New Campaign

Anything D&D pretty much.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

New Campaign

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:22 am

So, as the title obviously implies, I'm looking to start a new campaign. However, this time around I'd like to ask what other people are interested in playing before I start designing (as my last attempt ended in failure before it even made it out of the gate).

Before you go too far, though, here's a list of things I won't run:
High-Magic Campaigns (nothing in the vein of Forgotten Realms or Penthiae)
High-Technology Campaigns (anything past WW2 age tech is not going to happen)
Kingmaker-esque Campaigns (you would be correct to conclude that I am still bitter over the loss of War of Lords).
Campaigns oriented around the destruction of one type of monster.
Campaigns where the party is of one race or type.

Thoughts?
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

beejazz
Darth Member
Race: Leliel
Class: You're Kidding, Right?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Campaign

Postby beejazz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Thieves, brigands, and ruffians?
Low level, low magic, low political power, no worries about morality. Just what it says on the tin: PCs are bandits, robbers, extortionists, or cuthroats. Looking from gold from those that have it, fighting those that guard it, fleeing the law, rescuing caught comrades, recruiting new members for the band, etc. Like Robin Hood except you aren't disenfranchised nobles.
(Slow xp starting at first level. Few or no magic items. Maybe not even magic at all (might be more houseruling than you want to do though). Few if any monsters in the wilderness (you don't slay monsters, but you may hide in a fire swamp). No alignment. Adventurers not heroes.)

Pirates?
See above, but in a naval setting. More potential for rival gangs. More exploration. Buried treasure. Maybe throw in some mcguffin curses.
(similar rules use, maybe a tiny bit more magic and scarier sea monsters)

Pilgrimage?
Party is traveling companions, going the same way for different reasons. They go town to town encountering a different situation in each. If you've seen Samurai Champloo or have read the framing story from Canterbury Tales, you get the idea.
(since PCs should come from different backgrounds, squeezing caster classes or alignment in might make more sense)

Just suggestions that sound like they fit your criteria and that I would definitely play in.
I'm writing a game.

I'm also writing up a little setting to playtest it in.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:08 am

Pirate campaign is somewhat tempting, as it seems that no matter the apparent difficulty in keeping such a game together, the promise of unmitigated crime and giving the PCs their own ship is always an intriguing one. Technically the first one that I tried only fell flat because of WoL.

At the moment, I'm also considering running a test adventure using the Red Star Campaign Setting rules. Does the prospect of Soviet Sorcery Intrigue anyone (other than myself and Marty)?

Active Characters:

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 pm

That sounds absolutely ridiculous. Sure, why not, assuming I have time for another game. The Mage game I was in is dead, so I'll have a bit more time. I've got both Monday and Tuesday off for the holiday, but have no idea what my schedule is going to be with family around.

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:38 am

So, that family I thought was coming tomorrow? Yeah, make that Tuesday. As such, I'm free all weekend. >.<

While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:49 am

Since most of us will be off for the holiday, how about a monday game? That'd be about the earliest I could reasonably pull an adventure together.

Active Characters:

Laharl

Postby Laharl » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:11 am

Monday sounds excellent. Can has character creation parameters?

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:28 am

Active Characters:

Return to “General D&D”