Sandbox Campaign

Anything D&D pretty much.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Sandbox Campaign

Postby Zanaikin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:36 pm

as the title says... I'm planning to scrap what I have for Legacy of Lords at the moment (save for maybe a later time when people have revitalized interest for such a wargaming thing) and run something a lot simpler, but still get our creative urges satisifed--- henceforth, a 'sandbox' game: namely so because it's a very loosely structure 'campaign' where the players pretty much determine where they want to go.

The main objective of this game, other than to satisfy certain D&D demands that common dungeon-delving doesn't quite meet, will be to use the opportunity to flesh out the System I'm putting together.

The setting will be recycled from yet another visual novel strategy game (since I'm lazy to build one from scratch xD): Sengoku Rance. It's more or less a classic swords-and-magic setting based off the Sengoku-era Japan (I mean the looks like Japan too). Most of the famous people from the era, from Useugi Kenshin to Takeda Shingen to Date Masamune to Oda Nobunaga are here (with some fun twists), alongside their houses, so if you have a historical interest you might also get a kick from this. So... classical fantasy with a historical touch, much easier to deal with than me worrying about world-specific rules atop the system ones. Technology will be your the typical late medieval era, but just like in real Sengoku era Japan--- muskets are just starting to get introduced to the island; musket troops will still be rare and really expensive, but war is already starting to change.

The party will be a band of mismatched individuals banished to (the SW penisula marked '(Takuga)' on the map). Because of the youkai (Japanese demon/spirits) and especially since the war between them and humans, many people found themselves bearing lasting curses from them, and out of fear the people simply banished these cursed individuals to the 'Death Country' of Shikoku, where a portal to the demonic realms exist and hence it's locked away behind the walls and gates guarded by the demon-exterminating Hojo clan. Tired of being forced to live in a desolate wasteland and run the risk of being assaulted by wandering demons every day, these people decided to band together and rebel against their wardens...

The rebellion will kickstart the game and get you familiar with the setting. Then, from there it's a matter of what you want. Build a clan state to declare sovereignty and head off to take over Japan? Seek out the youkai who cursed you and finally get rid of it? Just live out life by running an adventuring or mercenary guild? The players will all be on the 'same side' thanks to their circumstances (especially since other nearby clans want the cursed sent back behind those walls), but whether you'll work and journey together will depend on individual goals and how you want to function as a party; although all players will have two common interests:
1. Survive, because your neighbors aren't very friendly, and you'll need to band together to kick their ass every so while.
2. All PCs will begin with a curse that they'll want to get lifted, eventually (feel free to get creative)

So, would anyone be interested? =9 (aiming for 3 or more players) It'll be purely online---

As far as timetables go, I'm planning to start collecting player/party ideas immediately, and aim to get the game started come beginning of you guys' winter break. The only thing needed at start is the PC character design, although those who want to take a bigger role in the future are welcomed to pitch in and help shape the other people behind the rebellion~
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Re: Sandbox Campaign

Postby Sajuuk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Sandbox? Count me in.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm tentatively interested, though I'm going to be travelling for around half of what would otherwise be called "Winter Break" and fairly busy after that moving out to CA and setting up an apartment/etc before starting work in February.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Sure, I'm short an RPG commitment anyway.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

TheDude51
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Postby TheDude51 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:26 am

Count me in.
Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
-Bertolt Brecht

Return to “General D&D”