation circle.' She would then pass it down the chain through trustworthy officers over the course of some time period (a week?) and at whatever time, they'd just sprint out, and because they're cavalry, even the mages would have difficulty catching them in numbers. Yes, there would be a solid PR hit for this, especially since there would probably need to be some fighting. Yes, it means we can only get cavalry and whatever infantry/mages they can get to ride double. But it would probably work.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Sun May 18, 2008 4:02 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 pm

The main problem I see is that Major Image and its derivatives can't move beyond the one 10ft cube per level area that they appear in, which means that our "enemy force" will just kinda be sitting there. If we had enough casters, we could potentially cast it several times in succession, moving across one images area and then beginning again on the next image in line. This would require a rather large number of spell slots to make a force of any decent size, as would be required for Lenneth to justify deploying her heavy cavalry.

I was wondering if the warmage company that we brought from Trelling, or any other arcane casters present, would be able to participate in projecting the images. Each mage participating should be able to cast Major Image, Overland Flight, and Invisibility. Invisibility is, potentially, not even needed, since the mages without it could simply fly inside the images of the worg riders.

Another problem would be if Misalenian skirmishers try to engage the illusions in combat. This could probably be avoided by firing illusionary spells and attacks at them, making sure to miss so that they do not get the saving throw for "interacting" with the spell.

Once Lenneth's force deployed, we would want to put up an illusion of a pitched battle to cover their departing through a teleportation circle that Dmitri would cast. Ideally we would also employ some form of defense against scrying and other divinations.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Tue May 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Wouldn't Veil be a better use of illusion? It does mean we'd need actual troops, but it lets us disguise a whole bunch of them, as it's only a 6th level spell.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Ideally I would like to keep the number of people that have to teleport out to a minimum, and adding in a Veil'ed contingent would make extraction that much more complicated. If the we can't get enough Major Image casters, we'll go with the Veil.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 am

Kilar tell you that sadly, the warmage department in the paladin academy does not teach illusion spells. Arcane casting is a bit rare in Misalin, and warmages are mostly trained only for filling in the role of field artillery. This means that utility arcane casting is especially rare amongst us, particularly in term of large numbers. Even for the arcane casting capables, illusion is hardly a forte amongst Misalinians (divination & transmutation being where the jobs & money at). As a result, I'd estimate competence mages who are capable of holding illusions for a decent amount of time will number less than a dozen, that's with myself (Kilar) included.

Defense against scrying and divination is pretty much a must-have.

Veil would indeed work much better, except if we try to veil we'd have to utility our own heavy cavalry in an attempt to simulate the worg's speed. However, attempting to use veil to disguise our troops as something significantly smaller than they are (worgs are small vs. heavy warhorse's large, same with their riders, disguise as a different size has really high DC) is no simple matter. Let's not even get into the fact heavy cavalry simply don't sound like worgs. Their gallop is far too distinguishable.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat May 24, 2008 6:32 pm

something I thought up of, I guess Kilar will be taking the credit for this:

While Image spells must stay within a certain area, they also lasts a little longer even after the caster ceasing concentration. Therefore what we could do to simulate moving cavalry is to have the image areas overlap to certain extent, and when the images are almost out of their set area, cast a new illusion spell to overlap with the old one before the old one times out. Of course, this will require some careful coordination of images, backed up with serious mental concentration, not to mention it will consume a prodigious amount of magical power. But, I believe it'll be doable. After all, it's not like worg cavalry gallops across countryside... they still move at a standard pace when not rushing up to engage, and we could always make it look like a company of them are taking a break.

Given the amount of magic it requires to maintain something like this, we need to optimize the timing of execution. The best method would be to figure out the details of patrols in the area... but as we already cleared that seems to be a bad idea. The other option however, it to locate patrols in the area ourselves (Locate Creature spell), tail them, preferably under cover of superior invisibility, and coordinate our efforts that way. Once we ensure they discover our images, then we could stop the phantom worgs in a specific area and set it up to look like they're taking a break. Hopefully Lenneth can taking her cavalry out into the field before they get suspicious.
|

()

Return to “Random Discussions”