Keeping it Real

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Keeping it Real

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:31 pm

I've posed this question to a few of you before, but I thought it would be more helpful to ask everyone en masse and sort it out in the comments section. The question I'm asking should be obvious:

Do you think that War of Lords is still viable?

I'm not doubting anyone's conviction, but given that Dai's game collapsed, I've begun to wonder whether this game can actually last. Much of the reason why Dai's campaign fell apart seemed to be slipt between the abundance of effort required and the lack of intrest in sorting through all of the dense political stuff. Let's be honest, much the reason why we play this game it for the kickassery (combat), and there wasn't going to be as much of that in Dai's game, then I guarantee there will be even less in War of Lords. Not to mention even more dense political strategical navigation. Some of us get our jollies from that sort of thing, and some of us don't.

You could very easily argue that once some more of us graduate/hit summer break, it will be easier to find more room for gaming. But even with the time off from Academia, I am not looking very favorably at the prospect of trying to chase down people, especially not in a game with as much work as this one. Not to mention that I'll almost certainly be working multiple jobs if I stay in the city.

So, my friends, we stand at a crossroads.

Discuss.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Re: Keeping it Real

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 am

There is one vital difference between the two. On Chroma, the game required the active participation of all players in order to proceed. If one person's interest waned the entire game ground to a halt, and the delay damaged everyone's engagement in the game. It is also this structure which led to needed to 'chase people down' and badger them into posting.

However, with each person controlling a separate country, especially ones that are geographically distant from each other as ours are, this problem almost does not exist. Each player can proceed for long periods without any input from anyone else except the DM, and one player's inaction will have almost no effect on the other players' ability to proceed.

Because of this, I believe the game is viable, and will prove much more resilient than Chroma.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 pm

I think WoL could work, but am unsure if it will. The biggest hurdles I see are the startup cost, both for the DM and the players, and the possibility of bottlenecking on the DM.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:45 am

WoL could work if we could guarantee a viable population of guaranteed active players. In theory, if I get off my throne of procrastination and ever get around to starting/finishing my nation, there would be 2 players (Dai and I) that don't run the risk of getting bogged down with schoolwork.

Dave's got a good point with the startup cost issue though.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 am

I have never had a problem with not having time to participate in a game, especially play by post, due to schoolwork, and I don't think I will. If I can get my nation's design finished before I leave for China this summer, there should be no problem being able to respond regularly.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Tue May 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Startup cost is the main thing. Actually playing it hasn't been a problem. You remember how much we accomplished from just having 1~2 days of free time between us two.

Also, it helps when people get out of school, which is reason why I'm not going to DM anything for a while =9
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Return to “War of Lords”