Encounter 1

Dave's running 4E!
Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Encounter 1

Postby Laharl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:18 pm

Welcome to the adventure, everyone! You've all been hired by Marla, a young cleric of Pelor who lives in Driscol, to go and investigate something she saw a year ago: a group of death cultists heading for the village of Winterhaven. She's found out that their leader is named Kalarel and she'd like you to stamp out the cult if possible. You're now on the road to Winterhaven.

The wind in your face is cool and comfortable and the road beneath your feet is level. An occasional ancient cobblestone pokes up through the dirt, indicating ages of neglect. You notice footprints throughout the road, many made by small, clawed feet.

Roll initiative!

A: Aderik
H: Heskahn
G: Gennal

Light green is regular grass, the brown is a path. The dark green is foliage, difficult terrain with normal cover. The gray is clumps of boulders, 5' high (DC15 Athletics to climb, difficult terrain), and they give concealment.

In your first post, introduce your character (brief description, character's thoughts while walking, that sort of thing).

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Encounter 1

Postby Squall255 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:18 am

Heskahn is a proud Bronze colored Dragonborn, working under loyal service to his patron, the Dragon King Bahamut. He stands with a regal stance, with his heels slightly raised off the ground, and his weight on his toes. His walk is more of a series of small leaps, as though he were trying to take of, but forgot that he was not blessed with the wings of his ancestors (or not yet anyway, for Bahamut is generous to his faithful). He wields a mighty Glaive, weapon of the mighty Dragoons, the knights and protectors of dragonkind that legends are made of. He hopes that he is able to rise in skill and devotion, and eventually be able to call himself a true Dragoon, and earn the wings of his ancestors.

Initiative:7
Guess i should have put more points into Dex as opposed to Backstory and RP elements :P
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:15 am

Gennal Darkholme (no realation to the Darkholme for Brooke's game) is a half-elf raised by a group of wandering Shadar-Kai (yes, I can get away with this since Shadar-Kai are technically human). He keeps his black beard short, in the form of a goatee, and his black hair is closely cropped (sorta like Mirror Spock: http://www.gregs-mom.com/evil/evil%20spock.jpg). He developed the combat skills of an elf, but also the strange eldritch powers from his other side. As he walks, his hands stay near the warhammers on his belt, wary that cultists or their minions may attack at any moment.

(Initiative: 21 (rolled a 19))
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:05 am

Aderik is a reserved, though, resolute dwarf who stands a bit taller than most of kin, but is just as stout. Aderik, like most of of those with Ravenheart blood is quiet, reserved, and intuitive. He's not a master of tactics, but he usually knows when to strike, and when to stand down. The Ravenheart Clan stands out as a bit of an oddity amongst most dwarven clans, in that they worship the Raven Queen almost exclusively. Aderik, being no exception to the norm of his clan, has been longing since a very young age to prove himself as a guardian of destiny, in the hopes that he may day, one day, return triumphantly to his Clanhold, and be granted the highest rank a Ravenheart can ever be given; Sacred Keeper of the Natural Order.

Upon hearing that there might be cultists of the necrotic arts in the nearby area, Aderik insisted that he and his friends take the job, and investigate the matter.

(Initiative: 15)
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:01 am

Now that all the PCs have introduced themselves, let's get going with this!

Initiative Order:
Gennal
Aderik
Monsters
Heskahn

No changes to the map, so Marty and Drew, take your turns! Doesn't matter to me if you guys post out of turn, as this is likely to boil down to [PCs] and [Monsters] acting in two clump units.

While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:12 am

Gennal stops and looks at the tracks.
(Knowledge (Nature) check to ID: 25)

"Hold up, kobold tracks here."

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:26 am

"Are they recent?" Aderik responded, pulling out his warhammer and looking about up the path. (Perception 20 (minor success))
"There's something out there. Everyone be on your guard!"

Active Characters:

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:51 am

The kobolds burst out of hiding with a rain of javelins and slingstones, one javelin strikes Gennal, scraping his shoulder for 4 damage. Heskahn is also hit, scraping his armor, also for 4 damage. Aderik, however, is hit with a sticky substance one of the other kobolds threw at it. He is stuck fast (immobilized, save ends, 8 damage).

New Map:

Everyone, gogogogo!

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support

Postby Squall255 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Heskahn's voice catches in his throat as he tries to shout "IT'S A TRAP!" and then moves, divine challenges G6 then charges to get to I11, attacking the kobold in J11 with a chop from his Glaive.

Attack:
Damage:

(G6 takes a -2 to attacks, and takes 6 Radiant damage the first time he makes an attack that doesn't include me until the start of my next turn)
Last edited by Squall255 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:32 pm

The kobold Heskahn strikes is sliced in two by his sword.

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:22 am

Gennal calls upon his shadar-kai heritage and gathers up a blast of eldritch power before firing it at the kobold that appears to be in charge.
(Eldritch Blasting kobold skirmisher in square G6)
Attack Roll vs Reflex:
Damage Roll:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:25 am

(What kind of save?)

Active Characters:

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:34 pm

The kobold is smacked around by Gennal's blast, but is still healthy.

Drew: 'save' in 4e means 1d20, DC 10.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:32 am

"Blasted stuff! Get it off me!" (save: 11)

Active Characters:

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Doh!

Hokay, so here's the update. The kobolds swarm Heskahn, poking at him with their spears. Two of them connect (you're damn lucky this guy was a minion, one of these was a crit), stabbing the dragonborn in the leg. 8 total damage. The sword-wielding kobolds (D) leap out of hiding and slice Heskahn viciously, easily connecting. Their swords bite deep, dealing 14 damage. The final kobold, the one that threw the goop at Aderik, launches some fire at Heskahn, obeying the paladin's challenge. The stuff connects, burning Heskahn pretty badly. 7 fire damage, 2 ongoing fire (save ends). Heskahn is also marked by the second sword-wielding kobold. Total damage: 29 +2 ongoing. Eric, if you're still standing, I'll rule that you take the damage at the end of your turn, but before you roll the save against it.

Latest map version:

And, everyone, this is why you don't send one character to deal with this many enemies. I realize Aderik was immobilized, but Marty, you should know better than to stay out in the open during an ambush.

Return to “Keep on the Shadowfell”