Part 2: Siege of Drezen

Moderator: Squall255

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Part 2: Siege of Drezen

Postby Squall255 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:55 pm

It is a few hours of marching before you make it to the outskirts of Drezen. The riverbed rises at a noticeable slope for the last few miles, rising out of the gorge. The stink of smoke and grime can be detected on the wind. You make it a safe distance outside and Irabeth suggests you set up a base camp here.

Anevia suggests that she and Cernandlon each take a team and scout out the area around the city.

General consensus is that the troops are Hopeful of their chances. They aren't exactly eager to be on the front lines but feel that in the end their side will win this fight.

(If Cernandlon goes on the scouting trip, make 10 Perception rolls, as well as posting your take-10 perception value)
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Part 2: Siege of Drezen

Postby Zanaikin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Epicette thinks it's a good idea. She also sends Reverie along with Anevia to keep check and perform an overhead survey, her blend harness matching the sky's colors as she went. The owl is also instructed to turn back should she leave empathy range (1mi).

Reverie's Perception (take10+17=27) checks:
12+17 = 29
7+17 = 24
11+17 = 28
12+17 = 29
13+17 = 30
17+17 = 34
5+17 = 22
14+17 = 31
11+17 = 28
15+17 = 32

Stealth take10+23 = 33
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Cernandlon goes scouting with a team.

Perception Take 10 = 23
1d20+13 → [11,13] = (24)
1d20+13 → [12,13] = (25)
1d20+13 → [14,13] = (27)
1d20+13 → [19,13] = (32)
1d20+13 → [12,13] = (25)
1d20+13 → [17,13] = (30)
1d20+13 → [7,13] = (20)
1d20+13 → [8,13] = (21)
1d20+13 → [6,13] = (19)
1d20+13 → [17,13] = (30)

(Stealth: 1d20+17 → [18,17] = (35))
(If the situation warranted it, add another +10 to Stealth from Chameleon tattoo)
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm

As the scout team prepares to deploy, Daveed gather's the soldiers for a rousing speech. (Which his player, Drew does not have the energy to type out at the moment due to sickness).

(Mythic Diplomacy Engage!: 1d20+21+20(DoC)= 43)
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Squall255
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Scouting gives you the attached map.

Attack-able with army:

Paradise Hill:
Demons like the ones you saw commanding the dretches roam this hill that was once the warehouse district. The scouts pick up traces of crusader prisoners being held here. count(Demons) ~ count(Crusaders+Mongrelfolk)
Cernandlon notices a Vrock wandering one of the streets under what appears to be a command guard.

Northbank:
There doesn't seem to be much going on in what was once a residential district. A little too much nothing...

Southbank:
Large number of tieflings and cultists, they easily outnumber your forces 3 to 1. Guarding what appears to be some form supplies.

Cemetery:
Large numbers of undead, particularly Ghouls roam the cemetery.

Better for a Strike Force:
Haunted Vault:
There seems to be a large Vault surrounded by eerie shadows. Cernandlon is able to detect some larger undead creature inside the tomb.

Ahari Bridge:
Cernandlon notices that this bridge is the best way for the mounted crusaders to cross to the city proper and it would be a good idea to capture it before the enemy decides to destroy it to fortify their position. He also sees that there are 4 large aggressive bull like beasts (Don't appear demonic) chained to the support pillars.

Watchtowers:
There are 7 watchtowers surrounding the citadel. 3 seem fairly badly damaged. The other 4 are manned by a rotating crew of cultists, demons, and tieflings as well as armed with a large catapult.

Your camp is to the east of the map.
Attachments
Drezen.JPG
Drezen.JPG (107.35 KiB) Viewed 694536 times
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:17 am

"Though they have an advantage in numbers, attacking Southbank would give us a solid beachhead, as well as effectively denying them control of the south-side of the river."

Active Characters:

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:21 am

"Personally, I'd suggest taking Paradise Hill first. That'd give us a good beachhead too, plus high ground. And, if those reports are true, reinforcements.

Furthermore, we could proceed straight to Southbank from there and not have to worry too much about attacks on our flanks, and then clear the whole place clockwise from there. What do you think?"
Last edited by littleangryman on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:37 am

"Having the high ground would be beneficial, but if we attack Paradise Hill first, we run the risk of being caught between the forces there and reinforcements from Southbank. We could easily find ourselves outnumbered 5 to 1 or more."

Active Characters:

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:51 am

"No, any advantage in numbers they'd have from Southbank is limited by the one bridge they can use to get them there. Hit fast enough, and secure that bridge early enough, and we can have heavy infantry there to hold the bridge, and archers to mow down anything that tries to cross it. Most everything stationed in Southbank is light enough that that would hold them at the bridge, at least until the hill is secure and we can turn our full forces on them."

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:23 am

Epicette ponders over the scouting info for some considerable time before speaking her mind (I'll just list since it's a lot to talk about):

Attacking Paradise Hill first:
Pros:
1. Rescuing prisoners before the demons get any temptation to start executing them.
2. Coming from the east, it's the most isolated position. With the bridge to the citadel destroyed, any reinforcements could only come from Southbank
3. Easy to defend if we set up camp here.

Cons:
1. The hill + leftover building provide an excellent defensive position for the enemy as well as cover against our superior archery. If the enemy is keen with the idea of reinforcements, Paradise Hill is much harder to take before they arrive.

Attacking Southbank first:
Pros:
1. Open terrain and poorly trained foes (past experience already shows even a small force of demons is much more dangerous than massed cultists). Even if the enemy reinforces, there's a good chance of finishing off the cultist army first.
2. Still easy to defend, if we camp on the easternmost edge of Southbank. Their only approach is through the barren, open landscape. Our arrows will tear them to pieces.

Cons:
1. Can be reinforced from three directions. HOWEVER if the Keep's defenses really are stripped bare, it's unlikely they'll march the garrison out. The cemetery is a far way off, and if Paradise Hill actually chooses to march off their defensive position -- all the better for us.

Based on that, Epicette would agree with taking Southbank first. Our forces are more maneuverable with superior ranged fire to the demons. Starting the first fight on open ground will give us the best chances regardless of how the battle develops.

Either way, Epicette suggests we rest for the night (before announcing our presence to Dreznen) and attack in the morning. After a full day's march the army has got to be tired, plus fighting at dusk/dark will only benefit the enemy.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:54 am

NPC Thoughts:

All NPC's assumed you were going to be resting the night out of sight and attacking tomorrow.

Aron Kir:
Aron is concerned about the state of that last remaining bridge. He thinks it should be secured first, because he can't think of any way to make a good replacement should they destroy it. This would be best served (in his opinion) by having most of your group run a strike to take the bridge while the paladins assaulted Southbank. This would mean Irabeth would have to take command of the army while Daveed went with you. This would also put you in a good position to attack the watchtowers nearby to stop them from using those catapults to drop the bridge.

Aravashnial:
Aravashnial believes that your first priority should be saving as many of the captured people as possible and destroying the known demon army. He's sure between some of the high power levitation that you have around, you could probably levitate at least a functional bridge somewhere.

Anevia:
Anevia sides with Aravashnial, being uncharacteristically somber when she mentions the prisoners they have as her main reason.

Irabeth:
Irabeth is confident in the soldiers ability to do some hit and run attacks on the Paradise Hill, not a full assault, aiming to secure as many prisonsers as possible. Meanwhile she proposes that the Command Party raid the Haunted Vault. Something about that shadowy being doesn't sit well with her. Also, if the undead AREN'T aligned with the demons, it means they have no need to defend the keep. That means that the won't mind abandoning it after they take some men for meals.
(|)
(|)

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:34 am

Malorix ponders the NPCs' reactions. After some consideration, he proposes to go with Irabeth's plan, but sending the strike team to the bridge instead of the vault. With both the bridge and as many of the prisoners as possible saved, the full might of the army can thus be brought to bear on pretty much the entire outer city in whatever order command feels like.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:12 am

Epicette look rather grim as she states:

"We're here to take Dreznen. If we fail that, everything would have been for nothing. That means taking the bridge and keeping it secure is of foremost priority -- unless someone has the ability to conjure another should this one be destroyed. I agree with launching a strike at the bridge first thing in the morning, but I would have the army prioritize South Bank over Paradise Hill. It would be folly to think we can hold the bridge for long while they control both banks of it and can strike with impunity. Once we have both the bridge and the south bank, then we can detach a group to guard the bridge while we assault Paradise Hill. It might sound callous to leave the prisoners to second priority, but we're here to take Dreznen and alter the course of this war -- a lot more lives hang upon our success than just several dozen captured."
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:27 am

Daveed listens to the exchange patiently before responding.

"Rescuing the prisoners would be a significant boon to morale, and possibly our numbers. However, Epi is right. If we cannot secure a point from which to launch the assault on the fortress itself, then we risk failing the objective of the campaign. We will do what we can to liberate the prisoners, but our priority now must be Southbank, and that bridge."

(Diplomacy to persuade NPCs: 1d20+21= 39)

Active Characters:

Squall255

Postby Squall255 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Anevia and Aravashnial concede the point. Irabeth says "If you think that's the best plan I'll follow it. Who is going to be in the squad taking the bridge? Who is going to be leading the armies during that opperation?"
(|)
(|)

Return to “Chapter 2 - The Sword of Valor”