Final Preparations

Schedules & reviews on meetings [don't spam]

Moderator: Zanaikin

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Re: Final Preparations

Postby TheDude51 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:19 pm

"Personally, I think it would be good to throw enough real battlemasters into the illusion that the Imperials would be forced to respond to some extent, even if they realized it was an illusion. This would mean that we suffer some losses either way, but means that we do gain some benefit even if the illusion is detected. It seems a reasonable trade-off.

"As to the strike against the enemy command group, I am loathe to risk a company of crusaders in a feint action. With the enemy's maneuverability, retreat will be impossible without teleportation, and teleporting a company of troops is no mean feat. With their Golem Armor, they are difficult to teleport normally, and if the Assault Skiff is disabled by the Imperium's vast array of firepower, we could lose the entire company. Are you confident that your forces can extract the company? If so, it could be an effective tactic, but I am worried that they would be in a very tenuous position.

"Lord Derovarr, what is your opinion?"
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:14 am

Vandria:
"Unfortunately, we are not certain that we can extract a company of Golem Armored crusaders fully. The Gemstone Guard's mage units have just enough war weavers to handle its own teleportation, although the troops do have one-time teleportation items for emergency use. Only the Assault Skiffs will be able to teleport the Misalinian Crusaders, and if they are destroyed..." she shrugged. "The only thing I can say is that the Assault Skiffs can teleport far faster, have better missile-defense-to-size ratio, and far better shield coverage than your own Sky Galleons. But, nothing in war is infallible... after all."

( EDIT )
Kovis:
"We could also just send in an amount of Crusaders into the attack that we could teleport out without the Assault Skiffs' aid. I know I can teleport almost 30 myself if I can just get some time to put together a weave. Such an attack could just include a command squad plus between two to five other Crusader sections, which'll be able to provide a decent cover against Metaacs for the Airindale mages. I'd definitely volunteer for this myself. My cavalry was obliterated by those bastards out there and I haven't even had the chance to retaliate yet!"
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:52 pm

"Well, Kovis, you're deffinitly the most adept at getting a squad in and out quickly and efficiently for the feint."
Command ring to Kovis: "Just make sure you're doing it for the right reason. Remember the dead, but fight for the living."
"I'm not sure how effective I'd be on the rest of the field, cause I'm still working on an attack against those damn Metaacs. I'll go with the Feint squad to help them out."
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 am

After giving some time to to mull over the responses an inquiries, Derovarr finally responded.

"Given that the standard Imperium Brigade is about 5,000, and that there ability to field war machines of impressive size and capability will undoubtedly increase their over all effectiveness, I believe that we should match their numbers with 5 regiments of our our own Battlemasters. I am aware that moving in that many Battlemasters will be difficult with regards to time, but in order for us to successfully repel our enemies, a show of force must be made. That, and we must factor in how many well will inevitable loose to their ranged firepower.

With regards to the illusions that we will be creating to supplement the battlemasters, how much control will be have over how the illusions act? Because it occurs to me, that if we could hit the enemy from two or three different direction with different ratios of battlemaster to illusions, we could inflict some serious confusion on them.

As for the feint. Lord Kovis, I will grant you 2 squads of our best crusaders for this feint (from the ACR 10 company, not the Captains Company). Though the notion of of having heavy infantry be committed to a feint, my confidence in your spell-weaving far exceeds such doubt. Before I decide to allocate my command squad, I would know whether your squad is in capacity to fight alongside of you?"
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:44 am

Aelisar:
"As for the illusions, not as much control as I'd act actually, and certainly not from multiple directions at once. The need to get in and out before they can spring any nasty surprises for us means I can't maintain control over them for extended duration, and the area of effective illusion limits how far we can move them. In essence, the illusions will only fool them momentarily even if they have no way to discerning the truth, because the illusions are just too limited by where they must be. [EDIT] As far the teleportation, I think we can provide you 10 widened teleportation circles for this operation, which means we should be able to pour through two companies of Battlemasters per wave (round) and still leave them some room for evasive maneuvering, and that all five regiments should be able to teleport through in just a few minutes. Of course, these teleportation circles' destination will be targeted along the enemy's projected path of advance. Although, at what distance between the circles' teleportation destinations and the Imperial front line do you plan to begin the operation and start marching Battlemasters through the circles ? [/EDIT]."

Reynold:
"We're slightly tired from enduring the earlier bombardment, but I think we're all ( he means Kovis' command squad ) still good to fight this battle."
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:54 am

"Very well then. Four regiments will be teleported into battle, and will engage the enemy alongside of their illusionary counterparts. The other four regiments will depart at a time that will have them arrive at roughly the same time as the other battlemasters. Once the primary regiments have engaged the enemy, two of the regiments will strike the enemy's right flank, while the other two will strike the left. (Use the five reserve regiments, and 1 regiment per division)

EDIT: The teleportating bound battlemasters will be teleported in 3 miles from the Imperials, while their land-bound comrades should leave with enough time for them to be 4 miles out when the teleporation circles open. Hopefully this distance should give the teleportation groups enough time to intertwine with the illusions.

Lord Kovis, his squad, and 2 squads of Crusaders (ACR 10 Squad x1, ACR 8 Squad x1) will participate in the feint, while my command squad and an additional 2 squads of Crusaders (ACR 10 Squad x1, ACR 8 Squad x1) stand by as a response squad, and as a a back-up for the feint, should the need arise."
Last edited by Mr_Praetorian on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:06 am

Daethelar:
"In that case, I believe we have our battle plan to carry out. Furthermore I just received a message from Naralan few minutes ago - it seems forces lead by Banner have returned after their successful destruction of the Red Draconic Lair and elimination of its inhabitants. Marshal informs us that unless we require any aid which may shift the situation, the attack by Naralan will commence tomorrow morning at 0800 as planned."

Daethelar then stood up and took out a rod from his utility belt.
"In the upcoming campaign, perfect coordination between our forces will be absolute essential. So while this might be troublesome for some of you who'd rather not be speaking to each other all the time, the success of our campaign will rely upon it. The telepathic bond will be canceled once we no longer have need of it. But for the time being..."
Daethelar then raised a double-twinned Casting Array and channeled a Telepathic Bond to the command rings of most people around the table, including all the high level Airindale, Misalin (Derovarr, Samael, Ulrich, & Kati of the command squad are all attached, as well as Teodor), and Haven officers in its communications net. Then, using his rod, he sealed it with a Permanency spell.

( Message from Blade to Derovarr ):
"Someone is casting a tactical War Magic spell northeast of base 22A. I'm too far to tell any kind of detail."
"But the casting is certainly taking a while. Do you want me to go investigate or stop them ?"
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:09 am

Message to Blade: Investigate first. Report to me before you engage. Over.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:56 am

Blade responds with a simple "got that".

( any further suggestions before we head on to battle preparations ? )

( after a few minutes have passed... )
( Message from Blade to Derovarr ):
"Whatever spell they're casting, it's already taken few minutes, and they've also raised huge front of illusory thunderstorm clouds to hide the result."
"I can't tell the spell, there's a Prismatic Sphere raised which the caster is hiding behind...."
"Enemy response units!"
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:34 pm

( The DM re-edit some calculations and decided he needs to change something - sorry =p )

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=836&p=12205#p12205

( Drew : just edit your post below it to give me an answer )
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:25 pm

After the battle had been decided and the Airindale mages consumed much of their magical energy assaulting the Imperial forces, the human, elven, and half-elven elements of the attack withdrew to rest, allowing the Battlemasters to pick up what they could from the rapidly retreating Imperial units.

While the results of the battle were still being tallied and analyzed, Daethelar suggests that the commanders go take a few hours of rest first before they reconvene for another meeting. After all... if everything goes as planned the offensive campaign will begin tomorrow morning...

( basically, you get a few hours of time, including resting... )
( I'll be updating later this weekend )
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:04 am

On the morning of June 2nd, around 3am, Daethelar of Airindale high command announced that they have finished reforming the forces and tallying for battle results and an immediate and urgent meeting is necessary. As a result the commanders once again congregated at Thatahl...

( I assume you've managed to acquire your two hours of sleep during the meantime ).

As soon as everyone arrived, Daethelar promptly began the debriefing.

Daethelar:

"First I'd like to thank all the officers of this table for their effort in the battle. We have won the first engagement between the Alliance and the Imperials and shown them that even their proud technology is no match for us. The battle had been decided the moment the Imperials turned tails and ran. Their superior speed meant that we could not chase down any significant number of the retreating forces, but it is still a great victory for us. Especially now that the results have been tallied and analyzed."

"Our strikes at the enemy artillery were more successful than I had even hoped for at the beginning. The newly developed Spell Shields of the Naralan gnomes have proven itself in combat to be superior to our enemy's equivalent, and the gap of martial prowess between our soldiers even more evident. The artillery forces of the Imperial 36th Brigade have been devastated, and our battlemasters were able to completely shatter and annihilate the 36th's first battle line. Our estimates of the enemy casualties surmounts to 3 Armor companies, 3 Infantry companies, 3 Grenadier companies, 2 Artillery companies, 1 Supply company, and their command company, totaling near 2,800 troops, and destroying over 100 each of their Main Battle Tanks, Infantry Fighting Vehicles, and Artillery pieces, around 200 Missile Carriers, not to mention their Command Landship and a dozen METAACs. Our only regret is that because our strike went in after the enemy MLRS just volleyed, the unloaded Rocket Carriers were light and fast enough that many of them were able to flee from our forces, unlike their heavy artillery counterparts."

"Of our own losses, we've lost only 2 Assault Skiffs, although many others have taken varying degrees of damage but thanks to our spare materials they should be mostly patched up before the next battle. The Air Combat Mages suffered roughly one company in casualties thanks to the resurrection aid of the Misalinians*. The Battlemasters suffered roughly 3,400 in number, and over two-third of this number is due to the enemy's wide area coverage artillery barrages."

*(Note: reserves in both spell-slots and diamonds are dropping to dangerously low levels due to casualties taken in the last few battles)

"I think if we can learn anything from this battle, it is that the enemy's artillery is their most destructive weapon against us. Analysis shows that the enemy's Main Battle Tank's plasma lance cannons are almost useless against our Battlemasters due to their high agility, and the enemy infantry are no match against our Battlemasters or combat mages once we get within range. Their second most effective weapon is their missile volleys, which although we can greatly reduce their effectiveness by having tight mage formations and defensive wards, that is not an effective option when it is us on the offensive. Walls don't move with attacks troops after all, and their commanders have obviously been instructed not to waste their ammunition against us once we raise our wards."

"The anti-METAAC grenades have also shown relative effectiveness, although it seems due to the surprising high agility of those Metaacs it takes concentrated volleys to bring them down. And while I hate to say it, it's an innovation that seems to have come too late." Daethelar gives the Misalinians a half apologetic nod "They're effective, but I don't think you have the numbers to make them decisive in any confrontation against METAACs."

"... at least not yet, and by the time large numbers are made available I believe the war would already be decided..."

Daethelar looked around at everyone...

"Several hours prior, the enemy retreat stopped once they managed to put enough distance from our forces, and we presumed that someone simply took charge to begin reforming the unit. Just an hour prior, one of our scryers tracking the retreating Imperials discovered the vanguard forces of another Imperial forces advancing towards us. The retreating forces have also have reformed and are turning back. Upon further checking, we've confirmed that the oncoming forces compose a second attack force, far larger than the first one. The enemy attack force consists of the 22nd Brigade, the 77th Brigade, the 38th Half-Brigade, the Crimson Blades Brigade, as well as the recovered remnants of the 36th Brigade. This... must be the force your information tells you about Lord Derovarr, and I highly suspect the spell they performed was a tactical teleportation circle. Obviously, the enemy has no intention at all of waiting within their fortifications at Norinth for us to attack, but are challenging to us to a decisive field battle instead. They is nearing the location of our first battle even as we speak, and it will only take them between three to four hours to reach Airindale border."

"Even if we had the time to teleport our Battlemaster forces to Starfall before they reach us, I cannot approve of it at this point. Without Thatahl, the heart of Airindale is open and defenseless. Therefore I do not believe we have a choice but to accept this battle the Imperials have challenged us to. However, keep in mind that while we must fight here and now, we still have good control over the exact location and timing of the battle."

"My ladies and lords, I believe this is apparently as of this point, but I must reinforce upon the matter. THIS upcoming battle... will be the decisive battle of the war. The Imperials have mustered their best troops to attack us, and their propaganda has confirmed that it is lead by their commander-in-chief Aoric Zanaikin himself. On the other hand, they've only left the Norinth 1st and 2nd Brigades on the defensive to reinforce their fixed fortifications. Even if the defense is commanded by Miros Hallerak and their Emperor Celkosen himself, there is no doubt the two Norinth brigades are the weakest of their forces as they have not had enough time to be fully acquainted with their new equipment, formations, and tactical doctrine. With the coming of dawn, the Naralan forces and their Kingdom allies will launch their attack directly into Norinth, and they will have absolute superiority over the defenders, more than enough to completely annihilate them given enough time. As long as we win this battle... no... even if we stalemate this battle, we will achieve a decisive strategic victory here that will allow Alliance forces to win this war."

( map will be available later tonight... )
|

()

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 am

( Map posted : http://zanaikin.major-arcana.org/upload ... rCross.jpg )
( also accessible under the Maps link in my signature )
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:25 am

"Then it is clear that the forces of the Western Campaign must make there stand here. The last battle was exhaustive, but this sudden surge of forces speaks not of confidence, but of desperation. If they wish to expend their main battle forces in a single engagement, then so be it." Derovarr responded defiantly, as he pulled himself up from his seat, dark circles of exhaustion already beginning to form under his starry, veiled eyes.

"So, let us begin planning without further delay."

"If memory serves me well, we have roughly 30,000 remaining, split into three divisions. If Daethelar believes this to be our 'final' hour, then I see no reason to hold back. A show of force will do us good, and if past encounters have been any indication, its only a matter of getting the Battlemasters to the enemy intact. My plan would be to hit the enemy from three separate directions, one division from the center, and two from the flanks. Though, to fully formulate such a plan, I would have hear what the commanders of our air-fleet have in mind." Derovarr finished, effectively handing the spotlight back to the elves.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Aelisar nods to Derovarr's point:
"I couldn't agree more. This attack would appear to be more of an act of desperation on their part than anything else. It would seem their commander is throwing in his entire pot of gold in an all-or-nothing gamble."

Kanaer:
"All post-battle analysis shows us the enemy artillery is their most effective weapon, and our assaults against the enemy artillery were crushingly decisive. I see no reason why we should not use the same tactic again. Of course, in light of what happened the enemy will probably also dispatch more guards at each artillery battery. But they have a lot of artillery units in that force coming at us, there is no way they can significantly boost all of their defensive capabilities. All we have to do is concentrate our attacks and crush them as we did before with overwhelming might."

Tharivol:
"I believe Kanaer is completely correct. If we split our mobile forces into four assault battlegroups and one reserve battlegroup, and this time also split the Haven Asperi Dragoons and load them onto our Assault Skiffs, we should be able to easily reproduce what we managed last night."

Aelisar:
"And overall battle plan?"

Daethelar:
"The enemy is still too far for detailed planning and their formation may change in any way before reaching us. But they are currently advancing in a loose three Battle Line formation, with the 22nd Brigade on the left flank, the 77th Brigade on the right flank, while the 38th Half-Brigade and remnants of the 36th Brigade being reformed in the center. It seems like they are merging the remaining forces of the 36th into the 38th Half-Brigade, which will produce roughly a full sized Brigade. I believe they are being kept in the center for now only for protection. The Crimson Blade brigade is following closely behind the other three as if it were a designated reserve force."

"My proposal is that we hold our forces north of here and wait for the enemy to come to us. First this will give us the maximum amount of time to make our repairs to the Assault Skiffs, as well as rest and prepare our forces. Second because this time around, the enemy has brought more than enough force to try teleport a unit into our back in order to catch us in a crossfire. I would like to position our forces five miles within the Thatahl lockdown zone, at a distance they can begin charging at the enemy line and thus bringing them out of the lockdown area once the enemy reaches their artillery range. The assault on their artillery units will then go in to ease the damage upon our Battlemasters. With the lockdown on our back it would keep any enemy unit from being teleported in far behind our charge, and since the Battlemasters will clear lockdown zone for miles before engaging them will still be able to utility their own teleportation to their best abilities."

Ceriele:
"Wouldn't they be able to still teleport in behind us during those miles when we clear the lockdown?"

Daethelar:
"That, goes under the limits of the teleportation circle. It would be useless to make a teleportation circle so close to the battle zone because one simply cannot bring enough troops across before the enemy could react. Once they seize control of the other end through overwhelming number any further attempt to teleport through it would be suicidal. If we only leave a few miles of gap the enemy will not be able to select a location that would allow them to firmly estimate a bridgehead before our Battlemasters can arrive to... plug the hole."

"But similarly, we cannot expect to teleport across enough Battlemasters to within close proximity of the enemy to crush them by just the teleporting forces along. If anything the forces making the teleportation will be wiped out should them enemy concentrate fire upon their exit zones. If we spread the exit zones too much we cannot bring across enough force concentration to make it through the enemy Battle Line's defensive fire. Not to mention we are also limited by the number of teleportation circles we can conjure."

"At the same time, we must teleport in our Battlemasters to within and just behind the enemy line. No, such attempts cannot be counted to be successful, but it will allow us to entangle the enemy. If our opponent fights a defensive retreat, constantly pounding us from long range while we attempt to catch up to their superior speed, then it will be our loss. Thus we must send in... the cannon fodder if you will... to keep them busy and prevent them from steadily withdrawing. Furthermore, it will force them to spread their fire and further ease up on the Battlemasters making the main charge."

Aelisar then looks at the Misalin side:
"What are your thoughts of this matter ?"
|

()

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Game Summaries”