Game Meet 18

Schedules & reviews on meetings [don't spam]

Moderator: Zanaikin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Game Meet 18

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:42 am

[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:34 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:56 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Alright, our raid initial raid managed to avoid complete catastrophe, but it could have gone MUCH better.

However, it also demonstrated that we have the ability to deal out a huge amount of damage to the enemy. Our offensive tactics with the ship were pretty much flawless. We managed to obliterate a good half of the enemy's shock troops, as well as killing three dragon lancers.

However, our problem lay in defending the ship. We were woefully unprepared for a melee breaking out on the deck of the ship, and paid for it with the lives of 13 warmages and severe damage to our sky galleon.

PLANS FOR NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS:
DAY 1: Air Dragons harass on their own, we'll let Andrei decide specifics, and if they want to perform more than one attack. Anything is fine, just keep them on their toes.

Then, that night, we disguise ourselves as goblins from one tribe and teleport into the enemy camp, right next to the command center for a rival tribe. We open up with a full barrage of nukes, then use recall insignias to beat a hasty retreat. We want to avoid a pitched battle, and our main goal is to inflame tensions within their army rather than to deal out damage ourselves.

DAY 2: More harassment by air dragons, again with Andrei determining the details. We attack again with the sky galleon from long range, charging the teleport as soon as we can. However, this time, we station a group of high level warmages a fair distance away from the opposite side of the enemy camp. As we launch our second shot, all of these mages will cast cloudkill spells at the enemy, spaced out for maximum damage. They will each cast one or more cloudkills, then use recall insignias to retreat. The idea is to split up enemy dispelling potential so that they cannot counter all of the threats we present them with. We will want the air dragons to launch a distraction from one direction, the sky galleon the attack from a second, and the cloudkills to be launched from a third direction.

PREPARATIONS: Last time we were not prepared at all for the encounter. Unbuffed, and with no special preparations of our home terrain (the ship), we faced a difficult fight. This time, it will be different. We will have Graamros boost us all with artificer enhancements, and everyone will buff up fully just before we begin charging the shots. Longer duration buffs will be placed on us by NPCs before we leave. Specifics here are open to ideas, but the idea is to be covered in magical defenses before the enemy arrives.

In addition, we will commandeer a few symbols, which will be set on the ship and detonate when the enemy boarding party lands. I would suggest symbols of Insanity, Weakness, Stunning, and, if available, Death and Fear. Forcing the enemy to make multiple fortitude AND will saving throws against crippling effects should tilt any combat somewhat in our favor.

Also, we will have to refine our specific tactics. I do not want to be acting as a tank for another battle.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:26 pm

Symbol of Death will not be available and Fear is unlikely. Both are Necro spells, and too high level for the Archeron casters, most likely.

Day 1 means tomorrow, right? Let us recharge after that fight, just in case.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:20 pm

The necromantic taboo ends within Misalin, and, as such, a few symbols of fear and even death have placed upon Sunrise Hill.

As for the creating desention with in the enemy ranks idea. Given the nature of our enemy, I have to day that there is an echo of doubt in my mind. Not only are we dealing with an enemy that wouldn't be past utilizing such tricks if they were availible, we also must remember the hierchary that exists within the fens. The draconic orcs rule with an iron fist. Disobey, and there are no second chances, thats it. It may not be such radical thinking as to say that they might not fall for it. Why one one small faction rebel against the greater horde? I seriously doubt even most bestial humanoids are that stupid. Besides, all it takes is one Zone of Truth spell to determine whether they're lying.

Also, keep in mind, that the primary implication of our intitial attack is that they know exactly what to expect from the airship. When we fire shots, they're not just going to move a little bit to the right or left, they're going to break off and scatter desparately in all directions to escape the blast radius.

As I had previously discussed with Dai (as in, about a week and a half ago), I was already going to draw up some plans for surgical strikes. The intent of the surgical strikes would be focused primarily on taking out the enemy siege units. For this task, I'm thinking skirmishers with glyph (shatter) grenades with a trigger being the next time they are moved.

While it would be nice to have some additional assistance, I'm going to have to seriously doubt the wisdom in simply positioning a group of mages so near the battlefield. Once they start firing off spells all its going to take in a half-wing of dragons to put them down, and, given yesterdays losses, I may not be willing to risk another group. Especially since we would have no way of a) defending them effectively, b) mass evacuating them.

Another thing to remember, is that the ones trying to dispel the shots won't be a bunch of minor sorcerers on the ground. It'll be the high level casters riding the dragons, and/or the high level casters on foot that have too many HD to be affected by the cloud kills.

Also, as an important side note, we might want to remember that Andrei has more than one siege to think about. I'm faily convinced that he'll soon be called away to fight at the main battle, thusly denying us the useful destraction he provides. So we probably should start trying to come up with plans that don't involve him.

One more thing, if we do continue to use the airship, perhaps we should consider using the phase shot option. Nothing like the shot suddenly phasing out of dispelability and reappearing even farther away from you.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:15 am

Drew raises some good points. My thoughts:

Dissension: Rather than trying to make goblins rebel against the draconic orcs or the whole Fens war machine, we would try to make this appear one group of goblins trying to edge out another. Perhaps it would be advisable to make the strike more subtle, so it seems more like an assassination than an outright blasting. Even among the most organized and lawful evil cultures, assassinating opponents or rivals is a relatively common occurence, and would probably be more believable.

Surgical strikes: taking out seige weapons would be excellent, and I admit that I am less then completely versed on the society of the Fens. We can evaluate the pros and cons of each plan before deciding which to execute. Possibly both.

Warmages: Using higher level warmages would mean that only higher-level enemies would have a chance to dispel the cloudkills. The idea here is to make them have to choose between dispelling the cloudkills and dispelling the shots, at least at first. As to evacuating, if the mages can cast cloudkill, then they can cast teleport. Anyone who doesnt have it known or doesnt have the spell slots can be equipped with a recall insignia. After a max of one or two rounds of casting, they will retreat. If they are already at medium to long spell range away when they strike, the risk should be minimal, especially if all/most of the casters/dragons are engaged elsewhere.

Andrei: While not vital to any plan, he would be a great help for everything. I was under the impression that he was attached to Trelling alone: perhaps Dai would clarify his status.

Phase Shot: Good idea, the only problem is the small blast radius on it. This would work best on more clumped targets, like seige engines and commanders. The best use would be to combine it with some kind of terrain, such as forests or hills that we could hide behind while firing. Also, now that we have met them, we can use Discern Location on that party of goblins/bugbears.

Note: I was wondering what effects are the norm for detecting magic in Penthaie. Detect Magic is obviously out, having a range of 60 feet. (Greater) Arcane Sight has a 120 foot range. I looked at various spells in SC, CM, CA, and PHB2, but couldnt find anything that would help.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:57 am

A few things:

Detect magic of all sorts is pretty low-ranged for most part, kinda need perimeter based Prying Eyes for that. However, if its the case of tactical spells like the main cannon, you don't need to detect the magic... the magic required is soo immense you can SEE it - whirling energies in the distant sky.

The draconic orcs do not rule the Fens, however, it is true all the other clans recognize their power. The green draconic orcs are the only ones who truly rule with an iron fist (via charm & compulsion). The white, red, and black draconic orcs have the most firepower and dragons to back them up. And the blue draconic orcs? deception and fear are likely answers. Many of the races in the Fens also worship the dragons for their wisdom and sheer power, which further consolidates the foundation for the draconic orcs.

Speculations say that Andrei is particularly interested in Trelling for a few reasons. 1. The Darion Fire Dragon Knights are based in Arcandia, and the two dragonkinds don't like to be in the same territory. 2. Trelling guards Port Carnia, the Capital of the Southern Coast Province, HQ of the current Archeron forces, and the link between what remains of Kharvan province and rest of Archeron holdings. (he is the lord of Kharva province after all) 3. His main job currently is technically reconnaissance (and annoyance while at it), so he spends an equal amt of time between the two fonts, making precise location of his support base less important.
So far in his attacks, Andrei's dragons have been keeping maximum distance so minimize losses from enemy fire, as well as ease of pulling out. He doesn't take much damage from enemy attacks, but neither can he dish out as much damage from such a distance. This might change once the battle gets more underway.
|

()

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:03 am

okay, we gotta split up the GP.

37500/6=6250 assuming we are dividing it evenly.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Return to “Game Summaries”