Anything game related or even semi-connected

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Military Strategies

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 24, 2007 6:20 pm

For those of you who haven't realized (I can't imagine who), this game plays heavily on high level military warfare, and by high-level I don't mean class levels, but as in the scale of conflict and involvement. You guys are not aiming to be just the random band of adventurers or mercenaries who was hired by the government to provide fire support or insertion strikes. You guys are commanders and elite troops who are expected to plan out battles and lead troops into combat.

As the campaign goes on, I plan on going down the direction of less planning provided from me and more planning done by the players themselves. It is the path of all military commanders climbing the chain of command, as they rise through the ranks they have to rely more and more on their own decision making skills and less on that of superiors.

Two members of the party I know are heavy RTS gamers (Marty & Drew), and a few others have played some hardcore Strategy games (Squall & Scott I know have), so this will be a topic all of you have touched at least somewhat in the past, whether you realize it or not.

This will be a place for you guys to plan and discuss attack strategies, as well as a place for me to give you some links to sites with good advice.

LINKS:
--The first site I want to drop. I've always been a huge fan of ancient Chinese military strategy, which was formally written out before that of most other cultures. Most of you know "The Art of War" which is the more famous one, however the one that was MUCH MORE widely used in war was the "Thirty-Six Strategies". The following is just a basic english translation and summary of it, read it and wipe that idea of glorified warfare from your mind, for warfare at its finest is anything BUT honorable.
- Written back before the days of a real 'China' when East Asia was still filled with warring states.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 24, 2007 6:53 pm

your mission for blackbog is a simple one, infiltrate and hunt down their leaders, the regroup and begin taking down their troop groups one by one.

You'll be getting there by air, however the Sky Galleons will stop and land some distance from the Keep itself to keep from being detected. Afterwards the strike groups formed between Kati & Cary will move in. You'll be provided with a particular piece of equipment: a staff with permanent silence effect around itself (can be activated /deactivated) and can cast Silent metamagic'd Invisibility). You'll also have a rough map of the Keep, as information has been gathered on the Keep by Misalinians for a long time. Although you won't know some of the exact details as well as troop positions within, not to mention some details may be subject to more recent changes.

The strike groups need to remain small to prevent detection, but at the same time have sufficient members to make sure you can take down the enemy's top level combatants, so use your judgment on the possibility of picking up more than just PCs.

At the same time, the two Sky Galleons will be carrying additional assault forces that will be thrown at the keep once the strike groups have confirmed success of their first phase of attack. These troops will be responsible for launching a direct attack on the Keep from outside. It would be a good idea to organize as many air capable troops as possible, but at the same time keep in mind the infantry is needed to claim defenses - not something cavalry is good at for they have to dismount, not to mention aerial cavaliers are a rarity. Your limit is a maximum of one hundred troops, so plan out who and what you want to bring.

Keep in mind that the second phase of the attack involves more of driving out the enemy army, not eliminating them. Our numbers will be far less than that of the opposition, so you'll need to try as many tricks as possible to break their morale.

EDIT:
your enemy will compose of around five thousand goblins, plus remnants of orcish, ogre, troll, and worg rider units. You can expect a decent number of remaining draconic sorcerers, as well as numerous tribal leaders and their elite guardsmen. While most of the leaders of the wasteland orcs, ogres, and trolls lead their troops into combat and died with them, the chieftains for the various goblin clans are still remaining.

While divination cannot confirm if Romish Deadeye, the leader of the enemy forces is still within the Keep, at least one of his top Lieutenants will be there even if he is not. The Deadeyes are a green draconic orc clan specializing in enchantment so this is a factor to watch out for.

common troop types of the Misalin Guard (excluding the militia, which you don't need for this):
Heavy Cavaliers - heavily armored ground cavalry
Aerial Cavaliers - pegasi-riding heavily armored air cavalry, the remaining air cavaliers number less than two dozen, so you would be hard-pressed to get these.
Elite Longbows - self-explanatory
Elite Skirmishers - these guys can fight well on anything, however their lack of armor means they fall quickly if overwhelmed in heavy combat.
Elite Crusaders - members of the paladin order who prefers fighting alongside the infantry. Many veteran crusaders are also marshals experienced in field command.
Warmages - self-explanatory, not to mention the advanced tactical spell warmages who work in squads.
War-wizard - while not professional troops and their blasting abilities are far from that of the warmages, these wizards are capable of providing arcane booster spells & utility spells.
Field Cleric - clerics employed by the Guard as healers, these are professional combatants and specialize in buffing/healing.
Church Priest - while not as good as their Guard counterparts in combat, these priests have just as much spells and are more capable at inspiring the troops.
Creationist - Clerics or archivists who have artificer levels and can provide universal spell support with their scrolls.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 pm

(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Sat May 26, 2007 2:05 pm

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat May 26, 2007 2:26 pm

Squall255
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:31 pm

(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat May 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sat May 26, 2007 5:32 pm

[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat May 26, 2007 6:27 pm

Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat May 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat May 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Last edited by Zanaikin on Sat May 26, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat May 26, 2007 8:34 pm

|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat May 26, 2007 10:18 pm

Ok, your goods:

an infiltrator staff

Sticky Signs/Posters (Post-its): 50 Explosive Runes (read triggered), 20 Symbol of Insanity (pass triggered)

Mines: 20 Greater Spellglyph (Firebrand) Disks

Scrolls: 2 heal, 1 revivify, 1 antimagic field

Potions (Each): 2 invisibility, 3 cure serious, 1 heal, 1 restoration
|

()

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sat May 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Okay, we need Telepathic bond too. For the entire group this time. Because that Silence prevents verbal communication, and we dont know Drow Sign Language.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Sun May 27, 2007 12:03 am

Fear not, I picked up telepathic bond just recently.

And those symbols of insanity are gonna be fuuun. Remember what happened to the Sapphire Guard, now.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Return to “Random Discussions”