Chapter 0: Summons to Bavara

Moderator: Mr_Praetorian

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Chapter 0: Summons to Bavara

Postby Laharl » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:21 am

Alvar orders an ale and walks over to the dwarves at their table. <Dwarvish>"Good to see someone else who appreciates the fine art of quaffing here. Before you ask, I grew up in Tharkavian. Mind if I join you?"

(I'm totally ignoring Strider over there...)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Wessel heads into the Inn and heads to his room to meditate.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm

[Outside]
Satella found that the hill’s incline was a bit more treacherous than she expected, but she made her way to the tower with relative ease. By the time she reached the doors to the tower, the sun set and the last few rays of sunlight were fading quickly. Already, the veil of stars was beginning to blanket the sky from the east.

Whereas the path to the tower had left her with the usual unease of traveling the North at night, Satella found that as she drew closer to the tower, she began to have feelings of comfort and protection. By the time she pushed open the ancient doors to its interior, any unease and fear that may have gripped her faded entirely. The place had cleared been warded with some protective magics to bolster good and disincline evil, and though such things made her weary, the warmth and vitality these magics provided could not be denied.

Stepping into the keep, Satella noted that despite the lack of occupancy, the tower is in fairly decent shape. Though the doors were likely knocked in by the same people who looted the downstairs, the walls and stairs are in good condition. Even the ever-burning torches remain bright. This it seems, will make an excellent place to stargaze...

------------------------

Wessel is showed to his room.

[Inside]

“Heh, no training as such, I’m on vacation as it were.” The half-orc chuckled, wiping excess stout from his neatly trimmed goatee, fore setting down his mug and extending a (clean) hand to Sharos.

“The name’s Baregor Vjardeksunn, Knight-Captain of Norwich.”
(Roll Knowledge (Local): If you have it).

“I prefer, the ‘Hellknight’”. Noted Veiala, as she leaned across the table and looked at him seductively. To which Baregor gave a grand smile.

------------------------

Athaulf doesn’t detect any evil auras per see, nor does he appear to have any symbols that he’s seen before. Though there’s something about a longknife strapped to the warriors left leg that makes you particularly uneasy; as though some grave injustice has been wrought with that blade.

After a few moments of analyzing the warrior, he catches you looking at him, to which he responds by tipping his glass and giving you grin full of yellow and black teeth.

------------------------

<Dwarven> “Well met!” replies the dwarf dressed as a battle cleric, while the other, a mage of some sort moves his chair over to give you room. The barbarian likewise gives you a welcoming nod.

<Dwarven> “We be Brago and Tlomar, and that be Volga. What brings ye to Grigori’s place?”
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:26 pm

[Done]

Active Characters:

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Squall255 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am

"Ha ha, 'Hellknight', one doesn't earn a name like that lightly. My name is Sharos, and my companion here is called Torgal. You seem like a man who enjoys both good drink and a good story, so how about we play a drinking game to pass the time? We each tell a story of glory from our past, and for each foe vanquished, or day won, we both have ta drink, but if you slur your words or get lost or repeat something, you have to drink. What do you say friend? I have a few good stories from the wars down south." Sharos says with a smile and good mood.

(If he doesn't seem interested Sharos offers the following)
"Or if you're in a more... contemplative mood, Torgal and I would be happy to discuss whichever philosophies you'd like. Universe, Deific, Planar, or Arcane. Theories of war, anything. We're always looking for new ideas."

Untrained Know(Local):
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:48 am

Alvar takes the offered seat. <Dwarven>"Well met indeed. I be here with some comrades, and we're gonna explore that there forest and see what be going on. And maybe make some money while we're at it, if there's anyone left to sell to!"

While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Athaulf will slowly sip his beer while keeping an eye on the red-and-black warrior. [[not actually doing anything more here, unless theres something in the law that lets me attack evil individuals on sight]]
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:48 pm

[Outside]
(Dai, roll a perception (hearing) check).

[Inside]
Sharos hasn't heard of this particular Knight Captain of Norwich, but he knows that that the current Duke has filled his court with an interesting array of personages.

"A Trade of Tales*? An excellent idea!" The half-orc responds. Veiala, almost instinctively, grabbed several mugs and lined them up in front of you and Baregor (5 each). She then filled up one mug for each of you. As she finished, Baregor downed the last of his stout, and gave you toothy grin.

"Have at it, friend."

(So, here's how we'll do this. Pick five stories from your character's past (after you've consulted me first), and give me a sentence or two describing each one, followed by a Charisma Check and a Constitution check).

*(Also, you gain 250XP for coming up with an interesting and new idea, which I'm going to implement as a common tradition amongst adventurers).

----------

The entire table looked absolutely shocked at Alvar's declaration. Tlomar even managed to spray his lager all over Volga.

<Dwarven> "That be brave, or stupid." Said Brago after a long pause.

"You go to misty place for something more good than gold. Yeah?" inquired Volga, after she finished wiping the lager off of herself. </Dwarven>

----------

(Essentially, paladins are left to their own discretion when it comes to taking down evil creatures in everyday settings. You're generally expected to not go smite-crazy against every minor evil that pops up. But, if you feel justified, you do have the authority to insist the surrender or to slay the wicked when there seems to other just path to take).

----------

(Wessel needs to roll a perception (hearing) check).

Active Characters:

Sajuuk
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:04 pm

(Perception: 1d20+12 → [5,12] = (17))
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Squall255
Race: All of them
Class: Support

Postby Squall255 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:13 am

Story 1:
"This one time, my squad and I had to take back a keep from an enemy lord, so we all get ready to charge in right, plan a big siege and everything. I don't do any magic on day one, just observe and dole out some healing and support. Day 2 arrives and first thing in the morning, I tell Torgal to sit this one out. He's a little upset but agrees and goes to.. I don't know where to be honest. So my squad goes charging right for the main gate, no battering ram, no ladders, confuses the HELL outta the enemy. About 60 feet from the main gate, I summon a giant Boar, I mean massive, big as a horse, and twice as mean as a regular boar. The guys at the gate were not expecting that. let me tell you. Broke in that day and the castle was ours within the hour."
Cha and Con Checks:

Story 2:
"This time we had to hold a keep that had a busted front gate. The night that the reinforcements arrived, I walked among them, invisible. I managed to call in a few Magma Elementals to help me. They moved unseen under the earth, emerging only to ignite the enemy siege engines. They couldn't do a thing to us the next day. We routed them in a day."
Cha and Con checks:

Story 3:
"For this one, there is no terrain. huge field, one of the kind that you hear in legends, square mile of flat terrain. I went with Torgal here, and we went invisibly in through the enemy ranks, found the enemy leader, and Torgal here who ripped the sword right outta the leader's hand. I've never seen anyone so surprised! I teleported Torgal back to me right as a whole array of arrows descended on him. Let the enemies take care of their own."
Cha and Con checks:

Story 4: (I assume that a 7 con check inebriates me a little)
"Ok, this one is HILARIOUS! So our group is fighting a wizard in his tower right? one of another lord's benefactors or something. So we made it to the top of the tower and were locked in a big fight. Alvar over there is throwing potions like a madman. Torgal starts charging at him like a madman, and I lay a Grease spell on him about 1 second before Torgal knocks him through the fucking WINDOW! WHOOSH! SPLAT! Bastard must have forgotten to learn Featherfall!"
Cha and Con checks:

Story 5:(Assume 9 Cha roll means he didn't like the last one)
"Ok so not one for the funny ending? Then I'll make my last story a good one. On this day our engagement didn't go well. Our forces were routed. We were fleeing through some forest and into the mountains. A patrol was following us and one of our guys was wounded. We found a cave to hole up in but they were still going to find us. Fortunately it was getting dark, so I cast a Dancing Lights scroll, and Ventriloquism scroll, and a new spell I'd learned called Black Tentacles at the cave entrance when the squad arrived. Grabbed one of the poor bastards and drew him outta sight, making chewing noises and using the dancing lights and as eyes. never seen a patrol turn around so fast. gave us enough time to recharge our spells, heal our man and get outta there.
Cha and Con checks:
(|)
(|)

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:38 am

<Dwarven> "You should have seen the looks on your faces. But yeah, that's where we're going, and there's something more valuable than gold. Information about the state of affairs there. I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd like to know that, both governments and merchants alike."

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 am

Perception : 17+11 = 28
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 am

[Outside]
The shot of absinthe, combined with the veil of the stars, allowed Satella to drift into a half dream, half vision like state. She had had them before, and they were so common in her childhood that many in her village began to call her a “mystic”. Particularly when she gained the ability cast spells.

Though, unlike what many belief, all visions are not alike. Some are auditory, some visual, some in between, and some defy all mortal perceptions. Some are clear as day, and others hopelessly vague. One does not choose when visions come about, and nor can one try to set the conditions to be “right”. They come about on a whim, though of what will ever be unknown.

The usual prevision haze of consciousness settled over Satella like a warm blanket, and she felt herself being lifted up and transported beyond reality. Explosions of imagery from her life and dreams surrounded her, and for a moment she felt that she would be consumed in the chaos of unreality. Then, silence...

She lay on the ground of a large grassy field. A light layer of fog covering the ground, but the skyward stars ever more bright. Yet her attention was soon grasped by a dark and mysterious presence. One of rolling shadows, yet a strangely peaceful disposition. As the blur in her vision subsided, a calm, enchanting Tsarovian voice was issued from the shadows.

“Dreamer? Why have you come to this place of hungry shadows?”

[Inside]

Wessel’s contemplations while distracting, are both deep and meaningfull.

----------

Trade of Tales
Round 1:
Drink: Dorugan’s Best (DC 11)
Winner: Sharos
Baregor’s Tale: How I broke into a noblewoman’s mansion, slept with her daughter, and stole one of her heirlooms; all without getting caught. Then, the next day, I got busted on a street corner for Using Magic Without a License, and guess which noblewoman’s daughter was garrison commander where I was booked?

Round 2:
Drink: Argrundar Pale (DC 13)
Winner: Tie
Baregor’s Tale: On a mission out in the Hordelands, my group was surrounded, and about to have our heads on pikes. So I challenged the ogre leader to test of strength. If I one, he let us go, if he one, I’d kill my comrades for his amusement. The minute we lock arms, I hit him with a Touch of Stupidity spell. Long story short, a few minutes later, he’s convinced that unless he kills his own men, they’re going to murder him and take his wife.

Round 3:
Drink: Vardoc’s Black Brew
Winner: Baregor
Baregor’s Tale: N/A

You don’t really have a clear picture of what happened after you gulped down the Vardoc’s. When you do awake around two hours later, Torgal informs you that you were essentially gone after round three, and made quite a scene at the bar. You did and said some interesting things, and complemented the bartendress on the perkiness of her breasts. Multiple times...

Nonetheless, Torgal informs you that Baregor took quite a liking to your spirits, and offered that should you ever visit Norwich, you have the full extend of his hospitality to look forward too.

(You gain 1100xp for gaining a new party contact (now listed on the party contacts page). Though you’re also out cold, and will be for the next two hours, at least, unless someone hits you with a Restoration, or better, effect. I’ll let you know in a post when you’ll be allowed to head back down, if it comes up).

----------

Volga looked as you strangely, almost as if she didn’t believe your words for a moment, or that she was offended by something you said, before getting up from the table and walking off.

<Dwarve>
“Yeh’ll have ta pardon Volga.” Brago commented. “She, eh, grew up, I guess yeh could say, in Khasgara, and don’t take too kindly ta those talkin’ all easy about it.”

“Aye,” Tlomar agreed. “Yeh’d have ta pay me an awful some tah go anywhere up there, and I’d make damn sure I was goin with a good crew.” </Dwarven>

----------

About fifteen minutes passed by as the evil warrior continued to drink his ale. He seemed to be rather enjoying it; savoring it really. After downing the last sip, he slammed the mug down on the table and declared, “Thank you all! You’ve been great company! I’d love to stay, but I’ve got a date with death! Fair evening to you!”

After making his sudden declaration, the evil warrior stood up and left the inn.

Athaulf, still taken-aback by the scene, was suddenly jolted to reality by the ranger standing next to him and saying. “Paladin of Solarus, I would ask your assistance in something. Please, follow me.” Upon which, he promptly started walking towards the door.

Active Characters:

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:54 am

Alvar calls out his apologies, still in Dwarven, to the retreating woman? dwarfess? (can't remember) (Diplo 10). "Sorry about that."

To the rest of the table: "Oops. Never was too good at talking. Shall we partake in that time-honored dwarven tradition of getting drunk? Next round's on me." Alvar's voice continues to rise as he speaks, in hopes of assuaging his gaffe.

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:53 am

Athaulf follows the ranger without question, and will draw (unsling? take out?) his Lucerne Hammer as soon as they leave the inn.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Return to “Game Threads”