Blank

Anything D&D pretty much.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Blank

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:52 am

Race: Blank
Appearance: Blanks are indistinguishable from normal humans.
Medium
30 foot speed
Antimagic: Blank's are completely anathema to magic. They are immune to magic, effectively having infinite SR, and cannot be seen or detected by magical means. Further, their unarmed strikes ignore any bonuses to AC granted by magical effects.
However, they also cannot use magic in any form. They cannot cast spells, use spell-like or supernatural abilities, and any magical items that a Blank wields lose all magical properties for as long as the Blank touches it.
LA: +4

Prestige Class: Negator
Requirements:
Race: Blank
Feats: Iron Will
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks
Martial: must know at least one martial strike of at least 2nd level

HD: d8

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Martial Lore, Perception, Profession, Sense Motive, Search, Stealth
BAB: 3/4 level
Saves: Good will save, bad fortitude and reflex saves

Level MR / MK / SK Special
1 1/0/0 Antimagic Stance
2 0/0/0 Dispelling Strike
3 0/0/0 Spellburning Strike
4 1/0/0 Suppressing Strike
5 0/1/1 Ruinous Strike
6 0/0/0 Truevision Stance
7 1/0/0 Greater Dispelling Strike
8 0/0/0 Greater Spellburning Strike
9 0/0/0 Greater Suppressing Strike
10 1/1/0 Greater Ruinous Strike

Lesser Antimagic Stance: This ability may be initiated and maintained as a martial stance. While active, any weapons and equipment that the Negator holds has the same magical immunity that he does. This means that weapons ignore magical AC bonuses, and gear is immune to all magical effects.

Dispelling Strike: This ability can be initiated by taking a standard action and expending a readied strike maneuver. Make a single melee or ranged attack against a creature. On a successful hit, that creature is affected as if by a Greater Dispel Magic, with a bonus to the dispel check equal to 6 + your class level.

Spellburning Strike: This ability can be initiated by taking a standard action and expending a readied strike maneuver. Make a single melee attack against a creature. If the target is hit successfully and can cast spells, it loses one of its highest level spell slots and takes 1d6 damage per spell level lost. If the target has spell-like abilities, it loses one use of its highest-level spell-like ability and takes 1d6 damage per level of the spell-like ability lost.

Suppressing Strike: This ability can be initiated by taking a standard action and expending a readied strike maneuver. Make a single melee attack against a creature. If that creature attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability, it must make a caster level check against DC 16 + your class level. If it fails, the spell or ability has no effect, although it is still treated as expended. If it is successful, the ability functions normally, and this effect ends. This lasts for 1d4 rounds.

Ruinous Strike: This ability can be initiated by taking a standard action and expending a readied strike maneuver. Make a single melee attack or a sunder attempt. If you strike a creature, the target must make a Will Save (DC 10 + your class level + wisdom modifier) or have a single soulmeld unshaped or a single vestige unbound. If you make a sunder attempt, in addition to the normal effects of the sunder, the targetted item must make a Will Save or lose all magical properties for one hour.

Truevision Stance: While in Antimagic Stance, the Negator can see through all magical illusion effects.

Greater Dispelling Strike: The bonus on Dispelling Strike's dispel check increases to 6 + double your class level

Greater Spellburning Strike: Spellburning Strike causes the target to lose its two highest-level spells or spell-like abilities, and the target takes 1d10 damage per spell level lost.

Greater Suppressing Strike: Suppressing Strike's duration increases to one minute, and the DC of the caster level check increases to 16 + double your class level.

Greater Ruinous Strike: Ruinous Strike's DC increases to 20 + your class level + your wisdom modifier; items sundered lose magical properties permanently.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Balance ideas?
Last edited by TheDude51 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Re: Blank

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:27 am

I think a little part of me just died inside...

I can tell you 3 things:
1. Antimagic is usually treated as a pretty powerful ability and likely to constitute a decent LA, most non-epic antimagic creatures have major weaknesses - golems with certain spells, while other antimagic creatures are often handicapped.
2. Anyone who knows a thing at all about martial arts should know supernatural negation makes no sense as a discipline/field-of-study, because the concept of inner power, ki, qi, whatever, which is considered the absolute mastery of all martial arts, is supernatural in its own. Ki martial arts is suppose to excel at stemming the flow of power (most commonly pressure point strikes), but not good at causing reactionary effects in innate power reserves, so the concept for a slashing-dispel maneuver is laughable at best, a MDJ-styled maneuver even more so.
3. The class needs to be epic, nothing less, in order to gain remotely any balance.

Heck is this for? The basics of class design should be to always to start with flavor and reasoning over mechanics, because a designer will almost always fall into the pit of unbalanced-ness if they focus on mechanics over flavor.

I repeat my claim that you are not fit to design classes/PRCs, seeing as you repeatedly come up with some of the most broken things I see without any good reasoning for it.
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:36 pm

So, basically, we're trying to the make the "Assault Mage" into a race, and a class? Alright, everyone roll vs. insanity.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:58 pm

The basic idea actually came from a book I read where this was a race, and the class kind of emerged from thinking of how that kind of power might be expanded. The basic reasoning is a character who uses his natural abilities to destroy magic. Lots of practice, focus, and willpower is required to direct his natural powers this way, hence the need to take class levels to use it. The martial strike mechanism is just a convenient mechanic to use.

As to balance, I don't think its really that bad. It has the same huge weakness that is shared by VoP characters, namely the inability to shore up weaknesses through magic item use. In addition to an overall reduction in combat ability, this creates several key weaknesses, including lack of healing, flight, and energy resistance.

I'm pretty sure that a reasonably competent caster who knew what he was facing would be able to defeat a Negator with very little trouble, and a martial character would win easily. Given that, I'm not sure how it can be said to be so terribly unbalanced.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm thinking now that I'll make Blank a +4 LA and change the Negator to a 10 level class by just removing the 4 empty levels.

This would ensure that it has a significant disadvantage to other combat-dedicated noncasters, and means that spellcasters would have a variety of ways (flight, invisibility, orbs, etc) to effectively combat it if given the chance.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:09 am

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:45 am

The antimagic stance only allows their weapons to penetrate magical defenses and be immune to damage from magical sources. As a racial feature, any item a Blank uses is nonmagical for as long as the Blank wields it. I guess I should clarify the wording on the racial ability.

Also, unlike VoP chars and Forsakers, a Blank cannot get buffs or healing from an allied spellcaster.

One possibility for Ruinous Strike would be to change it to one hour suppression for the normal version, reserving permanent disjunction for Greater Ruinous Strike at character level 20.

4 LA, 3/4 BAB, and no magic items creates a pretty big disadvantage already. This means the Negator has maneuvers 2 levels lower than another martial character, 7 lower BAB by 20th level, 30-40 fewer HP, plus a huge disadvantage from lacking magic items, which would probably give a combat char +6 to strength and con, +5 to attacks and damage, an extra attack, flight, and a host of other miscellaneous benefits.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Zanaikin
Tsunshun

Postby Zanaikin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:55 am

Oh, I dont have nearly as much problem against the race as I do against the class. The race is fine as long as you can properly develop it (and 4 LA is probably sufficient), and magic immunity does fit far more as a racial trait than any 'trained ability'.
And yes, Negator wouldn't so much broken if you stated it MUST be a Blank, because that would fit with their racial flavor well. But you didn't state it's a racial class, but you didn't state that. As a matter of fact based on what you wrote, there's nothing keeping a spellcastor from taking Negator class.

One would think a munchkin like you would realize the importance of wording.
|

()

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15 pm

Oh, wow. I completely didn't realize that, and thats a huge screw-up. I did intend from the get-go for it to be for Blanks only.

*edits*
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:06 am

Out of curiosity, Judson, what are you designing this for?
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51

Postby TheDude51 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:05 am

Nothing in particular, I just had an idea I really liked and decided to post it to see what people thought. If I ever run a game, I might use it, but thats not anywhere in the near future.
Would it not be easier
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General D&D”