Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Military Strategies

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 pm

On second maybe I'll just hang back.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:36 pm

( for the battle, the party's granted supplies include: )

6x: +1 Distance Ironwood Shortspears, which releases Lucent Lance (CL 15) on impact but destroys spear ( see viewtopic.php?f=3&t=674&start=180#p10890 )
5x: Symbols of Insanity

( any other supplies you'll have to pay for yourself =P, the party's certainly rich enough now and shouldn't need to rely upon the organization's lack of funds )
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:53 pm

updated Battlemasters a bit:

( http://zanaikin.major-arcana.org/upload ... ter-15.doc )

gave it a nerf (reduced Empowered Transformation perm to regular Transformation... figured the level 8 1rnd/lvl permabuff was way too crazy).
raised it to CR15... no way lvl14s can take this on. This might get boosted further... I think it'd require a lvl16 who REALLY knows what he's doing to take this on.
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:56 pm

How many of these things are there (that we know of)?

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 pm

40 regiments ( 40,000 total ), this will make up the mainstay of the 'Battle Line' forces that'll be given to the Misalinians to take charge of ( more info when meeting gets updated... whenever I get time for that long writing ).
They were originally going to be controlled by assault mage NONCOMs scattered within the ranks, but the Airindalians figured out a more efficient way of doing this by patching command directly through the telecomm network.
|

()

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Tactics for the Orc Raid Lair

What forces will we bring?
What broad strategy will we employ?
What specific tactics will we use?

We will hold as much of this planning as possible with Kovis there, given that he has already assaulted an orc tribal lair, and thus has firsthand experience with this type of battle.

Which forces to bring?
Our golem armored Heavy Crusader Companies are the obvious choice for the underground close combat inside the lair itself. Battlemasters, if available, have also proved devastating in such close quarters. It would probably be best to not use our heavy cavalry inside the lair itself, as the cramped quarters of the tunnels would prevent their charges, and there would be numerous opportunities for the Orcs to ambush them.

This seems like an appropriate task to use Kovis' Fens harrying force for, since this is a strong Fens target of exactly the type that we want to neutralize, so using his battlemaster force would be reasonable. I don't think it would be appropriate to bring more Battlemasters out of Airindale to pursue a mission that is largely secondary to the main campaign though.

I'm not sure how useful the Sky Galleons can be in this case, given the underground nature of the conflict. However, if the dragons attempt to fly away once the ground battle goes badly, the Sky Galleons could supplement the force used to engage them. I'm not sure how useful they would be, given that they are more focused on destroying large numbers of less mobile ground troops, rather than engaging fast, tough aerial enemies. Thoughts on this would be welcome.

What broad strategy?
The first question that I see is whether to leave the orcs an entrance through which to retreat.

Attacking fewer tunnels would allow us to concentrate our forces for a more powerful blow, hopefully decimating the forces that we engage before the rest of the orc units can respond. This tactic leaves us open to a flanking attack if the orcs manage to hold the tunnels long enough to bring another force around to our rear. Being trapped between two orc forces in their tunnels would be disastrous, although given the speed at which Kovis blitzed through the orc defenses this is probably unlikely. This approach also allows the orcs to potentially retreat in good order, keeping their clan intact as a fighting force.

Cutting off all avenues of retreat would ensure that we would wipe out the orcs if we are victorious. Although this means that there is no chance the orcs will be able to retreat and reform to threaten us again, it also means that our forces will most likely end up slaughtering the vast majority of orc civilians.

Unless we have reason to believe that this lair is significantly different from the other one, I don't see a reason to alter Kovis' successful tactic, although if we suspected that this tribe has a good knowledge of what happened at the other lair we might want to alter our tactics.

The command group could perform one of several roles.
1. We could lead the tunnel assault. Having Derovarr and Samael at the forefront of the crusaders would allow us to tear through any opposition they threw at us, and would likely reduce casualties among the troops thanks to our ability to absorb punishment. This approach has several disadvantages. Most party members would be out of their element: Jens and Teodor would be reduced in ability in a cramped space, although both are still very capable in such a situation, Ulrich would have almost no one to heal due to the fact that everyone is wearing golem armor, and Klaus would be nearly useless, unable to line up a shot. Further, the command squad would be tied down in vicious tunnel fighting, less able to direct the battle and unable to act as a reserve or interception force. If we go this route, I see us completely obliterating the orc forces in the tunnels, but the dragons and characters will most likely escape, and its possible that the orcs could pull a fast one, outflank us somehow, and inflict heavy losses. I would only recommend this if we don't believe we are able to defeat the orc tunnel forces otherwise.

2. We could act just like Kovis did in his assault on the orc lair. Hang back, most likely with aerial cavalry and possibly the Sky Galleons, directing the battle via telepathy. If the dragons try to retreat through the air, we cut them off and destroy them. This has the advantage of being the least risky option, and allows us the flexibility to change our plan as the battle evolves. If we are confident that our tunnel forces will defeat the orcs, this allows us to consolidate our victory by killing the dragons also. It does have disadvantages however. If the dragons disable their lockdown and teleport away, we've wasted the entire battle sitting around on our Sky Galleons doing nothing. Also, it seems unlikely that we would be able to catch the orc chieftain this way. There is also the issue that Teodor is not sure whether there are still dragons accompanying the clans. A lack of dragons for us to fight would lead to the same result as the enemy leaders teleporting away. However, if we are reasonably confident that the orcs cannot lower the lockdown in a timely manner, this could be our best bet.

Also, we could split the command group into two squads, Derovarr's and Kovis', and could thus perform two roles.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Squall255
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:50 am

My suggestion: From an RP point of view leaving them an opening to get civilians out is the best option. We're making a statement, and neutralizing a threat, not slaughtering innocents. We should split the command squad, with Derrovar in the tunnels at least. His punishment absorbtion and front line leadership fit his style. Ulrich, Jens, and Klaus at least can hang back providing Telepathic Relay between Derrovar and other squads. That way we can look out for escaping dragons, and prevent any chance they have at a flanking maneuver. Not sure what to do with Teodor. Probably send him ahead with Derrovar to act as a map maker. Samael and Kovis could also lead raids through some of the other entrances. Golem armor units sound good. I'm a little iffy on the battlemasters. Maybe send some in for our first charge, then use them to line the tunnels as Derrovar and the Golem armor press forward? Also, No cavalry sounds like a solid plan. MAYBE bring one squad to help us take care of escaping dragons, but that might be overkill.

There's my first reaction to the proposed tactics.
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:28 am

A few thoughts:
1. The blue draconic lair you're assaulting is nowhere near Kovis' current force disposition. You'll need to open teleportation circles to send his full army over, lest you wish to separate his units while in middle of Fens (not a good idea).
2. Kovis tells you some of the tunnels they came up across are just big enough for one humanoid, or for two humanoids to fit by side-to-side... meaning you can't even fit Golem Armor through it. Chances are none of the major passageways are like that, but obviously from an efficiency point of view - there isn't a point to making tunnels wider (and spending that much more work for it) if the expected traffic is low.
3. If you're confident, attacking through the air entrance (directly into the dragon's den) may not be a bad idea, although you'll be limited to air units and... one hell of a fight will erupt.
|

()

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 am

My first reaction: Either we send in three, yes three, forces, or we send in one overwhelming force designed to punch through to the chieftain and kill him while another powerful force (maybe two?) waits outside at the other two entrances to deal with anything escaping out the back entrances, which are half a mile from the main entrance. This does leave the dragon-sized entrance open, but if the dragon's running cause we show up, telepathic bond + anybody outside can probably kill it.

I agree cavalry is useless underground, but they'd be useful at chasing down anybody that gets out. Teodor is also personally quite willing to just unleash the battlemasters into the den, it's all the mercy the orcs would show us.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:31 am

Before we get to far ahead of ourselves, lets not presume that the battle will simply be the task of taking out the Chieftain. We don't really know who else is in there. So, lets not base all of our strategic options on the assumption that the battle will be over once he falls. For all we know, there could a whole company of Imperium in their waiting for us. Unlikely, but if persistent raids have taught us anything, its not to expect that the mission will always be a simple in and out.

Plan forthcoming.

Active Characters:

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:10 am

I would like to send Battlemasters and Heavy Crusaders through all entrances at once, leaving the trade entrance for the orcs to retreat through. Its length should prevent any effective flanking maneuver. The heavy cavalry can be stationed nearish to that exit to mop up retreating orcs. If the Crusaders accompany the Battlemasters when they reach civilian areas, they should be able to direct them precisely enough to prevent wholesale slaughter.

Question: Can golem armored crusaders fight along side Battlemasters, or will they get confused?

I would like to try bombarding the air exit with the Sky Galleon Rune Cannons to (hopefully) weaken anyone in that area before we go in. I would like at least some kind of information on what exactly the orcs have in there before just charging right in. I don't want to stumble into a nest of Great Wyrms and epic draconic mages. Some scouting of the aerial entrance would be nice to discover the layout, identify good target areas, and estimate the strength/number of the dragon(s) in residence.

EDIT: I personally would LOVE to have a company, or regiment, of Imperials in there waiting for us. Crammed into tight tunnels without firing lanes and unable maintain mobility, the Imperials would be easy prey for the battlemasters.

Just sayin'
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:56 pm

The Imperials speciality is precision attacks and high mobility. What makes you think that they would be waiting inside? Also, I was highly advise against cramming golem armored heavy crusaders into narrow tunnels. Suppose the enemy collapses their tunnels in an act of desperation. Golem armor does not come equipped with life support.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:04 pm

|

()

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm

I believe he's asking whether the aura will penetrate the magic immunity conferred by the Golem Armor.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Return to “Random Discussions”