WARNING! MORE MSFT BULLSHIT!

Anything is allowed, don't overdo the spam.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

WARNING! MORE MSFT BULLSHIT!

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Okay, so apparently in the latest batch of shit to come out of Redmond via Windows Update, every XP machine either had its Drive Indexing Service turned on if it it was off, or installed and turned on if it wasn't there. If you are noticing drive slowdown, this is the issue. Apparently they decided Microsoft Desktop Search 3.01 should be a 'critical update.' So, even if you don't have the stupid little search box on your taskbar signifying it is installed, check anyway.

Heres how to turn it off:
My Computer
Right click on a hard drive
Make sure the box for "Allow Indexing Service to index..." is NOT checked.
Repeat for all other Hard Drives and/or partitions
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:09 pm

this is why windows updates are bad and one should never allow windows to update itself :P

the security updates are crap anyways and any decent self-updating viruscan/firewall should already have it covered...
|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:33 pm

lol. tell that to the people who continuouslly get exploted by things like the bad handling of URIs that microsoft just recently patched. or the people whose windows updates were broken by the recent 'stealth update' or as i like to call it, 'microsofts digital ninja breaking of your computer.' windows updates are a necessity unless you can see the future and avoid malicious code, or intend on never taking your computer onto the internet.

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Laharl
Overlord of the Netherworld
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Laharl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 pm

Doesn't apply to Vista, right? Then for once, I'm not screwed by a Microsoft screwup. Course, the best defence against stuff like this is just to not use Windows...

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Vista comes with MSFT Search preinstalled. you might want to check and see if indexing is active or not, it had re-enabled mine.

Laharl
Race: Demon
Class: Tennis Player 4/Geek 5/Software Simian 2

Postby Laharl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:09 pm

I remember checking that, but I'll look the next time I boot into Vista. Whenever /that/ may be,..

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pron surfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour,
"'Tis not possible!", I muttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!
...quoth the server, 404.-Bash.org

Zanaikin
Tsunshun
Race: Tofu
Class: Strategist 5/Worldforger 3/SW Engineer 5

Postby Zanaikin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:47 pm

|

()

"Hurrah, Warsaw's ours!" / "Hurrah, Field Marshal!" - Battle report & promotion notice between Alexander Suvorov & Catherine the Great

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Return to “General Discussions”