Post and discuss character's here

Moderator: Zanaikin

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Lord Derovarr "Hellbreaker" Rothwyn, Character of cag

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm

I believe I listed Epic IF abilities at lvl 21, 24, 27, 30...

thus why Derovarr got one at lvl21 in order to get Divine Blade...

<_< PCs, only remember it when they get the sweet side of the stick and forget what they traded off for it...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Sorry, missed that. Well, for next level then.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:31 pm

drew : just to note, the only epic man. you'll have in meantime is WGC. You simply don't have time to 'develop' an epic man. from scratch, and no-one around you can teach you Clarion Surge (CS xD) in the meantime...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:48 pm

So noted.

But since I can't have Clarion Surge, an I then pick up Aurorum Cyclone? I was going to take it first, and, therefore, it stands to reason that Derovarr would have been working on it instead.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

In development (not that I have tons of time, but surely we can assume Derovarr's been thinking about it for a few days):

A stance that gives bonuses to attack.

Notes:

Probably a morale bonus, since, let's face it, Derovarr is a morale based character, then again since he's likely to have Mindblank up continually from now on, playing the religious card and going with sacred might not be a bad plan. Then again, it begets the question. Would Mindblank block morale based effects from maneuvers and abilities in additional to compulsions? I could makes the argument that since morale is such a vital aspect of the character design that Mindblank should not block it, but whatever. As with most of my abilities, the majority of aid is going to those around me.

Most likely require others to be near for it to be effect: maybe something that works in tandem with Cooperative Commander and/or aid another. It'll be level 9, so there's precedent for it to be be just that awesome.

Maybe something based loosely off of Wolf Pack Tactics (or whatever its called). Requiring participants to be flanking, and giving a +2 bonus/participant with flanking. Though, with that kind of setup, bonus begins to feel like of a circumstance bonus than a sacred one, which doesn't help me I would like it to stack with Cooperative Commander. Then again, given how insane that aura is alone, I have my doubts as to whether I'd be allowed to pull it off.

Any thoughts?

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:27 pm

part of Mind-Blank as I understand it is that is puts the character into a state of absolute calmness magically, thus they stay composed no many what type of charm, compulsion, fear, etc etc effect is put on them, this'll also mean their mental state can't shift to a higher gear like morale. And for a leader, showing confidence and having confidence are completely two different things anyways =P

Cooperative is a pretty insane aura, although the main drawback was that is has limited use. Mind, I can still allow additional bonuses to be put atop, you just have to have a darn good reason for it, because that aura is the equivalent of everything coordination and teamwork has to offer (actually I've been thinking about it, but I might have to rule that Coordinate ability isn't does not work with Coordination aura). You're going to have to draft out what exactly are your thoughts before I can decide on anything more...
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:06 pm

If thats the case, then it would seem that I need to be pushing for for either sacred or circumstance, and that I need to find a spell that will block scrying, and still let me receive morale bonuses. Since I'd hate to be a "walking military information leak" whenever I'm not in my armor (unless, of course, the person scrying on me can't beat SR 28). Nondetection is nice, but any spellcaster worth their salt can make Will save without even thinking about it. So, I'll put forth the notion to our Chief of Spell Development (that's you Judson), since I'm guessing he would like to receive bonuses from this stance too.

This of course, also brings up the fact that Silver Knight's Glare may require some retooling. It's a morale penalty to an attacker, but most of the people I engage in combat tend to be commanders, which gives me the sneaking suspicion that it may not be quite as effective I'd hoped it would be.

As for a preliminary draft, let's try this:

Righteous Vanguard Stance (Devoted Spirit) [Supernatural]
Level: 9
Initiation: Swift
Target: All good aligned creatures within 30ft
Duration: Stance
Effect: All good aligned allied creatures attacking the same target receive a sacred bonus on attack rolls equal to +2/good aligned creature engaged with said target, to a maximum of +X (either 10 or 20, since you can really only cram so many warriors around a singe target before things start to get confusing)

It's a little rough, but it is a rough draft.

Again, thoughts? (Addressed to anyone who has ideas, not just the DM)

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 pm

The Chief of Spell development is also Chief of Not Having Spare Time To Develop Spells, so Samael can't help too much there. However, it shouldn't be too hard to develop a modified version of the Screen spell (SRD) that emanates from you rather than covering a fixed location, which would handily solve the problem of scrying.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Nondetection is a CL check not a will save, but in a game with Casting Arrays (or Circle Magic that exists in other D&D games) CL checks can be boosted by a lot.

You still haven't explained how that bonus exists... "divine power" isn't good enough =P.
You also have to give me an explanation on why it's balanced (which is reason I tend to base most things I design on something that already exists), cause in my opinion that bonus is way too ridiculous. The White Raven lvl8 stance only gives a tops of +5 and only against those you threaten...
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:53 pm

Question: Do I need really to give the bonus a "type", or am I just making this more difficult than it needs to be?

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm

That's a choice left to you. Untyped bonuses of course stacks better, but they are also more powerful in all balance considerations, while typed bonuses can be slightly higher than an untyped bonus but still considered equivalent in power.
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Moot point now, since I decided to pick up Pearl of Black Doubt at Level 10. Which I have to say, isn't that bad of a stance. Even though chances are that if I am swarmed and are taking damage, I'll most likely be engaging Immortal Fortitude.

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Prayer Book Selections (yes, I realize obtaining the book itself is two levels away, but there are a lot of spells out there, and I wouldn't mind getting a few opinions):

1st: Updraft, Warning Shout

2nd: Divine Protection, Protection from Negative Energy

3rd: Conviction Mass, Favorable Sacrifice, Holy Storm, Mantle of Good, Ring of Blades, Sacred Haven, Sheltered Vitality

4th: Blade Barrier, Favor of the Martyr, Greater Blindsight, Positive Energy Aura, Recitation

5th: Stalwart Pact, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful,

6th: Greater Resistance, Zealot Pact

7th: Fortunate Fate, Renewal Pact, Mass Restoration, Holy Word

8th: Brilliant Aura, Greater Spell Immunity

9th*: Undeath's Eternal Foe, Greater Visage of the Deity

*Assuming the campaign goes long enough, I plan on picking up Greater Cloak of Courage as a Permanent Emanation later on.

Active Characters:

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:07 pm

just one warning on the prayerbook stuff (and yes, you are preparing way too early, scoring two lvls is going to take a LONG time, especially since one of them is lvl25->26):
I consider all Pact spells to be contingency class spells, as well as Fortunate Fate, and only one Contingency spell may be active over any target at any time.
|

()

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:48 pm

After giving it some thought, I've decided to not pick up a Prayer Book. Come 26th level, I'll be nabbing Great Smite and something else.

Active Characters:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Characters”