PENTHIAE CAMPAIGN QUESTIONS

Rules, Custom Mechanics, & other important data.

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: PENTHIAE CAMPAIGN QUESTIONS

Postby Zanaikin » Tue May 27, 2008 6:25 pm

well hardly...

the damage multiplier is meant to fix ingame balance between weapons vs. hp for everyone, including (particularly) low lvl NPCs (so it doesnt take like 6 greatsword hacks to kill a footman).

the metastrike feats are somehow inspired by metabreath feats, and just like metabreath I doubt I'll use them, so basically it's a matter of additional PC selection (shrug), which is reason why I think it's pointless given all of you are already feat-strapped xD.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Tue May 27, 2008 6:56 pm

I agree with Drew: Either is sufficient, though I'm of the opinion that if either is necessary, it's the doubling.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:53 pm

I clarification that DIRELY needs addressing, which I made as a rule now:

7. Metamagics and Damage Bonuses
Metamagics and similars effects which increases spell damage as a percentile (e.g. Silver Pyromancer's Smiting Spell) or maximization only affects the base damage on the spell but not any numeric bonuses gained from other feats, abilities, spells, or magic items. For example, Empower's +50% bonus would not affect the damage bonus gained from a casting focus enhancement, Warmage Edge ability, Agent Savant's Force Specialization ability, etc; similarly, Maximize would not affect the damage bonus gained from Spellslinging Command Aura (or similar abilities).

blasters already do enough damage as it is =P.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:08 pm

okay, unless I get major objections (MAKE THEM NOW!), we're tripling base weapon damage. This affects base weapon damage (not any magical bonuses), alchemical weapon damage, certain extraordinary attacks like trample. It'll also apply to certain things like falling damage (prepare for 120d6 ouch)

this tripling will be done AFTER all variable changes have been made based on size. Don't dare try to argue with me on order =P

I'll write up official rules and how it affects certain weapon-ish-making spells later. Don't expect any so great changes to build broken chars off of though Judson =P. The only spell it will GREATLY improve is telekinesis, as damage from weight suddenly increased massively (I always did love that spell, it's a must-have in my opinion for its wide range of utility use, ability to hurl oneself out of harm's way [lockdown], and for offensive purposes).

Mighty Wallop / Greater Mighty Wallop will be banned as a result from this. Combine this with the fact I don't use monks and thus Superior Unarmed Strike feat is only way to get high unarmed damage... sorry no1 will be trying to attempt 50d6+ damage from a fist in my game.
|

()

Laharl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:24 pm

You've covered my objections, which were basically GMW and unarmed. You can still do like 6d8 unarmed with SUS by 20th, so this is still good.

Actually, I do have one large question: Unarmed Swordsages. Do you use them? (Adaptation section of Swordsage, basically, they trade weapon and light armor proficiencies for a monk's unarmed progression)

While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:15 pm

|

()

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Unarmed Swordsage is from Tome of Battle, page 21 or so under Adaptation.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:38 pm

CHANGES/UPDATES:

DAMAGE MODIFICATION (Custom Rules Package):
DM Note: The following rules come as a set for the maintenance of game balance.
1. Basics
All base damage from physical weapons, improvised weapons, alchemical weapons, and technological weapons have their damage tripled. This multiplier is applied after any damage dice change made due to size modifications. This does not affect damage bonus from any other source, including from ability scores (strength), magical enhancements, feats, abilities, or spells.

2. Additional Applications
This tripling in damage also affects the following:
• Damage from weight (count as improvised weapon damage).
• Environmental hazards (e.g. acid pools, catching fire, lava, non-magical fires)
• Extraordinary special attacks (e.g. rake, rend, trample).
• Falling damage and impact damage (e.g. being thrown, explosive effects, telekinetic effects).

3. Supernatural Abilities, Spells, & Powers
Supernatural abilities, spells, and powers are not affected by this rule unless they are [creation] abilities which create something physical (not energy or force, e.g. Flame Blade and Mage's Sword) for a duration of one round of more, or they create/transmute to some other effect which may be subject to one of the given conditions stated above. Consult the DM before use for all supernatural abilities, spells, and powers which you believe should be affected by this.

CLASSES:
3. Monks
Due to a combination of balancing and flavor issues, monks are neither used nor allowed by this campaign. The rare monasteries across Penthiae will instead be using the Sohei (Warrior Monk) class from Oriental Adventures. Prestige classes that progress monk abilities will progress Sohei Ki Frenzy and spellcasting instead (consult DM).

FEATS:
2. Combat Focus Feats
Furthermore, the bonuses of the following feats are doubled:
Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization

SKILLS:
1. New Skills:
Drive, Knowledge (Business), Knowledge (Tactics), Knowledge (Technology), Navigate, Pilot

2. Skill Equivalencies:

3. Skill Modifier Changes:
• Spot checks receive -1 penalty per 30ft (instead of per 10ft).

MARTIAL MANEUVERS:
4. Maneuver Relearning
As defined by Tome of Battle, martial classes may relearn maneuvers (but not stances) on every even level except 2nd. This is modified to you may relean maneuvers on every initiator level (above 2nd) rather than class level. Thus meaning your character may relearn a maneuver even if you're no longer taking levels in a martial class.

MAGIC & PSIONICS:
8. Single Spell Rules
Mighty Wallop, Greater – Banned.

SPECIAL ACTIONS:
5. Take Aim
If you have at least 5 ranks in spot, you receive a +1 synergy bonus to attack whenever you take aim to ignore half cover, or a +2 synergy bonus if you take aim to ignore full cover.
|

()

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:49 am

Dai, you probably should ban Mighty Wallop as well (the normal version)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:36 am

before i go insane and bald attempting to figure this out and how to avoid it...Dai, do you use the XP Penalty rules?
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:24 pm

normal Might Wallop is banned, I just write it out in that format, Similar to my "Celerity, Greater, Lesser"

if you're asking XP penalty due to over-use of multiclassing, YES! and I'd probably increase said penalty too, if only to get ppl to stop dipping.
|

()

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 pm

You do know that the XP penalty is base classes only, right? It's not THAT insane...

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:06 pm

|

()

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support

Postby Squall255 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:16 pm

It's 10% per line that suffers from the penalty. Note that IF's give +10% XP, which would theoretically cancel out the 10% penalty for having 1 line with the multiclass penalty.
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:35 pm

The IF's +10XP is used for... something else I can't quite remember.
|

()

Return to “Game Mechanics & Rules”