General Questsion/Updates

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

General Questsion/Updates

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:04 am

:!: The Game will feature Drew's Rule Packet. Big Surprise, I know.
:!: The game location will be on a planet called Eldir'roth (Old Elvish for Sacred Haven), the 4th planet in the system of Valoria. Eldir'roth was epicenter of a major arcane catastrophe that occurred relatively recently. As result, humans are no longer the dominant species on the planet, and others races are rising as powers once more.
:!: The PCs will not be conventional adventurers. But, rather, each will begin as the ruler of a small city-state on the newly redivided continent of Empyrion.
:!: The PCs do not all have to be on the same side.

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Re: Spoilers

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 pm

How much control will we have over the design of our city-state?

Will we be given a pre-designed one, or are we able to design our own? How much control will we have over economic, governmental, and social systems, population and army composition, industry, and resources?
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:58 pm

You will have the option of taking control of an existing city state, or creating your own. Keep in mind, however, that of you choose to create your own, you will be designing not only a city, but possibly a civilization. Highly customizable, yet highly complex. You will not have to design the cultural roots however. If you opt to create you're own city-state, you will select from a set of ancestral backgrounds. Each background will provide boosts to your civilization. You will also be able to mix and match different backgrounds, if you more flexibility instead of specialization.

As for micromanagement, you can deal with as much of those things as you want. If you'd rather focus on your military campaign, for example, you can choose to leave the economy to your advisors. Needless to say, Knowledge Skills will be important if you plan to run everything.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 pm

I see a series of nerdy Archivists, Wizards, and Factota on the horizon for the micromanagers here...

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Very well, just remember that nerdy skill monkeys tend not to be quite so charismatic. Micromanagement is one things, but, remember, you also have keep all of your subordinates in line, one way or another.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Spoilers: Races

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:38 pm

:!: All races from the PHB will be available.
:!: Due to the nature of the setting, humans will have different subtypes that very by the 5 human bloodlines: Kel-Dashi, Kel-Torio, Balgastrun, Maldani, and Xerinaiic.
:!: There will also be variants of other races. For example: Orcs have been broken into two different subtypes: Wild Plains-Orcs and Ravager Orcs.
:!: Additionally, races from other sources will be allowed as well, such as: Hobgoblins, Kobolds, Raptoran, and Tauren.

Next Week, we'll talk about Classes.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:15 am

*Well, since I already spoiled it for someone else:
Kel-Dashi: Decedents with a scholarly kingdom that mixed with Gray Elven Blood. While warfare and industry may not be their strong points, they were renowned for their uncanny ability to both gather and comprehend even the most obscure bits of knowledge.
Cultural Bonus Class: Archivist
Cultural Bonus PRC: Lore Master

Kel-Torio: Decedents of a people who once dwelled with the drow when they still lived on the service. Assassination, Deception, and Spymastery are all skills that nations with this bloodline seem to excel at.
Cultural Bonus Class: Ninja

Balgastrun: These hardy folk once mixed blood with giants and dwarves. As a result, they have bred a stalwart and uncannily resilient people. What lack in magitech, they make up for with with proven warriors who don't go down without. Also, positive relations with the Dwarves almost certainly ensure the best weapons most have ever scene.
Cultural Bonus TBD.

Maldani: The nations that carry this bloodline tend towards a natural mastery of horsemanship and mounted combat. Additionally, they have bred a species of horses that are faster and tougher than the average.
Cultural Bonus PRC: Wild Plains Outrider

Xerinaiic (Zair-en-i-ic): These humans cary are the decedents of a people who once lived in a society that practically bathed itself in arcane power. The magi that result from this bloodline are usually far superior to most mages in Eldir-roth. Though, sometimes this bloodline will result in strange manifestations of power, making some people question where their ancestors acquired their power from.
Cultural Bonus Class: Warlock

*All of this is subject to change.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:40 pm

Okay, Dai has made up his mind that he is definitely joining this game.

Race: Kel-dashi (and was pretty obvious), unless further updates allows me to find a race that suits me better.

the rest is currently being planned, and not to be spoiled (with exception to DM), everything from culture, economic base, government structure, military organization, etc.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Special Spoiler: Sample Kingdom: Baltharan

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:41 pm

Just something to get you guys thinking:
Baltharan
Population: estimated at 1.6 mil (42% human, 41% high elf, 10% half-elf, 7% other)
Human Bloodline breakdown:
Kel-Torio 40%
Kel-Dashi 30%
Maldani 30%

Government Structure: Oligarchical Totality
Military Structure: Heavily Regimented, with access to both standing army and the capability to arm and field peasant militias.
Current Standing Army: 112,000 with 55,000 in reserve, and 20,000 in training.
Specialty Units: Doomguards (well trained heavy infantry), and Mobile Platform (Magitech/Steam Tech Platform that features an open bunker being carried by 4 massive legs (the bunker has enough room for up to 31 occupants)).
Special Class Options: Knights, Crusaders, and Marshals.
Territory Class: Nation
Territory Size: Medium
Major Fortified Cities: 5
Major Forts: 10
Vassal States/Cities: N/A

The following are details of the nation, each of which is ranked from 1 to 10, that make up the nations total influence score.
Population Growth: 5
Nationalism: 8
Military Prowess: 7
Industrialization: 9
Economic Strength: 7
Agriculture: 5
Magitech: 5
Steam Tech: 7
Arcane Capabilities: 2
Divine Capabilities: 6
- Corruption: 10
= Influence: 49

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 pm

You guys can also feel free to start PMing me with you state/tribe ideas. Don't post them here, because, obviously, there are some things that will be widely known, and some that aren't. If you do so, please include the following:
*Culture: Rituals or practices that make your culture unique.
Religion
Governmental Organization: What type of government?
Military Organization
Description of economy and/or industry.
Population breakdown.
*Geography.
*Approximate age of your civilization.

*This will change quite a bit by the time you're calling it finished. Especially since you don't know what kind of parent cultures are available.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:51 pm

As I'm still working on the map of the continent, I am, at this time, unable to accurately place your territories, though giving me an idea of the terrain is greatly appreciated. Just to put things into focus, the planet you're on is massive compared to Earth (think about 1.5-2 times the size).

The maximum size of your states is still being worked out, but don't expect anything higher than 10,000. However, you will all be starting out around other city states, so there will plenty of opportunities to expand.

The "arcane catastrophe" occurred exactly 20 years pre-campaign. Basically, an ultra-powerful (and ultra epic) mage-king tried to bind and sap the strength from a God (it was actually a portion of the collective consciousness, but, whatever). Not surprisingly, the entire ritual backfired, and the result was the collapse of the super-gate which triggered a massive explosion that wiped out nearly 2 billion within about 3 minutes (the refugees that now are trying to repopulate the continent are those who were able get out in time, or who were visiting other countries. In the aftermath of the explosion, a beam generated by the blast shot in to space and vaporized the planets moon and blew apart the once 5th planet in the system.

At about 20 minutes after the explosion, the blast hit the coast of the massive continent that used to be the nation who's king did the binding, which resulted in a massive surge of water that began to travel across the sea, and earthquakes began to rip the land asunder. The resulting earthquakes and tsunamis caused two other continents and dozens of islands to sink beneath the ocean.

At 30 minutes post-explosion, debris and pieces of the planet that were kicked up in the explosion proceeded to rain down upon what was left of the other continents, kill millions more in a barrage of arcane charged comets. Many of the monuments, buildings, and architectural wonders of ages before were lost in a matter of hours.

To top it all off, all forms of arcane and divine (druidic magic and psionics were spared) shorted out for a complete year. The resulting dust kicked up by the blast threatened to cloak the world in darkness, but the elders of the many druidic counsels banded together and managed to dispel the massing dust clouds before such a thing was possible.

That's all I can really share thats storyline related at the moment. I can however say that your level has been bumped up to 15.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:17 am

Breaking news: To add to the confusion and general civil unrest, I've decided that the campaign will instead begin only 20 years after the "arcane catastrophe." Enjoy! :D

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:27 am

SWEET! Just enough time for my char to have been actually involved in my state's unification (maybe)! Good thing you told me this before I started writing the history.

Anyways, I got names now:

State Name: Shikikoku (四季国) [Lit: Kingdom of the Four Seasons (of KEY)]
Character Name: Kotone Sakagami (坂上 琴音) [lit: Harp/lute sound above the mountain slopes]
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:34 am

Looks like I'm making an area of the continent with "Asian" influence.

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “War of Lords”