Neverwinter

Anything D&D pretty much.
Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Neverwinter

Postby Zanaikin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 pm

The D&D MMORPG using 4.0, take place in named city 100 years after the NWN2 game. Suppose to release later this year (possibly summer?)

Marty has been beta-playing it and I've been considering it.

Anyone else know they might be trying it out?
Stormreach NPC Relations | Stormreach Encounter Map

Epicette Argyen (WotR Ledger)

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Re: Neverwinter

Postby Sajuuk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Oh, you beat me to the post.

Anyway, to clarify, it only uses 4.0 as a kind of fluff basis. The actual combat mechanics don't use 4e rules. Here's a quick rundown.

There are 5 classes right now:
  • Guardian Fighter (Tank) - Sword and Board. Heavy Armor.
  • Great Weapon Fighter (Front-Line Damage, slight tanking) - Greatsword (more 2-handed weapons coming). Heavy Armor.
  • Trickster Rogue (Front-Line Damage (Striker, uses stealth and flanking to do more damage), has some ranged damage potential as well as some debuffs (knockback, slow)). Light Blades. Light Armor.
  • Control Wizard (Ranged Damage, battlefield control (movement debuffs, knockbacks, etc). Orb. Robes
  • Devoted Cleric (Healbot, Ranged Damage)
. Icon (big holy symbols). Armor that I don't know because I haven't messed with it. Looks kinda chainmaily.

Ability scores are sorta rolled, but it seems more like random distribution of one of a few preset arrays. Each ability score has different effects, but you have a Primary and two Secondaries that are the most important for you. Rogue's Primary is DEX, and it's Secondaries are STR and CHA.

Races actually have in-game effects (unlike in TOR), with each having ability score modifiers and 2 passives. Current playable races are:
  • Human
  • Halfling
  • Half-Elf
  • Half-Orc
  • Elf
  • Dwarf
  • Drow (but only if you have the $200 Founder's Pack, will be available to everyone else 60 days after launch.)
  • Tiefling (which is what I've been using for my Trickster Rogue)

You've got 9 abilities that you can use at any given time (I'll use some of Rogue and Wizard as examples). Control setup is changeable, but you're still stuck using the mouse for targetting. Abilities are automatically granted as you level, but you pick which ones you have slotted:
  • 2 At-Wills - Left Click, Right Click. You can use these as often as you want. You unlock a few of these as you level. On my rogue I've been using a basic 3-attack combo on the left click and a dagger throw on the right click. Other rogue At-Wills include a 3-attack combo (that's slower than the one I use) that can add a bleed effect and a single-attack that refills your stealth meter (slow to activate, but pretty beastly if you're in a party). Wizard's first 2 at wills are Magic Missile (3-attack combo consisting of attack, attack, attack but shoot 3 missiles instead of 1) and Ray of Frost (maintain, does damage and adds a stacking slow debuff that freezes the enemy when it hits 8 stacks).
  • 3 Encounters - Q, E, and R. These have cooldowns ranging from 8 Seconds to 20 Seconds. Cooldown time is reduced through high Wisdom score and class features. For example, you can spend Feat Points (more on that in a bit) as a Rogue to get up to a 5% chance for your at-will attacks to reduce cooldown time on your Encounter powers by 1 second each time it triggers. These are the proverbial core of your abilities. On my rogue, for example, I use one that teleports you behind an enemy and attacks them, one that is a high-damage single-target attack, and I swap the third one around as the situation demands. Other rogue Encounter powers include summoning a clone of yourself that draws aggro (and fills your action points when it gets damaged (more on that in a bit)), jumping back and throwing a fan of blades as AoE damage, creating a field of daggers that stab enemies from below (yeah, doesn't make much sense for rogue IMO, but it works), and a few ranged attacks involving dagger throws - such as one that knocks a target back.
  • 2 Dailies - 1 and 2. These use the term 'daily' really as a placeholder, since they actually use up your Action Point meter to trigger. Your meter fills as you do things in combat that vary from class to class. Rogues, Wizards, and Great Weapon Fighters (I think, haven't actually played one) fill their Action Point meter by dealing damage. Guardian Fighters fill their Action Point meter by taking damage. Clerics (I'm assuming) fill their Action Point meter by healing allies. These are you big nova damage abilities. The Control Wizard's first daily creates waves of ice around you, dealing damage and knocking back all enemies within range. Rogue dailies include shifting yourself to the shadowfell (for a nice big damage boost on your attacks for a time), throwing daggers at everything within range (good for clearing mooks), and teleporting around and hitting enemies for a few seconds (also good for clearing mooks).
  • 1 Utlility - TAB. Each class gets a utility power. The only one I have experience with is Rogue, which activates stealth mode for a time. You get a damage bonus while in stealth mode, and some rogue abilities change their effects while stealthed, doing increased damage (beyond the normal damage bonus for stealth), adding additional debuffs (for example, the fan of blades encounter power adds a slow effect), and sometimes allowing you to remain stealthed while using the attack or increasing your stealth meter.
  • 1 Stamina Ability - Double-tap movement direction. For the most part these are dodges. Use it to dodge incoming attacks that are indicated by targeting areas on the ground. Rogue dive-rolls, Wizard teleports, Cleric does this kind of power slide thing. Guardian Fighters hold up a shield, and I have no idea what Great Weapon Fighters do.
  • PASSIVES - Each class has passive class abilities that they get. Rogue, for example, gets Sneak Attack, which increases damage while flanking or stealthed. It also gets one that increases action point gain while stealthed.

Each player can have one follower summoned at a time, which allows for some soloing as well as rounding out a party if you've got all fighters or the like.

Gear is...well, it's MMO gear. Pretty standard D&D gear when you think about it. Right now, classes are restricted to what kind of armor/weapons they can use, for the most part (no wizards in chainmail and no fighters in robes!). Guardian Fighters are Sword and Board, Great Weapon Fighters use Greatswords (with other 2-handed weapons in the works), Rogues use Daggers and Short Swords (though I did get an axe as a boss drop), Clerics use "icons" - basically big holy symbols, Wizards use Orbs.

As for Paragon Paths, you get to pick one at level 30 (level cap is 60 right now), and each class only has 1 paragon path in the game right now (it IS a beta :p). Just like in 4e, paragon paths give you more powers to choose from.

It will be a free-to-play game, without a subscription option. They've said so far that the microtransaction currency will be for cosmetic items (you have an entire set of equipment slots devoted to appearance-only items), and the obligatory "better version" items. Followers and mounts from what we've seen so far. BUT you can get followers and mounts in-game without the microtransaction store, and you can earn "Astral Diamonds" by doing things in game which can be used to purchase microtransaction currency through the player exchange (player-driven conversion, people buy the currency and sell it for Astral Diamonds because a lot of the stores in game will use Astral Diamonds as well).

There is an in-game auction house (no, not Diablo 3 style) that works off of Astral Diamonds, so there is no "set up a shop" like there was in Ragnarok Online. No western MMO offers that anymore (except maybe Runescape).

And since Dai asked about Player Housing, it's not in game yet, but it's being discussed. Yes, there is PVP. Yes, there are Guilds. Also, lots of voice acting.

Squall and I have access to the beta already since we've got lifetime subscriptions to Star Trek Online (made by the same company), and I can see if I can Media-Request my way into additional beta keys if anyone wants them.

PS: I'm not under an NDA for the beta, so I can answer any questions you have.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None
SKULL AND SHACKLES COMBAT MAP
SKULL AND SHACKLES NPC RELATIONS DATABASE
SKULL AND SHACKLES PARTY LOOT/SUPPLIES

SHADOWRUN COMBAT MAP

IRON GODS PARTY LOOT/SUPPLIES

Stormreach Company Assets

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Squall255
The cake is a lie because I ate it.
Race: All of them
Class: Support

Postby Squall255 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Beta Key sent to Dai via e-mail.
(WotR Combat Map|WotR Citadel Map)
(WotR Allied Armies and NPC's|WotR NPC Relationship DB)

Shankara

Dr. Goodberry

Look! He's a brainless, life-sucking god of death. At sunrise he'll vanish like a bad dream. ~Jigo (Princess Mononoke)

<Tal> Our chem teacher said it didn't really matter how we titled the graphs and tables in our semester prac
<Tal> but i still lost marks for having a Table of +2 Undead Slaying and Graph of Destiny :(

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

Aaaand I totally forgot to talk about Feat Points.

Okay, so you don't get feats like in D&D. Your class has a bunch of bonuses that you can invest feat points in (ranging from 3 to 5 points max per option, with the exception of capstone abilities which can only take 1 point), and the bonuses increase as you add more points into that ability. You've only got access to feat options up to a given tier at any given time, and each tier has 3 options you can go with in it. You get your first feat point at...level 10 (I think, can't remember). You CAN invest feat points into lower-tier feats, at least until you hit level 30. Then you can't put anything else into the feats you had access to before then, but have a new tier of feats you can invest in.

TL;DR: MMO-style skill customization. Good example? Champions Online specializations. Which means nothing to any of you except maybe Squall. Another good example? TOR Skill Customization. Which means nothing to any of you.

SHADOWRUN COMBAT MAP

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Some new stuff for this beta weekend (restricted to people who bought founders packs only. i got the $60 pack, and if my media pack gets approved before the weekend ends I'll send Dai and Squall invites).

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showth ... Highlights

Here's the answer to what Leadership is: "An introductory profession that will get you accustomed to the system and rewards you with Astral Diamonds, XP, etc."

Powers got a revamp!

Code: Select all

Our new Power Choice system now allows players to earn and upgrade their path's powers in the order of their choosing!
Starting at level 5, players will get one point per level, which can be used to rank up an owned power or earn a new power.
Powers can have up to 3 ranks, and gain bonuses per rank (e.g. +10% damage).
Rank 3 is locked until 30 points are spent (including the auto-purchased level 1-5 points).
With this change in how powers are earned, all existing characters will have their powers reset. A window will pop up to guide the player to the Power Choice UI (the same place as the previous Power UI).
Further respecs can be done using tokens purchased in the Zen Market.

More details when this thing finishes patching.

SHADOWRUN COMBAT MAP

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:12 am

As a sample, here are the powers for Wizard. Excluding the features of it's Paragon Path, Spellstorm Mage, which focuses on Electricity Damage.

Code: Select all

General Powers
   Teleport (Shift or Double-Tap movement key) - Quickly teleport out of the way incoming attacks, moving you 25' in any direction.
   Arcana - You can collect magic items to sell and you can interact with arcane objects, these interactions often give you a bonus to combat skills.
   Arcane Mastery - Casting arcane based spells builds Arcane Mastery, which increases your arcane damage by 3% per stack, up to 5 stacks.  Many of your arcane effects gain additional power as well.
   Chill - Cold based spells Chill your target, Slowing them and stacking up to 6 times.  Some Cold powers can freeze targets who are affected by max stacks, Stunning the target.  Frozen targets recover sooner if they take enough damage.

AT-WILL (Left Mouse, Right Mouse)
   Magic Missile - 80' Range.  Arcane damage.  Blast the enemy with arcane damage.  The third cast strikes 3 times and adds a stack of Arcane Mastery to you.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage.
   Ray of Frost - 80' Range.  Cold damage.  Channel a powerful beam of frost at your target, continuously adding Chill stacks and eventually Freezing them when you reach 6 stacks.
   Chilling Cloud (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 20) - 80' Range.  Cold damage.  Attack your target with a swarm of ice crystals.  The third hit of this power also damages enemies near your target, briefly reducing their attack damage, and adding Chill.
      Upgrading this power increasees the damage, debuff, and debuff duration.

ENCOUNTER (Q, E, R, Tab (see Spell Mastery under Class Features))
   Chill Strike - 80' Range.  11.3s cooldown.  Cold damage.  Hurl a powerful icicle at your enemy, briefly Stunning them and adding Chill.
      Spell Mastery: The icicle now shatters on impact, also damaging those around your target.  (Only main target is Stunned.)
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and the duration of the stun.
   Conduit of Ice (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 5) - 80' Range.  15.6s cooldown.  Cold damage.  Turn the target enemy into a conduit for an icy storm, dealing damage to them and enemies around them for a short period.  Damage is increased by 5% for every stack of Chill, and those effects are constantly refreshed.
      Spell Mastery: Now adds a Chill effect to targets hit by Conduit of Ice, and increases the size of the area effect.
   Entangling Force (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 5) - 80' Range.  17.4s cooldown.  Arcane damage.  Stun your target, pulling them into the air and choking them for a short period.  Duration of power increased for each stack of Arcane Mastery.
      Spell Mastery: Holds foe slightly longer, and when first cast, enemies near the target will be pulled towards them, and you gain a stack of Arcane Mastery for each target pulled.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and debuff, and reduces the cooldown.
   Repel (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 15) - 80' Range.  9.5s cooldown.  Arcane damage.  With a forceful blast, Push your target away from you at high speeds.  Distance increased based on stacks of Arcane Mastery.
      Spell Mastery: Now affects multiple targets.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and push.
   Shield (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 20) - Personal Burst.  17.4s cooldown.  Form a persistent shield that is diminished by incoming damage.  Shield absorbs a large amount of damage if not diminished, and recovers if undamaged for 6 seconds.  Can be recast to pulse the shield outward, damaging and Pushing enemies away from you, but removing the shield's protection.  Push and cooldown improved based on stacks of Arcane Mastery.
      Spell Mastery: Shield absorbs an even large amount when not diminished at all.  In addition, the pulse will Push enemies farther away from you.
      Upgrading this power increasees the damage resist, the damage dealt, and the push amount.
   Icy Terrain (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 30) - Personal, 15' Burst.  16.5s cooldown.  Cold damage.  Freeze the ground around you, briefly Immobilizing targets hit by the initial freeze, then adding Chill to enemies while they remain on the ice.  Foes who reach 6 Chill stacks will Freeze.
      Spell Mastery: Can now cast at target location.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and reduces the cooldown.
   Ray of Enfeeblement (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 35) - 80' Range.  12.1s cooldown.  Arcane damage.  Over several seconds, deal damage to your enemy while decreasing their damage and Mitigation.  Debuff duration increased based on stacks of Arcane Mastery.
      Spell Mastery: Gains an additional charge, and if recast on the same target twice, will double the effectiveness of the debuffs.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and debuff.
   Icy Rays (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 45) - 80' Range.  17.4s cooldown.  Cold damage.  Blast one or two targets with icy beams, briefly Immobilizing them and adding Chill.  The first cast of this spell puts a rune mark over your target.  The second cast will fire at both the rune marked target and your currnet target.  Spell effectiveness is increased if both beams are fired at one target.
      Spell Mastery: Deals 50% more damage, Immobilizes for an additional half second, and adds an extra stack of Chill.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and the Immobilize duration.
   Steal Time (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 45) - Personal, 30' Burst.  19.1s cooldown.  Arcane damage.  Steal time from enemies around you, Slowing them, and then shattering the collected time to Stun them based on how much was stolen.  The Stun and Slow are further increased based on Arcane Mastery stacks.
      Spell Mastery: You and allies near you receive Combat Advantage and a Run Speed buff based on how much time was stolen, and your stacks of Arcane Mastery.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage dealt, and the stun, slow, and buff duration.
   Shard of the Endless Avalanche (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 50) - 30' Range, 10' Cylinder.  17.4s cooldown.  Arcane damage.  You conjure a boulder from the Elemental Chaos, and then use the followup power to hurl the boulder through your enemies, Knocking them Prone.  Standing near the boulder will slowly build Arcane Mastery stacks.  Eventually after being created, shortly after being hurled, or after impacting two enemies, the boulder will shatter,, dealing more damage than normal and Knocking back nearby enemies, leaving them Prone.
      Spell Mastery: The Shard can now be dropped at a target location, and will knock Prone targets it lands on.  Once summoned, instead of pushing away from you, you can now propel it towards a target location.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and reduces the cooldown.

DAILY (1, 2)
   Oppressive Force - Personal, 25' Burst.  Arcane damage.  Create an oppressive magnetic force that Dazes nearby enemies, and then explodes after brief delay, Dazing them further.  On cast you build a stack of Arcane Mastery.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and the duration of the daze.
   Arcane Singularity (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 10) - Arcane damage.  Create a powerful singularity that sucks in all enemies in a large area.  When cast, you gain a stack of Arcane Mastery.
   Ice Storm (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 10) - Personal, 40' burst.  Cold damage.  Unleash a massive wave of ice, Knocking away enemies leaving them briefly Prone, and addhing Chill.
      Upgrading this power increases the damage and knockback.
   Ice Knife (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 40) - 80' Range.  Cold damage.  Summon and slam down a huge blade of ice into your foe leaving them Prone, and adding 3 stacks of Chill.

CLASS FEATURES
   Orb of Imposition - Increase the duration of your control powers by 5% per rank.
   Spell Mastery (AUTOMATIC AT LEVEL 10) - Your mastery of the arcane arts allows you to place an additional Encounter power into your Tab slot.  Encounter powers slotted in this way gain additional effects.
   Arcane Presence (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 15) - Arcane Mastery also increases the damage of your Cold based attacks by 34% of the buff value (+33% more at ranks 2 and 3)
   Chilling Presence (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 15) - Increase the damage you deal by 1% per rank for each stack of Chill on your target.
   Evocation (AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 20) - Increase the damage of your Area of Effect powers by 5% per rank.

SHADOWRUN COMBAT MAP

Return to “General D&D”