Character Discussion.

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Re: Character Discussion.

Postby TheDude51 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:31 pm

As long as everyone has powerful offense, in-combat healing is not strictly necessary, especially if we are able to heal between combats, which a druid can do quite well.

Right now I'm thinking I'll play either an enchanter or a malconvoker (undecided between arcane and divine flavors of malconvoker), since melee seems to be covered more than adequately. Either of these is good for damage prevention to obviate the need for healing. An enchanter can prevent enemies from attacking, while a malconvoker's summoned creatures can absorb damage.

If any of the party members have a preference either way, let me know.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 01, 2008 8:40 pm

I've never listed enchanters as 'battle heavy' since other than dominate (and feeblemind, which is awesome) itself, a lot of other compulsive spells take penalty to use in combat. and nothing about dominate allows the caster to understand the full extend of the target's abilities (thus you can't utilize them to their full extend). So for pure combat use, I'd say malconvoker is better, but enchanters more than make up for it with their out-of-combat potential.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 pm

after looking @ the setting PDF you've linked two, I got one major worry at mind:
how 'urban' will their campaign be? Will we be spending most of our time within the city or out? because druids don't work so well in cities.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu May 01, 2008 11:24 pm

You'll fight one battle there, and then you'll be off on the prototypical adventuring gig. So, Druid should be fine.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:08 am

Enchanters' in-battle use comes more from disables than compulsions. Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hold Person, Confusion, and, as you said, Feeblemind, among many other spells, effectively remove enemies from the fight and render them easy prey for the rest of the party.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:43 am

What is your policy on Leadership?
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun May 04, 2008 1:44 am

You may take it.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun May 04, 2008 3:50 pm

okay, party organizational means:

Leader (Diplo): Dave or Dai (Dave's likely to have a better raw mod, and Dai has utility spells to back up the checks.)
Tank: Marty, Dave
Scout/Tracker: Dai
Healer: Dave has minor combat healing, Dai only does post-combat healing (and precious little of it) due to druid's Vigor spells and his high mobility
Blaster: Squall, Dai as secondary

current party organization issues:
--We lack healing, this is obvious.
--We currently have 4 mages and 2 tanks. I can hold my own in close-combat (if I actually chose to) but I doubt the other three can. While enchanters has it's use on 'borrowing' a tank, one cannot rely upon circumstantial events.
--more when i think of it
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun May 04, 2008 4:28 pm

You also lack a definitive skill monkey. There will be traps, gentlemen, and there will be traps in times where playing the "Who has the most HP left? game" is not feasible.

At this point, it might even be worth checking if we can get another player to roll up an expert/divine spellcaster combo. *shrug*

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Sun May 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I could always take Leadership and grab, say, a Factotum cohort, if you'll allow Dungeonscape. Barring that, a cleric/rogue/(are there any real rog/clr prcs besides Temple Raider of Olidammara and Black Flame Zealot? I know the FRCS one, but we can't use that book) would work in a pinch too.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sun May 04, 2008 4:50 pm

I wouldnt even call Temple Raider a Clr/Rogue PRC. It has no spellcasting prereq and its spellcasting has no cure spells either. The issue with Black Flame Zealot is you have to be nongood, burn a feat on EWP, and even then its 1/2 caster progression. I would also like to throw Chameleon into the mix. Yeah, you wont have double aptitude yet, but you don't have to go into it as a rogue because Stealth Focus gives you Trapfinding and bonuses to key Rogue skills.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 pm

To clarify, me having a "borrowed" tank, as you put it, is not a situational event. Dominate Person has a duration of "one day / level", so i'll have multiple minions around at all times.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sun May 04, 2008 6:58 pm

I can fill in as a rogue quite easily (trapfinding and all), it just requires 1 hour to reshape my soulmelds, X rounds to do whatever needs to be done, and another hour to reshape my soulmelds back to combat ones. one hour can be negated if i feel like using my only daily use of Rapid Meldshaping (I dont get a second use until level 11).

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Edited characters a bit, fixed a few mistakes with cohort.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Sun May 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Ka-update! Okay, previous idea wont work since to get trapfinding i have to chakra bind to hands. Sooo...if i drop Wormtail Belt (lowering AC by 2), drop bluesteel bracers (lowering everyones initiative by 2 and my damage by 3), rearrange my feats to take Split Chakra for Hands at level 9...I can get Theft Gloves which will give me a +8 bonus to Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand, give me Trapfinding, and let me make said checks untrained (but i will rearrange my skills to get some cross class ranks in it anyway.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Savage Tides”