Campaign Fiction

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Campaign Fiction

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:16 am

Campaign Fiction Volume I: Cry to Havoc

That thunder had begun to sound nearing skies was of no surprise. The humidity had been building all day in the Red Marshes, and the Thaaskan soldiers were much relieved after a day of fighting. Soon, the rain would begin to pour, and many of the soldiers had already removed their helms in anticipation. It had had truly been a tiresome and murderously exhausting day, and by the looks of things, the day would soon be at an end.

Not but a couple hundred yards in front of the massed Thaaskan Royal Guard Battalion, Lord Thayne III, High King of Thaask, sat regally upon his horse amidst his retinue. His armor was dented and blood-splattered in a suitably brutal tribute to the day's action, and the plate of his nearby soldiers varied little. Even the two war wizards, who hovered invisibly nearby, were equally tarnished in garb. Yet, despite the exhaustion that was already beginning to creep upon them, both lord and soldiers appeared steeled and unfettered, a fact which the approaching black iron-clad retinue found slightly worrying.

"Lord Horus! You've gotten fat!" Shouted Lord Thayne, in a surprisingly upbeat manner. Though the man he addressed did not seem amused.

"A bold comment for a man about to be slaughtered." Lord Horus returned.

"Am I?" The King returned, his face and demeanor unchanged.

"Unless you'd like to spare yourself, and your men's lives?" Replied the noble.

"Was that a rhetorical question?" Responded the King, after a short pause, causing his men to let out a good chuckle.

"Laugh all that you will, King Thayne, but your predicament is less than favorable. My men have you quite surrounded."

"Correction. The men of the Lady who died valorously to take this ground from us, now have us surrounded. I don't recall you actually raising a dagger. Though, I imagine that horse must be quite sore from carrying you." He quipped, having noticed previously that the issue of weight was clearly a sensitive issue for his opponent.

The noble gave the King a terrible glare, before muttering something inaudibly.

"Will that be all?" the King replied with a tired sigh.

"I will give you this one last chance to surrender. Lay down your weapons, and your men will be spared." Said the noble, briefly regaining his posture, or what little he had of it to begin with.

The King looked around at his retinue, all of whom, including the king himself, proceeded to burst out laughing.

"Are you all mad! You're surrounded! You'll be slaughtered! Think of your soldiers!" called out a younger female rider within Lord Horus' retinue. Though no one else silenced her, they were all to busy being in shock over what they were witnessing.

"Yes, my dear girl, we're all old, mad, dogs of war. Though, if you think we're a lost cause, perhaps you should ask our soldiers?" Were the words the King managed to fight through his laughter.

Lord Horus managed to shake himself out of his stupor, and with a devilish smile, as though he had just had an epiphany, urged his horse towards the enemy's lines. His retinue rushed, albeit hesitantly, to catch up with him. King Thayne III, simply continued to laugh as he turned his own retinue around to casually follow them back.

"Look at your King, Thaaskans! See how he laughs so wildly! Clearly he is mad and he plans drag you to death with him! Surrender now and spare yourselves!" yelled Lord Horus, bringing his horse to halt not but a shy forty feet from their ranks.

"Think of your husbands, wives, and children!" chimed the younger soldier in the black iron retinue.

For a few moments, there was no response, and the soldiers looked at the enemy's command unit like they were something out of the Far Realm. Then, gradually, a middle aged captain made his way to the front. He regarded the enemy for a moment, and then, turning the to Thaaskan soldiers, he drew his sword, struck his shield with it three times, and called out, "THAASKANS! WOULD YOU LIKE TO SURRENDER?!"

"SIR!! NO!! SIR!!" they roared back.

"WHAT DO WE CALL THOSE WHO SURRENDER?!"

"COWARDS!"

"WHAT DO WE THINK OF COWARDS?!"

The resulting shout, was given with such ferocity that the ground seemed to shake, thereby sending the enemy command unit's mounts into a panic. Lord Horus was painfully lifting himself off the ground, as he looked up to witness the looks of intense hatred that were focused on him from the ranks of soldiers that stood before him. He literally froze in panic, as his retinue began to back up.

Needless to say, the most recent events had sent shock flying through the ranks of the enemy soldiers. They too were exhausted, and now that their posturing attempts had failed to back down the Thaaskans, the prospect of having to cut down the remainder of the Royal Guard Battalion was not a pleasant one. Despite having reduced their enemy to less than a third of their original number, there was still a clear distinction in the level of quality, not to mention morale. That the Thaaskans would most likely be cut down by the days end was fairly certain. But it was as to what cost that had black iron-clad warriors terrorized.

By now, King Thayne had made his way back to his lines, and he, with his retinue, looked upon Lord Horus with utter disdain. He turned around to look upon the enemy soldiers, and then rode back out to address them. A war bard placing an enchantment upon him before he proceeded.

"Understand, warriors of the Green Way, that there will be no Thaaskan retreat. You've made the unfortunate decision to invade us, and we intend to make you pay for every inch you've taken, and every live you've ended. Understand, warriors of the green way, that if you would live to see the next dawn, the time for withdrawal is now. But, understand, warriors of the green way, that should you commit yourselves to this fight, then no mercy will be offered. You may beg and plead all you will, but that will not hinder our blades. Understand, warriors of the green way, that I intend to defeat you once, and only once!" He finished finally, as the bard near him dismissed the enchantment upon him, returning the volume of his voice to normal.

The exhaustion, coupled with the tenacity of the Thaaskans, and the "exchange" between the commanders was beginning to confuse the situation of the battle. A few minutes ago, the demise of the Thaaskans seemed inevitable, but now composure in the ranks of the green way warriors was beginning to slip. The regulars and elites were able to keep themselves together, but the militia looked as though they were ready to break.

King Thayne, his boisterous demeanor having throughly faded, looked down at Lord Horus once more.

"The next time I open my mouth, it will be to order my men to advance. If you have anything else you'd like to say, now would be the time."
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “War of Lords”