Nation Building Rules

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Nation Building Rules

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:05 pm

The Player Character: Your character in the War of Lords Campaign Setting will be the ruler of your territory. When the game begins, you will play this character, and only this character, unless for some reason we decide that you get a to play as two nations/factions.
Starting ECL: 15
Stat Generation: Modified Elite Array (17, 16, 15, 13, 12, 10)
Starting Gear: 450,000gp (you’re the ruler, you get the goods)

The People of this Great Nation…: Your subjects, your servants, and your generals. You will be expected to design the majority of these. Once I’ve got the setting together, and I’ve seen the finalized designs for your nation, I’ll probably throw in a few major NPCs and some forces before we finalize things.

Advisers: Typically, most of your advisers (which you will have regardless of government structure, will be older than you, and probably around the same level. Though military characters will tend to be higher level. Regardless of whatever kind of character you build, your chances of the being the highest CR character is pretty much nothing. The creation of Advisers is a heavily honor based system, so if I feel you’re taking advantage of it, then I hit you with the DM audit stick.

Epic Advisers: You will get at most one or two, and, for the most part, I will design them (unless I just choose one of your pre-designed ones and tell you to just level it up).

Initial Holdings: Each character will begin the game with a territory that spans 7,000 - 13,000 square miles, and with a population of up to roughly 50,000 to 70,000 (you can go a little higher or lower). The majority of your people with no doubt will in larger cities, while the rest will live out agricultural existences in small farming communities.

Militarization: The amount soldiers you start with will depend heavily on the culture of your people. Some societies are simply more militaristic than others. In general, at least 5 - 10% of your starting population should be considered trained military and/or conscriptable peasants.

Things I will need from you:

Basic Concept: Think of it as an abstract. Just a few lines that give a good overall description of your people.

General Population Statistics: Population, Races present within, Cultures, National Religion(s), Imports and Exports, Natural Resources.

(Ideal) Geography: While its true that I can pretty much pinpoint your country's location based on your description you have an idea in mind as well.

Governmental Structure: Despotism, Monarchy, Tribal Rule, etc...

Economic Structure: Capitalism (monetary), Trade based, etc...

Important Persons: Should include your ruler, your advisers, and other persons who are influential figures.

Cultural Desciption/Evolution: This can wait for now since I'm still in the concept/design stages. But, eventually, I will want to know where your national identity came from, and where it is today.

Military Organization:
Write me up a tactical doctrine that will tell me how your troops make war upon the enemy. It can be a five paragraph essay or a few bullet points, as long as it comes with a simple phrase that gives me the general idea (EX: The Dwarves of Clanhold X focus on a tight center supported by more maneuverable flanks). Also, be sure to include how your troops are organized (see Heros of Battle for information).

Average* CR for Soldiers:
Regulars: 2-4
Officers: 3-5
Commanders: 7-9

*Depending your location, culture, and relative age of your nation, these averages may be lower or higher.

When you are designing your militaries, please give the class levels of your soldier types You may also inclue common maneuvers and feats if you wish. EX:
[Nation] Archers
Martial Schools: Storm Falcon, White Raven
Regulars (ACR 3): Fighters, Swordsages, Fighters/Swordsages
Officers (ACR 5): Fighters, Fighter/Swordsages, Marshals, Marshal/Fighters
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Re: Nation Building Rules

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:05 pm

The general rule of thumb to remember when building a nation is this: The more you put into it, the more you will be rewarded. Think writing up logistics and cultural stuff is hard for one nation? Try 20-30.

Keep this in my especially when you're writing up tactical organization and doctrine. The easier you make it for me, the more efficient your commanders will be over all.

Now, this is not to say that I will be deliberately penalizing anyone who doesn't write up a tactical doctrine, as I understand that sort of thing is not everyone's cup o' tea. Though I will stress that the more time you invest in this game, the more you will get out of it. It's far more gratifying to watch a civilization grow and thrive if you're spent a lot of time designing then it is to watch one that you've barely touched and basically let the DM run for you.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “War of Lords”