Discussion of the Game

White Wolf, not BoED

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Discussion of the Game

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:27 am

Normally, I don't bother with asking the PCs what kind of game they'd like to play in when I'm writing up a story-line. This isn't meant to sound conceited, but the fact is that the demand for games always seems to be larger than the demand for PCs, to put it economically. This also because it usually doesn't matter to me what kind of game the PCs want to play (the rare exception being my warforged game). Usually, I type up the setting, and if people want to play it, fantastic, if not, then it goes to my unfinished/unplayed folder, and I try again.

However, since it states specifically that I'm supposed to discuss the concept, style, and themes of the Campaign (I don't care what the author of exalted likes to call it, its a campaign, not a story, a campaign, goddamnit [/lewis black impersonation]) with all of those who wish to play in the game. So, I intend to honor this "suggestion."

To be quite honest, I am, at this point, still in the conceptualization stages of design. For me, this means that nothing is on kbs/paper, and that I'm kicking around ideas in my head. Though, it should be noted that I'm getting very close to "crunch-time" as it were.

In terms of style, its definitely going to be heavy on the espionage and politicking, and, as such, we're going to be making heavy use of the social combat system therein presented in the core book. Thusly, in order to make an effective character, you're going to want to put dots in Social Abilities. Even the heavies are going to want to put a few dots in presence or socialize. Playing a character who specializes in "talking softly" and "carrying a big stick" will get a lot of kills, but will miss out in interacting with huge parts of the story-line, and, therefore, experience.

Naturally, there will also be combat scenarios as well. Because, lets face it, not every diplomatic endeavor is going to end peacefully, sometimes, you're going to have to put your daiklave through some poor motherfucker's skull. That's just the way it is. So, don't skip out on combat skills either. In my opinion, every character should have a few dots in at least one of the Dawn Caste's combat abilities.

As for mass battle, don't look for a lot of it early in the campaign. The way things are currently shaping up, you'll be starting off as small-time operatives for various organizations across Creation. Perhaps later, after you've gained some influence, you may be able to make war. But not, for a very, very long time. This is not to dishearten those who might have been looking forward to test out the mass battle rules, but, again, this is an espionage game.

So, ideas, criticisms, complaints? What kind of game do you want to play?
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:29 pm

That sounds OK. Espionage and politics aren't really my thing, though I could be persuaded to play a Zenith and that way I would be able to hold my own socially. Frankly, Exalted is pretty clearly a higher-RP setting than anything I've seen other than Planescape, so I'd better get used to the idea of more talking and less killing.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:55 pm

While it will be important to pick up a few social skills, I'm not trying to suggest that everyone should play a master bureaucrat. You guys will probably only need one primary negotiator, but everyone should still grab something. For example, one of my first Dawn Caste builds featured 4 dots in Charisma, 4 dots in presence, and 2 dots in Specialty (Presence): Intimidation. Needless to say, that rolling 10 dice on an intimidation attempt at the beginning could have proved useful.

Active Characters:

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support

Postby Squall255 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:31 pm

unfortunately, I am a bit busy at the moment, so when I finally get around to reading some of the mechanics, I will have a better feel for what I wish to do. Espionage game sounds good though.
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:04 am

count me in. pondering a Sidereal Exalted.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm a bit wary of letting people play exalts other than solar, sidereals especially because the sizable roll they play in just about every aspect of Creation. They are, after all, known as the Seers for a reason. They are charged with not only the task of guiding fate, but are granted the power to manipulate it. A power that I'd rather not bestow upon anyone at least until they understand the setting a lot better.

Given the nature of the campaign, Dragon-Blooded are completely out of the question. You'll be working either primarily or exclusively for and with the Cult of the Illuminated. An organization that is dedicated to restoring Solar Dominion to Creation. Honestly, given the story-line, I don't see things ending well for such a character.

Lunar, of all of the "other" kinds of exalted, I find to be the most acceptable for newer players, because backgrounds aren't going to be all that different. Both Solar and Lunar Exalts suffered at the hands of Wyld Hunt for centuries, and both have been labeled as Anathema. So, due to similarities, I won't be as hesitant if you wish to pursue them.

Abyssal Exalted: The answer is no. Don't bother asking, because it won't happen.

Heroic Mortals, God-Blooded, etc.: I won't stop you, but I will worn that the game will be geared towards playing demi-gods, so, you're character will, most likely, die off rather quickly.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm

If we can get one more person interested, I can start posting guidelines.

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:37 pm

I might be interested, but I would need a set of the core rules.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 am

It's heading up to /Uploads as I type this. ~7min to go.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Return to “Exalted Game”