Fires of Creation, Part I

Moderator: littleangryman

littleangryman
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Fires of Creation, Part I

Postby littleangryman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:48 am

The town of Torch has long enjoyed a singular claim to prosperity- a violet flame that burns atop Black Hill in the heart of the town. This flame burns incredibly hot, and while it's usually the size of a bonfire, several times a year the fires spew up into the heavens in a brilliant beam of purple violence. These eruptions are presaged by about an hour of soft rumbling, giving nearby smiths a chance to retreat before the fires can consume them. At all other times, the violet energies allow for the smelting of all manner of skymetal. Torch is one of the only locations where skymetal can be worked with relative ease outside of Starfall, and its entire economy has risen around these purple flames, with traveling smiths coming from across Avistan to pay for the opportunity to work with them. Of course, Torch needs all the visiting trade and coin it can gather, for while the town's distance from Starfall makes it inconvenient for the Technic League to maintain a permanent presence here, the taxes and tariffs it charges the Numerian town on a monthly basis are significant. The town prospers, but the bulk of its income does not belong to it.

Which is why, when the fires atop the hill suddenly go out, the town is in trouble.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Re: Fires of Creation, Part I

Postby Sajuuk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 pm

Harskgun awoke early, as was his habit, and proceeded about his morning rituals after donning his coat and the rest of his clothes, . The dwarven smith lacked a forge of his own, preferring to use the fire of the Black Hill that had given the town where he chose to reside it's name of Torch, but even when that flame was normal he couldn't use it for his morning rituals of Torag. For those, he used the foundry adjacent to his friend Khonnir Baine's tavern, and Khonnir regarded Harskgun as the caretaker of sorts of the foundry - since he was always the first one in there every morning stoking the coals of the forges.

Heading over to the foundry, he tended to the coals to get them to heat up for the day's work. While he was unable to work any majestic skymetals with the namesake Torch mysteriously replaced with a bubbling pool of goo, he could still work on contracts that used mundane metals. With the forges heating up, he headed over to the Foundry Tavern to eat a quick breakfast before heading back to the forges. Reciting prayers to Torag as he begins his work, he goes about his morning devotions by smelting a few pieces of ore he needed for his work. With that complete, he lit up one of his cigars and started to work at the anvil, wondering when his friend Khonnir would return from inside Black Hill - or when there would be enough people to mount an expedition in search of him, which he intended to join when it began.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Berryshine
Darth Member
Race: Halfling
Class: Halfling
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Berryshine » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:56 am

Rising shortly after the sun does, Manizei indulged in a long stretch before beginning her morning routine, singing one of her favourite songs of Sheyln as she washed, brushed her hair and, finally, dressed and left her room at the Evercandle Inn.
She had only arrived recently and, singing softly to herself she made her way out onto the streets, her first destination the temple of Brigh, followed by the Foundry Tavern. She was feling like making something this morning.

Then she stopped singing, looking up at the hill where the Torch should be. And wasn't.
This was not good.
Picking up the pace, she hurried to the Temple. Hopefully, someone there would have some idea of what was happening and, if not, she would offer her help.

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 am

Harskgun hears small footsteps behind him followed by a yawn, as the other resident of the Foundry wanders into the room. Konnir's adopted daughter Val has clearly just gotten up, and takes a moment to notice his presence. "Oh... good morning, Harskgun! I didn't know you were up." She yawns again and looks around. "Daddy still hasn't come back yet?"

Meanwhile

Manizei finds that the temple is busier than usual for this time of day, what with people starting to fear for the town's prosperity and all. Amid the mildly panicky supplicants offering prayers for relief, a junior cleric notices her come in. "Ah, miss Manizei. I do hope the morning finds you well. May I be of assistance?"

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Niles, having arrived late the previous evening, took his time taking in the room of the Inn as he strode in shortly after the dwarf. Like most buildings in Numeria, it had that comforting, rustic feeling juxtaposed by slightly technological design. Welcoming, but efficient. Niles occasionally wondered if anyone else bothered to notice such things.

Val, the cheerful and inquisitive young girl that had sleepily peered at him during his arrival the previous night was on hand to bring him a mug and a pot of coffee. Black. In a world of nearly unending complexity, Niles found solace in the simplicity of the mundane. From the tar-like scent of his morning drink, to the blandness of his eggs. Courteously, he slid Val an extra silver piece for her work, and then proceeded to pull out a book on Alzlanti symbols, and some papers where he would attempt recreate them.

"Nineteen tenses," he said quietly. "Even Adroffan only has sixteen".
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

polahburr
Wolvermember
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby polahburr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:21 am

Too excited and apprehensive to sleep for long, Enlali rose before the sun to complete her trek north to Torch. While this trip promised to be particularly eventful, she felt the same nervous excitement she did every time she went to the city. While she couldn’t say that she had fond memories of city life, it was always a treat to see a modern town that hadn’t fallen into corruption, and was filled with people who seemed so bored and rushed and lazy and preoccupied and really everything else.

By the time she reached Torch, it had rubbed some of the sleep from its eyes. Entering from the south, Enlali briskly walked to the nearest tavern that she could think of; the Foundry. When you have no clue where to look or what to do, head to that place with food and drink. Enlali rarely came to Torch with a solid plan and this tactic seemed tried and true. She hesitated for a moment before opening the door and looked at her reflection in the window. Quickly she dusted some of the dirt from her mail and leather then shook her hair to ensure no little creatures would become unintended guests. As presentable as she ever really was, Enlali walked into the Foundry in search of a meal and maybe even an opportunity.
"If you live long enough, you'll see that every victory turns into a defeat."
-Simone de Beauvoir, All Men Are Mortal

Berryshine
Darth Member

Postby Berryshine » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 pm

Greeting the cleric with a warm smile, Manizei chuckles quietly before responding. "That was actually going to be my question," she answers, the smile fading. "Is there anything I can do to help? Or anyone in town who would be likely to take the lead in dealing with ... whatever is happening?"

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:52 pm

[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:31 pm

The cleric sighs. "Well, there have already been a few expeditions to investigate since the fire went out eight days ago. The latest was led by Councilman Baine. I've been busy here, so I don't know if he's gotten back yet. He lives and does most of his work at the Foundry, perhaps you could head over there and see?"

Meanwhile

Val gives Harskgun a sad smile. "Ok. I think I heard some of the guests getting up anyway." And she skips off to the inn component of the Foundry, and among other things, gets the scholarly type peering over his books some coffee. She's still worried, though, and it shows.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Berryshine
Darth Member

Postby Berryshine » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:38 pm

"Thank you," Manizei responds warmly, before glancing around the temple nad giving the cleric a warm smile. "You've been doing a good job here, and I'll let you get back to it."
Turning, she leaves for the Foundry, her mind going over what little information she has. Eight days is longer than she had expected, but the people of Torch are, so far, taking it well. Probably, she reflects, her face darkening slightly, because the Technic League haven't heard yet. If whatever has gone wrong hasn't been fixed by the time they hear about it and arrived, things are not going to go well for the people here. And she can't have that.

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:21 am

(BTW Enlali needs to give me a Fortitude save)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

polahburr
Wolvermember

Postby polahburr » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 am

"If you live long enough, you'll see that every victory turns into a defeat."
-Simone de Beauvoir, All Men Are Mortal

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:40 pm

As she enters Torch, Enlali develops a low-grade headache, but nothing she can't handle.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:22 am

Having seen to the needs of the guests, little Val politely excuses herself and leaves the room.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 pm

About half an hour passes uneventfully. Some people wander in and out. Niels gets to enjoy his coffee. Harskgun gets to finish what he was working on. Enlali and Manizei get a chance to arrive at the Foundry. A good time is had by all.

SUDDENLY!!!

The morning calm is disrupted by a loud scream issuing from Khonnir Baine's house behind the tavern. The voice is that of a young girl, and specifcally Val.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Return to “Game Threads”