Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

The Story so far...

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Savage Tides Part 1: The Siege

Rarely was the audience chamber of the Lord’s Castle so filled. There were members from almost every circle present now, and more people were filing in. An heir of paranoia and fear was in the hanging about, as you could already hear the speculative murmurings spreading through the company like wildfire. You and your companions, unlike the vast majority of the people present know exactly what is about to happen.
The furniture in the room has been rearranged into a sort of variant war room format. A large circular table (one that actually had to be moved from a separate manner) dominates the center of the room. Upon it sits several charts and various woodcarvings of ships and soldiers placed in various positions. Most important of all, is the single shadow pearl that you recovered from the attack on Farshore. Though cracked and worthless now, you know bloody well better than to doubt its power: some of you more than others.
Around this central table sits the Lord Mayor, the Watch leaders, and a representative from each of the major houses of nobles. Beyond the table are row after row of chairs. In the inner circles, are various guild members, city officials, and, of course, you and your companions. Beyond that, the rows begin to feature more officials and representatives, their level of importance lessening by how far they are away from the center. Eventually the chairs stop, and standing behind them are the numerous attendants and pages of the lords and officials, not to mention representatives from the Chronicle.
As soon as all of the central table members are seated and ready, the Lord Mayor stands up, and clears his voice, an officious beckoning for all in the room to be silent: the chamber falls as quite at a graveyard.
“In accordance with the Sasserine Legal Code, a formal meeting has herein been called to begin preparation for an incoming attack force.” Innumerable gasps are heard throughout the room, but the Lord Mayor continues undaunted.
“As preposterous as it sounds, the information given to us by a locally based adventuring party has nonetheless proved true. The pirates known as the Crimson fleet are, indeed, sailing towards Sasserine as we speak. Now. It is important that remain as clear-headed as possible during this meeting. I understand that there will be great panic that shall ensue from this news. As a result, all watches henceforth until the attack has subsided have been tripled. I now turn your attention to Lieutenant Balgaron, leader of the Cudgel district watch, who will give us some general information on the enemy attack force, as well as our capabilities.”
The Lord Mayor sits down, signaling to Lt. Balgaron that it is his time to speak. For good reason, Balgaron wouldn’t have stood up otherwise. Truly a man of the military, in the 67 years of Balgaron’s military career, he’s fought over two dozen major battles; some on land, and some on sea; some victories, some of them losses. The military hierarchy is thoroughly engrained in his mind.
Lt. Baldaron stands bolt upright, allowing his scared visage to be illuminated by the noonday sun. He takes a moment to survey the crowd before beginning. His voice is loud, much like a trumpet, and it resonates throughout the room.
“As our Lord Mayor has pointed out, the Crimson fleet is on its way. So, it is in our best interest to begin preparations immediately. Given our current estimates, we believe the fleet will arrive in approximately 7 days. I am aware that this is a small amount of time, but we will simply have to make do. As per standard procedure, and with the Lord’s permission, we are now conscripting all citizens who are capable of bearing arms. We realize that this is a small amount of times to train warriors, but we really have no choice. In addition, all members of the citizenry and the nobility who are unable to fight are to be evacuated from the city: effective immediately. Those of you in the back should echo this statement to all of your friends and family.”
“With the Lord’s permission, I request that we keep the exact details of our forces a secret until a general tactics meeting can be called.”
“Granted.” Responded the Lord Mayor.
“Thank you, furthermore, I now ask that we yield the floor to Captain Demetrius, Sasserine Representative of the Golden Dolphins pirate hunters. I believe his scouts have acquired tactical data that would useful.”
“Granted.”
On cue, a tall, and uncannily charismatic man dressed like a privateer stood up from the inner circle, and began to speak in voice that, literally, commanded attention from the chamber.
“Friends, countrymen, Lords. As Lt Balgaron so officiously put it, there is in fact, an enemy fleet on its way. It is only after completing the rather intensive scouting missions some of our Golden Dolphins, that I am able to give you all the information I have today. The fleet is that of notorious Crimson Fleet, and it is the largest fleet they have ever sailed under in their history. In total, over two-dozen ships sail under their banner, and there is no doubt that they are heading in this direction. Furthermore, scouts report that this fleet not only has an underwater strike-force of Sahaugin mercenaries, but also has a full wing (10) of wyvern riders. Let there be no doubts that the enemy has not come to merely sack us, but to destroy us as well.
“However, we are not without allies and tricks of our own. Yet, such things are not for an open forum such as this, and, thus, I request that the tactical data that I have be reserved for the tactics meeting that will take place later.”
“Granted.”
“Thank you, that is all I have to say.”
“Very well,” the Lord Mayor responded once again, rising. “Now that we have had some preliminary briefing, we will answer a few select questions…”



Later than evening, you and your companions would find yourselves once again in the chamber, but this time the scenery would be far different. Instead of a massive crowd eagerly looking towards the center, the group was much smaller now. Present were the Lord Mayor, Lt. Balgaron, Captain Demetrius, Captain Vale (leader of the Champion watch), Lux Seoni, and a few other officials, and your companions. The two Watch leaders are busy bickering about tactical notes regarding city defenses, while Captain Demetrius looks on, occasionally pointing out discrepancies and errors. Lux Seoni is at the other end of the table, inspecting the cracked shadow pearl with her father Ziros Seoni (who returned when he was sent word there was trouble in his home town). Standing against every pillar and near every entrance in the room are the Lord Mayor’s Vanguard, the best of the best in terms of security in Sasserine, or so he claims.
After a few more minutes of this, there is a knock at the door, followed by “Lord Mayor, Silene of Shadowshore has requested entrance.”
“Granted.” Returned the Mayor, giving a nod to the two door guards, who promptly opened the door. A brief moment of silence followed, ending with the sound of soft footsteps growing closer and closer. Eventually, the form of a tall, slender eleven female, dressed like a rogue, emerged from the shadow of the hallway, and an awkward beat followed. Both Balgaron and Vale gave her a rather nasty stare, while Demetrius barely acknowledged her. The Lord Mayor, on the other hand, looked quite pleased.
“Ah, Silene, so good of you to join us.” He remarked, grinning widely.
“Indeed, my Lord.”
“I trust your trip here was well?”
“You may my usual walk from Shadowshore?”
“What other walk would I mean?”
“As pleasant as always, my Lord.” She responded, not bothering to hide her disinterest, which was obvious to the rest of the room, save for the Lord Mayor.
“Perhaps you’d like a drin-“
“With all do respect, my Liege, we do have a defense to plan.” interrupted Balgaron, who had little patience for the Mayors, tendencies.
“Indeed, I’ve no doubt there will be plenty of time for your, other affairs after this one has subsided.” Agreed Seoni, while giving Silene an particularly malicious look.
“Ah yes, to the matter at hand. Proceed, captains.” Responded the Lord Mayor, who was not able yet to drag his gaze away from Silene. It was clear to everyone that the mayor’s mind was not in the room, or that far too much of the his blood had left his brain. Not that he was much of a strategist to begin with. His initial reaction to being informed his city was under attack was to send everything they had at the enemy fleet. It took Balgaron four hours to convince him otherwise, an explanation that he is still recovering from.
After all of those present had gathered once more around the central table, Balgaron proceeded on:

“Ladies and Lords, I’ll be honest now that I’m not within earshot of public, or the chronicle for that matter. The situation is grim. The opposing force is exactly 25 ships strong, and has air support in the form of 10 wyvern riders. The exact composition of the fleet, as per what has been gathered by the Golden Dolphins and other informants is as follows:
10 Pinnacle Class Vessels
10 Dromond Class Vessels
4 Greatships
1 Caravel Class Flagship

In addition, we know that the Crimson Fleet has hired a band of Sahaugin mercenaries to ask as an undersea strike team. To our knowledge, the size of this band of mercenaries is approximately 100. Considering the amount of troops that have been brought to bear, and the space available, we estimate that the attack force could be nearly 3000 strong. How they were able to find so many supplementary warriors is beyond me, but by the virtue of Master Ziros’ scrying powers, we know for a fact that they are literally packed with troops. What kind of soldiers would agree to live in such conditions for a week is beyond me, but those are the facts.
Our defenders, while numerous, are not anywhere as hardened as our opponents. The majority of our combined guard, watch, and arcane forces may number 3500, but most of them haven’t combat experience past a riot or a bar fight, and the Crimson Fleet’s reputation isn’t helping our morale. Luckily, we do have allies. While the majority of the Golden Dolphins are otherwise occupied, two of there ships arrived early in the evening to reinforce the outpost here, bringing our total of committable up 10. Furthermore, by virtue of Demetrius’ contacts, we have contracted the service of a band of Darfellan hunters who are more than willing to be the counter measure to our enemy’s Sahaugin. While only a quarter of their number, Captain Demetrius has assured me that their skill will more than cover for the difference.
Under other circumstances, I would suggest we scuttle a few of our ships to block off entrance to the harbor, but I believe that Captain Demetrius has devised a rather daring maneuver. Thus, I will now yield the floor to him, that he might explain…”
So the night continued, and Captain Demetrius laid out his plan to take all available ships, and sail them away from the city the night before the attack, only to double back during the early morning, and catch the enemy fleet on its Northern flank. The boldness of the plan few wave upon wave of criticism, but the Demetrius remained absolute, as he slowly convinced the nay-sayers one by one to his side. What followed was the usual banter that took place in such discussions: troop deployments, barricades, and contingencies. Eventually the discussion came to a close, and you and your friends were released in time to catch a few hours of sleep before day break, when preparations would officially commence.
Despite the progress made, there was a ever growing tensio around the rift that laid between Silene and most of the others. Silene had already betrayed Sasserine twice to the Crimson Fleet, and yet always come back to Shadowshore to be received with open arms and receive some position that would protect her from prosecution. Most believed that her nature was simply that of a malicious traitor. But others had long realized that she lived a life of convenience, and that if she kept returning, then there must be those in those in the Crimson Fleet who had it out for her to. For, as cutthroat as they are, they’re typically not the kind to forget grudges. This did not, however, make it any easier for the Watch leaders to spit out tactical information in front of her. Yet, there was little they could do, the council of Shadowshore had elected her, and the Lord had approved it.
The next week went by in a blur, as you and your companions worked to ensure the defense of the city was tight as possible. On the second day, a great fleet of merchant vessels arrived from the neighboring town of Calcoa to pick up those who could not bear arms, and spare them a deadly journey through the jungles. On the fifth day, professors from the Arcane Academy, alongside the majority of the Arcanist Guild began to place wards near, in, and around the harbor entrance. On the even of the seventh day, you and your companions left the port of Sasserine aboard the Sea Wyvern as you prepared to set the trap.
Whether you slept in preparation for the battle during the night or in the early morning, you found yourself walking through a familiar vale of shadowy dreamscapes. You’ve had this dream before, and as it continued, your previous encounter with the devastation wrought on by the Crimson Fleet began to play before your eyes…

You are aboard the Sea Wyvern, sailing due west to a small outpost on a miniscule island named Dagger Eye. The day is bright with life, yet in your hearts and minds is not but the dark, brooding determination to exact vengeance upon the Crimson Fleet for the atrocities they had committed the previous day. Two sea elves swim along the ship, leading you towards your destination. Suddenly they pop out of the water, coughing and gagging, because, apparently, the scent of blood is too profound for them to go any further. So, they bid you farewell, and forsake your journey. At first, shock and terror fill your minds, but you are hardened from years of adventure, and these feelings are quickly replaced by an even stronger anger. A flame of fury shoots through your souls…
You are drawn away from the Sea Wyvern, and are now standing on what remains of the docks in Farshore. The battle continues, and the defenders remain vigilant, but it is clear that the Crimson Fleet has left its mark. You rush into battle, and by your efforts, it looks as though the battle is turning in Farshore’s favor. You have a brief encounter with the enemy’s captain, who informs you that you attempt here is futile, and that now there is nothing that can stop Crimson Fleet. Before flying away by virtue of the hideous, yet elegant black wings that expand from her back, she reaches into her pocket and produces a tiny black pearl. She proceeds to smash it in her hand and drop it into a pool of blood and seawater. The pear begins to spout out an acidic smoke, as she disappears in the cloud. Your senses tell you that the magic is powerful, and fear that the result will be deadly. But luck is with you, and one of Farshore’s defenders manages to dispel the effect.
A great explosion of wood and mast as the Sea Wyvern’s rear gun brings down the mast of a Crimson Fleet Pinnacle on the approach to Dagger Eye Isle. You long determined that there would be no distractions. The pirates aboard curse, as Faerlan loads another shot, this one aimed at the water level. BOOM! A direct hit as the pinnacle begins to disappear beneath the waves. Yet, this noise does not do unheard, as alarms begin to sound on Dagger Eye. Undaunted, you press on with the knowledge that you have caught you foes off guard. In a few minutes, the cannon will be within range of the Flagship’s rudder. But your attention has turned to Tanhauser and his father, both whose chakra’s are pulsating with hateful energy. Tanhauser forms a longsword as his father grows a pair of sickly claws.
A savage, primal roar escapes Tanhauser’s father as he looks upon the destruction of his family’s lodge. Completely burnt to the ground, with the maimed bodies of his family lying around it. The attack had been savage, and none were spared. He had insisted that he be brought along, since he was a native of Farshore, and, yet, it is obvious that the sight has wounded his spirit, and his soul. Now only silence, as he cradles his nephew, who was not but a few years old at the time of the attack…
There is a blast of fire, and the group of pirates waiting on the dock for the Sea Wyvern simply vanishes as Rindou flies by. You, your companions, and some of the crew leap over the side of the ship, and begin to surge of the stairs to the barricade on the top level of the island. Bolts and arrows rain down upon you, but most are too furious to notice. A great ballista tries to take you down as you charge up the stairs, but Faerlan’s eyes are too quick, and the warmachine is blasted apart before it even has a chance.
You reach the hastily constructed barricade, some of you leaping over it, others crashing through it. You meet the enemy, and they are taken back by the ferocity of your attack. No quarter is given for or asked, as most of the group proceeds to cut through the Crimson Fleet outpost at an alarmingly fast rate, while Rindou flies overhead, raining hell down upon their support. At one point, a demonic creature climbs over the wall behind the pirates, and they look almost relieved. But you all know that it is the work of an ally, and proceed to catch the pirates in a gruesome pincer between yourselves and the fiend.
In the midst of the chaos, an eruption of fire is seen from one of the watchtowers, launching the pirates who stood around it into the air, and into a fall onto the rocks below. After the smoke clears, you see a strange sight indeed. A humanoid figure silhouetted in smoke, with the eyes, shifting through different colors. The smoke cleared, and standing before you was non other than Alexis Dieter, your childhood friend who was sent away because his parents feared his powers. Why he was here was a question for a different time, the fact was that you had gained an ally in this fight.
It did not take long for the pirates to realize they were overmatched, and what few of them who survived began to make for the last remaining ship that was sailable, the Flagship. There is panic and confusion as the remaining pirates try to cut there way through you to run down to the docks. Some of you let them by, realizing victory is yours, others proceed to cut down all whom cross them. A trail of blood follows them down as they reach the Flagship, not realizing that its rudder has been shot off.
Then there is a laughing, or, rather, a mad cackling heard from within the buildings on the island as the same Captain who you traded words with back in Farshore walks out, holding another one of the pearls which is already spouting the green smoke, severely burning her hand. She cries madly of the power surge that will ensue, and, before you can act the pearl vaporizes (along with her hand) and released a powerful wave of green energy that washes over the island, the docks, the ships, and several miles out.
There is a pause, marked only by her unstoppable laughter, but then, she abruptly stops and begins to choke. A terrible transformation ensues as her form twists into something terrible, a mockery of her formal self. Her spine twists out of her back at a high arch, and her wings bend in to cover the gaps. Her skins turns purple, and her eyes turn green, and she proceeds to howl and wail with maddened rage. Then, all at once, a great piercing collection of howls is emitted from under the island. Your attention is then taken away by the sound of gasping coming from behind you. Tanhauser’s father has fallen to the ground, gasping for air. His chakra’s fail, and pain fills his visage and his body begins to twist. Before the sickness can fully take hold, he grabs his son, and gasps,” Take… ship… RUN!” These are the last words he can manage before his jaw breaks, rendering him speechless.
Terror is replaced by urgency, as the group hears the sound of hundreds of howling creatures rising from the depths of the island. The Crimson Fleet captain rises and lunges at you, but is caught at the heel by Tanhauser’s father, who with chakra’s reformed begins to eviscerate her. But it is not his father, the creature is now something far different, and the fact that he is helping you is probably what tiny fraction of his father’s mind that remains. With some effort you manage to rouse Tanhauser from his stupor and drag him down the steps to the docks. As you begin to sail away, you see the mass of the chaotic beasts almost erupt from the island Rindou flies by, unleashing a few more spells upon the creatures before catching up with the ship. The summoned demon is simply left at the docks to hold off the creatures, and eventually succumbs to their ferocity.
You think the nightmare has ended, but then bump is heard on the back the ship, as what remains of Tanhauser’s father climbs over the stern, threatening to drive its claws into Faerlan, who is too shocked to react. The rest of you resign yourselves to watching the gnome fall by the hand of his own captain when Tanhauser rushes by, screaming at the top of his lunges. The yelling catches the attention of his “father,” as the creature looks up, just as Tanhauser’s blade runs through its heart. There is another pause as the creature looks down, and looks back up. You could have sworn that through its broken face, you saw a feeling of relief, as the creature staggered back, and eventually over the side the of the ship…

“All hands on deck!” Roar’s Captain Demetrius, as you awake once again. After equipping yourself as necessary, you head above deck. A picture of warfare is before you, as parts of Sasserine already burn, and some the Crimson Fleet ships already have begun their decent to a watery grave. The battle has begun…
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Re: The Story so far...

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu May 15, 2008 3:46 pm

Needless to say, panic was in the air, and fleet of 10 ships lead by Captain Demetrius rushed to meet the enemy on its Northern flank. The enemy's plan, meanwhile, what becoming all too apparent. As the Sea Wyvern and company approached, 4 of the enemies pinnacles were facing them. Based on their formation, it appeared that each ship had made a pass by the walls, and it seemed the the Dromonds were to be attempting the same thing. Even from here, the fires from the some of the buildings in Sasserine could be scene, and some of the wall sections looked anywhere from moderately to heavily damaged. Occasionally, large winged figures would bfly through the gaps between the clouds and the billowing smoke. To make matters worse, the enemies four Greatships were beginning to move down the center.

"Warriors! Defenders of Sasserine!" Demetrius bellowed from his spot next to the helm, "The enemy is now before us! To arms comrades! Let the siege be lifted!" He cried, resulting in cheers on the decks of the Sea Wyvern and a few of the closer ships. The cheers continued, however, rolling down the formation of ships like a wave of heroism, as the ships pulled into a wide spacing formation.

It had obviously not taken long for the enemy fleet to spot them, as 7 total of their ships had turned from their previous targets, and began to form up while moving to intercept you. Even now, the bloodcurdling screams of delight that the Crimson Fleet was known for could be heard...

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue May 20, 2008 1:32 am

With a great huff, the crew managed to heave the two vrock's bodies over the side of the ship, while some of the other's fastened Oragi to the main mast. They had decided he needed to be heavily restrained, and somewhere in plain view. Normally, a rogue of such caliber would have little trouble slipping free of such common sailor's knots, but, unfortunately for this one, Faerlan had an extra vial of Drow Sleeper Poision. Meanwhile, Captain Demetrius and company sought to plan out their next action.

Not but a few minutes after they had pulled away from the burning dromond had the fire's spread to where they kept their firebombs. A great explosion blew the ship apart, and severely damaged the hull sections at the waterline of the ship next to is. This blast seemed symbolize defeat for the enemy attack fleet, as the final two ships veered off from line, and began to sail away. The battle had been costly, for only 4 other ships besides the Sea Wyvern survived the confrontation. Yet, their victory here not only shut down the Crimson Fleet in the Northern theatre of battle, but also opened up the rest of the fleet to attack.

Nonetheless, time seemed to be working against you still. Not long after the calm in the battle occurred, Captain Demetrius received a message via magic, that the walls of Sasserine, and it's harbor, had been breached. You soon learned that large crashing sounds you had heard in the direction of the city not minutes before had been the greatships riding the tides of to the walls, and smashing through them. Worse yet, it appears that each of the greatships had been crammed full of what could only be described as hideous beasts; mockeries of normal humanoids. So, even as Demetrius spoke those words, the Sasserine Guard was meeting this horde in earnest.

You all were ready to take the remainder of the fleet back to Sasserine, when a sailor on in rigging spotted the enemy flagship. From what you could tell, it too appeared to be heading for the city, but, given your position, you, and the other ships could easily intercept it. You could send the entirety of your remaining fleet after it, and ensure victory, but that would delay giving aid to embattled Sasserine. On the other hand, the Sea Wyvern could go after it alone, while the rest of the fleet goes directly to port city. This option is dangerous, the enemy flagship is formidable, but if you managed to take it down, the blow to morale might very well swing the tide in your favor. Finally, there is the option taking the entire fleet back to Sasserine, and seeing how it play's out. Tired and battle-weary, Captain Demetrius asks for your opinions (any other crewmen will defer to Tanhauser's response).

So, to recap:

Option 1: Take the entire fleet to intercept the enemy flagship.
Pros: Almost ensured destruction of enemy vessel; Destruction of enemy flagship big boost to morale.
Con: Denies Sasserine the aid it needs so badly.

Option 2: Send all remaining ships to Sasserine, while the Sea Wyvern solos the enemy flagship.
Pros: Gives Sasserine aid; Destruction of enemy flagship big boost to morale.
Con: Enemy flagship is powerful, so mission is incredibly risky.

Option 3: Take entire fleet back to port.
Pro: Reenforcement of Sasserine, in force.
Con: Doesn't deal with enemy flagship.

Response Format
Response
Diplomacy/Bluff/Charisma Check

Side Note: If you roll low, still post your results. Some of you have modifiers that you don't know about.

Active Characters:

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:29 pm

"I say we go with option 2. I've still got enough in me to sink that little boat of theirs!"
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 pm

I say we take our entire fleet to attack the flagship. If we can quickly destroy it, we will be able to attack the enemy assault force from the rear while they try to storm the city, catching them in a pincer movement. If we sink their greatships and attack the enemy from behind, the Crimson Fleet's attack force will be in a very tenuous position.

Bluff Check: 38
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 pm

I have issues with that particular idea: If we take out their ships, they'll all fight to the death on the docks. Do we really have the manpower on land to win that battle?

Nor do I think the Wyvern's crew can handle the flagship alone. Our freshest troops are melee combatants. Namely myself and Tannhauser. We need spellcasters at solid strength to not only counter the inevitable enemy counters but also inflict great damage at long range.

Thus, I think we need to go and support the land battle.

(Diplo 22)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Wed May 21, 2008 1:59 am

Tannhauser listens to the others voice their opinions before throwing in his. "I say that we go with the option not described. Compromise between the three plans. The Wyvern and the other least damage ship will assault the flagship, while the other three ships sail back to Sasserine to aid in the battle against the greatships."

(Straight CHA Check: Nat 20 for a total of 20)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 am

(Drew: Since I can see the enemy flagship, my Detect Ship will allow me to figure out its class/type, course, speed, and time to intercept (allow us to plot the absolute best course for interception), and most important: weaponry. That could help us a lot.)

Faina: Anton, we aren't trying to take our their entire fleet, merely their flagship, their standard of battle, and their nexus of battle command. Their greatships are more than available to pull their troops out, thus we're hardly forcing them into an 'on death ground' situation. I'm not confident either about our ability to engage them by ourselves, and there's too much at risk to gamble everything upon such a chance. However, if we pull the entire fleet away, we take just as much of a risk. Therefore I agree with Tann's idea of a compromise. We take one ship with us, preferably one with less damage and more available armament, while sending the others back towards the city, where combat near the coast will offer them a much greater chance of ship-on-ship boarding.

Diplomacy: 11+17 = 33

(I reserve the right to change my opinion once you provide details on enemy weaponry.)
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu May 22, 2008 2:39 am

((DM's Note: Upon closer examination of the ship description information within Stormwrack, I have determined that I have been incorrectly labeling the enemy warships. There are and never have been any dromonds present. Ships labeled dromond, should have been labeled caravel.))

Enemy Flagship
Caravel Class Warship
Course: Bearing for the port of Sasserine
Speed: 30ft x wind (Will reach the harbor in approximately 10 minutes. Can be intercepted in 6 minutes).
Armaments: 4 light bombards, 1 aft ballista.

Active Characters:

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 pm

I misunderstood the situation, then, my mistake. Under these circumstances, I agree with you and Tannhauser that we should split our fleet.

(24 Diplo, ignore if we're not supposed to actually RP :P)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Though Borleero’s water elemental’s time here was short, it was still able to get the ‘Wyvern moving in the right direction until the Grand Duke could arrive to tow her back to port. On the way back, the crews of either ship were allowed to reflect on the epic battle they had fought as they passed the sites of many a sunken Crimson Fleet ship. Many times were a series of cheers issued, as they watched a ship finally slip below the waves.

The battle had begun with the sun low in the East, and now it was beginning to sink into the West, yet, the day was far from over for most. For as the ‘Wyvern and the ‘Duke sailed on for Sasserine, the great black cloud of smoke that enveloped the city grew ever more apparent. Within the smoke, a powerful orange glow thrived upon the destruction of the city. As they drew closer, it became all to apparent that much, if not all of, the city’s central core had been set a blaze, a fire much to strong to be put out by the mundane means.

As they came within range of the walls, Demetrius was given word to pull around and weigh anchor is the Azure district, for reasons that quickly became apparent. At least a half dozen vessels ha been sunk, and now their jagged splintered remains jutted from the water, effectively cutting off access to the city by ship. Passing by the walls gave the crews a vision of the destruction done. Most of the siege weapons had been either destroyed or burnt, while several Crimson Fleet ships lay crushed upon the rocks before the outer walls. Most of disturbing of all, however, was the Greatship that sat upon the ruins of the outer wall, her bow jutting through and into the interior. Finally, a series of sahuagin bodies, each impaled on a spear, were lined along the rocks near the water. A profound, albeit disturbing tribute to the skill of the Darfellan.

As the two ships passed by the outer walls, the smoke had grown so thick that they could barely see. Only by the lights in the Azure district were they able to find the port. The ships docked, the crews were able to finally step inside their beloved city, well, what they could see of it. It was hard enough to see outside the city, but within, vision had been cut 40 feet, in some places less. Yet all could feel and see at least the faintest glow in the central core of the city.

The rest of the day was defined by a few scattered skirmishes with the fraction of the Crimson Fleet that remained, and several failed attempts to put out the fire in the Merchant District. Though the defenders were able to contain the fiery holocaust, they were not able to put it out, and it continued to burn through the rest of the day, and into the night.

By morning, victory was declared, but a quick survey of the damage made it a shallow one. The Merchant District, the heart of Sasserine’s economy, and the soul of the city’s spirit, was gone. All traces of it burned away, with only a couple of scattered, charred platforms and the few spots of land remaining. It was all too clear to everyone that the enemy saw this (and rightfully so) as their primary target. All of the districts had suffered at least minor to moderate damage, but none were so thoroughly cleansed as the Merchant District had been.
Of the roughly 3500 defenders that answered the call-to-arms, approximately 1200 were in capacity of service by the next day. Many were dead, more were wounded, and a fraction of them had simply collapsed from exhaustion. Of the ten ships that sailed against the Crimson Fleet, four ships (including the Sea Wyvern and the Grand Duke) were still in sailing condition, with another two badly damaged.

Though much was lost, the destruction of their city was not the primary thought shared by the populace, as the refugees from the city began to return from a nearby fort, the thought on everyone’s mind was how vengeance would be taken against the transgressors. Demetrius would later be informed that other Golden Dolphin’s outposts reported attacks by Crimson Fleets ships in almost a dozen other locations that same day. It quickly became clear that Sasserine’s repost had given the fleet a reason for them to return, and, in its current state, the city could not survive another assault.

Yet, before vengeance could be taken, another matter had to be dealt with. Upon Vanthus’ corrupted form, another one of the mysterious Shadow Pearls was found. Obviously, someone needed to find out where and how they were getting these things, for you and your companions knew their potential, all too well…

Commence one week downtime.
DM Note: Use this thread for any RPing, if you feel the need for a brief AIM meet, feel free to ask. But don't feel rushed, it won't be another 3 weeks until we play again >_______>.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:51 am

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:17 am

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:53 am

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Active Characters:

Return to “Savage Tides”