4E

Anything D&D pretty much.
beejazz
Darth Member
Race: Leliel
Class: You're Kidding, Right?

Postby beejazz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Zanaikin wrote:adding your level means pretty much on par with 'all good saves' however its the fact wherever you take lvls in a class... you get a 'class bonus' to saves. So if you crossclass like hell you rack up a lot of those bonuses, and with the talent tree system being extremely flexible you never have to take all 10/20 levels of something to gain the ability you wanted from said class. Put this together and its like asking every char above lvl15 to have levels in 5+ diff classes.

The simple solution in terms of saves is to have the bonuses overlap rather than stacking. Call them all "competence bonus" or something.

As for the talent trees... Perhaps some more heavy-handed work with prereqs and stages. Most of the time, each feat tree has one ability that's lame but is a prerequisite for all the tree's other abilities. Then you've got lesser and greater forms of the same ability (evasion vs. improved evasion, for example). And remember how they also mentioned tome of battle and unique recharge conditions for special abilities*? I imagine each tree (or each class) would have its own condition. This would rather discourage cherry-picking.

*For a less extreme version of ToB recharge conditions, see Psionic Focus. For a more extreme version, see Iron Heroes by Mike Mearls.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I mainly like Saga's system due to its simplicity... modifying it excessively defeats that point :P
Stormreach NPC Relations | Stormreach Encounter Map

Epicette Argyen (WotR Ledger)

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Yeah, Saga is really simple. Multiclassing is really encouraged, but SW doesn't have nearly the power creep that D&D does, simply because there's so little. 4E will probably be a little different in that respect, since more D&D games reach high level.
Haaaahahahaha!!!!

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Return to “General D&D”