Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Military Strategies

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Okay, I'm making another modification to the Battlemaster:
--reducing its CL down to 15. CR15 creature with CL22 - hell no. Obviously this'll lower the power of its buffs and other spells.
--I figure Battlemasters have absolutely no need for Combat Expertise / Improved - not exactly fitting for them to fight defensively. So I'm allowing the players some choice regarding their own troops - what feats to replace it with.
Currently I'm leaning towards Empowered Spell-like Ability for at least one of them (exact spell to select? decent options: Mass Resist Energy (+50% resist), Expeditious Movement (+40ft more speed), or Dimension Door (longer teleports)).
Thoughts?
Links to the sheet (not necessarily newest ver.) can be found in my 'Maps' link in sig.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Empower Spell-Like Ability on Dimension Door gets my vote. More maneuverability can only help us at this stage.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Regarding strategy on assaulting the orc lair - I'd like to get you guys' plans finalized by tonight please.
( and I'll also be deciding on the battlemaster feats, so if there's any other suggestions to toss about, now would be the time ).
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:24 am

My suggestion for strategy would be to use to the air entrance to our advantage by turning it into a chokepoint. For the sake of simplicity (and because the work week has left my brain to drained to type 18 paragraphs of unfiltered strategy), I'm going to make this quick.

Goal: Complete elimination of enemy forces.

Basic Idea: To use the elements of panic and confusion to draw the bulk of our enemies elite troops into a battle near the air entrance to the lair, while the bulk of their warriors are tied up engaging the battlemasters in the tunnels. Shortly after the battlemasters engage the enemy in the tunnels, the command squad and about 5 squads of crusaders will make a faint surgical strike into the ariel entrance, not a full engagement, just enough to draw them out. Waiting for those who chase us out will be the remaining crusaders and mages, who will proceed to blast them. The retribution will be stationed nearby to help convince them to fly out should it be required, and her two dropships will aid the skirmishers in keeping an eye on the surrounding area.

Exit Strategy: Dropships will pick up skirmisher companies, while the command squad and any present members of the captain's company will act a rearguard for retreating crusaders and magi. Battlemasters will withdraw to the point where we teleported them in, and will be teleported out under the protection of the command squad and compliment.

Troops needed:
150 Crusaders
50 Mages
50 Skirmishers
Retribution
900 Battlemasters (split into 3 groups)

Phase 0: All forces into position. Retribution will remain cloaked until engaged.
Phase 1: Battlemasters engage enemy in tunnels.
Phase 2: Command Squad, crusaders, and mages will move towards the ariel entrance, and, if in range, begin to engage any enemies within the vicinity.
Phase 3: Mage and crusaders groups will take position as the command squad and compliments move to coerce the enemy to engagement.
Phase 3.5: In the instance that the enemy is already airborne and mobilized (which, given the scenario, is likely) , the command squad and compliments will move to engage 'said forces while the remaining forces will use a combination of spells and glyphic grenades to create a field of hindering magical effects (walls of "x", solid fog, etc) to slow the advance of more enemies. In this way, enemies prepared to handle such hinderances will be separated from their less "buffed" troops and will be easier to take down.
Phase 4: Victory/Defeat

Notes:
Based on what we've learned from previous battles will the Fensdwellers using the battlemasters, they are extremely effective, but also have a tendency to cause high civilian casualties. This is unfortunate, but not easily remedied. Battlemasters will be instructed to attack only threatening targets, but there does not seem to be much that can be done.
In the event that potential threats are detected by the skirmishers, the nearest dropship will move in to pick of the party (ies) that are closest to the "threat". Actual to reaction to 'said threat will have to be determined at the time.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Also figure out where you're drawing each of your forces from...
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:39 pm

Crusaders: 50 from each our our three companies.
Skirmishers: 30 from the only company.
Warmagi: The single, half-strength company we possess.
Battlemasters: For the sake of simplicity, 1000 shall be pulled from Thatal Keep. They will be split into 3 groups, and 100 shall be held in reserve.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:24 pm

I really hate to double post, but, seriously, make your comments now, or lets get this shit rollin'.

Active Characters:

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Sounds good to me.
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:18 pm

The plan looks solid.

The only issue I have is whether 1000 battlemasters will be enough. Kovis used 4,000 to assault a lair of similar size, and still suffered 10% casualties. 1000 may not be enough to shatter the orc defenses as decisively as we would like, and such a force could conceivably be repulsed by a determined defense by the orc clans.

We'll also have to make sure to deploy the aerial assault force correctly. The hidering spells especially will be completely useless if they are not cast directly onto the entry to the lair.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 pm

That's true, Kovis did have considerably more. Let's change the number to 4000 then, with 1000 in reserve. We know the orc chieftan of this lair to be considerably potent.

Active Characters:

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:10 am

Sounds good. If no one has any objections, I think we're ready to proceed as soon as there is time available.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:50 am

Battlemaster Grenadier Squad:

20 Battlemasters, each with 5 METAAC Grenades. One Rod of Greater Chaining required per three squads.

Prior to the battle, they are stationed near either Jens or a high-level Airindale mage. As the battle starts, they are covered with a Chained Superior Invisibility and the squads are spread across the battle line.

When a METAAC squad attacks the line, the Grenadiers spread out and approach within striking distance hidden by their Invisibility, using METAAC grenades while staying mobile and spread out until the targets are disabled.

Cost Per Squad:
35,100*20*5*(1/10)*(1/2)+(1/3)*(121,500) = 216,000gp per squad

I realize this is expensive, but we have tens of millions of gp in our war chest and they aren't doing any good just sitting there. I would recommend that we equip and train (program?) at least 5 squads, possibly as many as a dozen, before our first major battle.

Also, i'd like to distribute a large number of Disintegration grenades to our battle line forces so that they can quickly and efficiently deal with vehicles that they can reach.

(See "Samael's Research" thread for descriptions of the item. Cost takes into accound discounts from mass production and the cost of buying one greater rod of metamagic, Chain, for every three squads to put up the Superior Invisibility. A high-level mage will need to supply the spell slot.)
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Map of Norinth finished :

http://zanaikin.major-arcana.org/upload ... orinth.jpg

The circles are cities (obviously). Norinth has only six cities (west-to-east): Starfell, Fairwinter, Trias, Aurora, Fimbulrift, Borea

The triangles are noncity fortifications.
Longstanding : Trias Pass, Tower of Shadows
Imperial Bases (organized by its unit number) : 22A, 22B, 22C, 36A, 36B, 36C, 77A, 77B, 38, N1A, N1B, N2A, N2B, Crimson
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Alright folks, here's the deal. Between my internship and my transfer applications, I do not have enough brain power to be the only source for tactical planning in this party (honorable mention goes to Judson for already posting). From now on, Derovarr will post two responses in tactical meetings for every one that another member from the party posts, at maximum.

I'm sorry if this slows things down, but I'm just too damned busy.

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Random Discussions”