Custom System

Anything D&D pretty much.

If I makes a custom system, would you be interested in playing it ?

No, too much hassle and D&D is good enough for me
13%
Yes, but only for short simple games
13%
Yes, would be willing to use it for long serious games, assuming trial run works out
63%
Other (state and I'll add it to poll)
13%

Total votes: 8

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Custom System

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

beejazz
Darth Member
Race: Leliel
Class: You're Kidding, Right?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby beejazz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:53 pm

I'm in for playtesting. Likely online only and also likely as a player only. I'm already pretty busy ironing out the details of my own new system.

It sounds like you've got a good start.

EDIT:
I'm iffy on the fate points.

More generally, I think you should be careful not to always look at your system as a reaction to D&D. It might be easier on you if you scratch build things. Personally I went with a feats/skills/abilities only approach, even going as far as to make things like races and spells into feats, attack and defense values into skills, and saves into straight ability checks. I'm not saying you have to go that far, but you could drop classes entirely for a background/talents/skills system or somesuch.
I'm writing a game.

I'm also writing up a little setting to playtest it in.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Well whether one likes it or not, all tabletop system WILL be compared to D&D, which is still after all the most well known system around. I intend to throw out everything from D&D that I found problematic, but I don't intend to build everything WITHOUT looking at D&D either. After all, everyone whose played D&D at least likes SOME things about it.

Besides, I agree with the d20 class system, I just think D&D strayed from their original intentions too far. Whereas feats/tricks should direct a character's "person" development, classes should direct their "role" development - how they advanced because of social or career factors rather than their individual hobbies and choices. The problem with most existing class systems is that they're too restrictive, not because its fundamentally flawed.

[shrug]
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

beejazz
Darth Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby beejazz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:45 am

I'm writing a game.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Using skills to advance BAB would actually be a really good idea, except for the problem of balance. Putting it simply, BAB is simply too powerful to be put on the same level as the other skills, even if you divide it up between melee/ranged. This isn't as much a problem with caster level since you need not just CL but higher grade spells to make an effective spellcaster, whereas you don't really need anything except high BAB for a combatant.

Of course, one could do it like 3 skill points per BAB, but that would just make skills distribution complicated once again, which as we all remember with cross-class-ranks it's a pain, especially when you need to audit a sheet and backtrack where everything came from...

So currently I don't have a better idea than to keep it class based, with some feat-based attack bonuses to support it.
|

()

beejazz
Darth Member

Postby beejazz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm writing a game.

Return to “General D&D”