Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Spoilers

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:31 pm

map updated
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 pm

so drew are you removing the background-ability-score bonuses? they're still there currently
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 am

Update: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=849&p=13911#p13911

:!: Backgrounds no longer grant ability boosts.
:!: Read the bit about Oracles if you're planning on having one.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Drew, are you planning on using item familiars?

If so, I'd suggest that you nerf invest skill and ban outright Cast Invested Spell. That ability gives already too-powerful casters a further huge advantage over noncasters.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Unsurprisingly: This game is now on hiatus until after my exams and final projects complete.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed May 27, 2009 3:47 pm

And after another hideous series of delays: Expect my game to pick back up in the next week or so. I will also be Florence in a week or so, but I will still be at my computer when I'm not out sun-burning.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri May 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Having given it some thorough reconsideration, I've decided that Incarnum will be used in the campaign setting. The use of Soulmelds with be a very new concept to the world, and chances are that none of your characters will have even heard of it.In other words, before you presume to do anything with it, ask me first (and I am strongly reserving the right to flat out "No!" you).

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Guidelines for creating your ruler's heirloom:
Max cost (market price): 350K
Max CL: 20
No epic effects/spells.
No skill boosts over +20
No ability boosts over +6
etc.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm sure you're all wondering why there haven't been many updates in WoL very lately, so here's why.

I'm still working on a timeline of all the major events in the history of the continent. I'm also working on a brief description of all of the countries and territories, so that you all can better understand your neighbors. Expect the brief description to be up over the weekend. Expect the timeline to take a bit longer.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:42 am

I can't seem to find the earlier posts about the Vampire Purge, but lest that last post makes me come off as a complete asshole, allow me to make a qualifying statement.

Though its true that the vast majority of the vampire nobles were wiped out, I put in that bit about the "rumors" for a reason. It could, therefore, be entirely possible that the entire, or most of, ruling family of one of the nations could be of vampiric blood, with many being actual vampires. Vampires, with lifetimes spanning from long to eternal would never forgive their grudge, and would probably be just the type to sink away, plan, build back up from behind the scenes, and then take revenge.

So, Dai, if you want to design a nation run by vampires, I'm perfectly willing work with you on that.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:32 pm

I've been working a lot on an aspect of the game that I believe I've spoken to a few of you about: Ritual Magic. Ritual Magic is an incredibly difficult to learn, and supremely exhaustive form of a magic, that allows a given caster to combine various nonepic spells. Because the DC to successfully cast a Ritual Spell is a Caster Level check, the few who can cast these are typically very high level. It also functions much the same way that a Red Wizard's circle magic, or Dai's tactical spell feats, in that in order to cast the ritual, you need one primary caster, and between 2 and 7 additional casters who are supplying spell slots.

Here are the notes I have on it thus far:

Four feats with [Ritual] descriptor, the third of which will most certainly be an epic feat: Ritual Initiate (allows one to aid (give spell slots) in a ritual), Ritual Leader (allows one to be the primary caster in a Ritual Hierarch (allows one to not only design (craft) rituals, but also allows them to insert additional spells into the ritual, and Ritual Metamagic (allows selected feat to be used in the casting).

Casting duration will probably be something in the neighborhood of 1 round/minute per total spell levels used.

Difficulty class is still in the works, but it will probably be something like DC=15 +2/spell level of each individual spell used. For example: casting a ritual that involved multiple widened, energy subbed (cold) fireball spells and an ice storm spell would be something like DC 35.

Though up to 8 spells could be combined, in theory, typically rituals only involved around 2-3 spells, because adding more than that only makes the casting for difficult, and the result more obscure to predict. Trying to to combine too many different schools, for example using one spell from each school in a ritual will almost certainly caused disaster.

Special class abilities that modify spells, such as Force Missile Mage's ability to pierce shield spells with his magic missiles only apply if all participants casting that spell also have the ability in question. Likewise, metamagic effects only work if, for example, all of the fireballs being added are empowered. In general, mixing metamagic is bad idea, as volatile spells have been known to detonate while within the circle.

Thoughts?

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 pm

|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 pm

All good points. Cooperative spell would have been required regardless, but I'm inclined to required the additional feats simply because becoming a Ritual Caster should be something that requires an almost lifetime commitment (and thereby giving me an excuse to place heavy restrictions on the number in existence).

As to mixing spells: part of the reason why I'm creating this system is so that effects that once seemed outside the boundaries of typical spellcasting can be given reason to exist. Things like, say, calling forth the spirits of ancient warriors on a massive scale, or summoning a flying bear that shoots energy out of its eyes (at least a few people should get that reference). Obviously, its going to get messy, especially if you try to combine things that don't make sense (like solid fog and shocking grasp).

Also, lest anyone gets too far ahead of themselves, there will be no mixing of magic types. As in, you may not mix arcane and divine spells. Nor may you try and mix magic and psionics. No. Just no.

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:59 am

Oh, I'd say we could /try/. Whether or not we get anywhere or die horrible deaths is another question.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 am

Well, beyond my refusal to let magic break the system any more, there is a logical reason behind not allowing the two to mix. Essentially the Ritual Leader is in charge of forming all of the spell energy, and then deciding what he will attempt to create with that energy. Mixing spells is hard enough, but could you imagine trying to synthesize magic and psionics?

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “War of Lords”