Rules and Discussion

Moderator: littleangryman

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
littleangryman
The cake is a lie because I ate it.

Rules and Discussion

Postby littleangryman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Languages

On Drew's advice, I've changed the way acquiring languages works slightly. Normally, a character gets a language for every skill point invested in Linguistics. Tengus possess a racial ability that get them two languages per rank. Things will work a bit differently under this rule.

Each rank in Linguistics gets a character a point towards his next chosen language. The point costs for a given language will be determined by how likely it is for a given character to have exposure to, or materials for, a given language, as follows:

1 POINT
-Racial languages of core races, such as Elven, Dwarven, and Orc.
-Ethnic/national languages tied to a character's origin or journey. For example, an ethnic Garundi from Osirion who went straight to Numeria from his homeland would start with Common/Taldan and Osiriani, and could pay 1 point for Polyglot, Kelish, and Hallit.
-Languages of major (non-planar) regional threats or associations, such as Giant for Varisia or Necril for Ustalav.

2 POINTS
-Ethnic/national languages for distant cultures. For example, the aforementioned Osiriani Garundi would have to spend two points to learn, say, Minkaian.
-Most monstrous languages.
-Languages of major regional threats or associations of extraplanar or otherworldly origins, such as Abyssal for Mendev or the elemental languages for Qadira.
-Well known ancient languages, such as Ancient Osiriani, Azlanti, or Thassilonian.

3 POINTS
-Most planar languages.
-Alien languages.
-Obscure ancient languages, such as Cyclops or Jistka.

Point costs may be reduced by backstory elements or in-game experiences, or a given language being closely related to a character's profession. A cleric, for example, would have an easier time learning Celestial, Abyssal, or Infernal, while someone who somehow has ties to planet Castrovel would have an easier time learning Lashunta or Formian.

Automatic languages are unchanged.

A Tengu's Gifted Linguist racial ability still grants them the ususal +4 bonus on Linguistics checks, but reduces point costs for languages by 1 (minimum 1) instead of its usual effect.

Bonus languages for having a high intelligence score give a character points rather than languages. Use those points to buy languages as described above.

Androffan is a special case. No one may take this language at the start, unless one has the Numerian Archaeologist campaign trait, which gives the language for free. (Said trait implies that one has spent a great deal of time exploring Numerian ruins, and reflects that effort.) Learning the language requires exposure to writing or speech from that language (which you'll encounter soon enough, don't worry), and the use of tongues, comprehend languages, or a successful Linguistics check, at which point I'll make it a 2-pointer for that character. If a character takes the time to learn it from another character who has the language already (through the above means, or the campaign trait), I'll drop it to 1 point.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently determined fool."-someone

"Man up or I'll beat you with my Peace Prize!" - Switzerland (Hetalia)

"ERROR!!!!!" -warforged barabrian

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Iron Gods battle map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

littleangryman

Re: Rules and Discussion

Postby littleangryman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 pm

One week rule.

As used in Wrath of the Righteous. I had originally envisioned this as three days, but I understand you folks have busy lives. So, seven days it is. You'll be skipped if you take longer than seven days to post a response.

I don't especially like doing this, but certain events (in particular, the fate of our Reign of Winter game) have convinced me of its necessity. So, yeah.

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly." - Captain Jack Sparrow

"And now... let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." -Albus Dumbledore

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham
Race: Paragon Gelatinous Cube
Class: The Classiest

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Petition Withdrawn
Last edited by Mr_Praetorian on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You! Your character's build displeases me! Come to the boards for nerfing!

Active Characters:

Sajuuk
Nerd King of the Frozen North
Race: Shadow Creature/Progenitor/College Graduate/Nerd
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:48 pm

There's already a feat in the book that handles that. Ranged Study.

Ranged Study
You can use a limited form of studied combat and studied strike with a weapon of your choice.
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus with the chosen weapon, studied combat class feature.
Benefit: Choose one kind of ranged weapon. You gain the bonuses for studied combat with your chosen weapon and can use studied strike with your chosen weapon as long as the target of your studied strike is within 30 feet of you.
Normal: You gain the bonuses for studied combat and can use studied strike only with melee weapons.
[PCs Currently At - Sailing The High Seas]
TODAY: Arodus 28, 4711
PARTY BUFFS ACTIVE: None

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Okay, the gang's all here except for one. I was planning to start today (October 7, 2014), so feel free to start roleplaying your arrivals in Torch if the mood strikes.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 am

Ok, enough is enough.

I have tried to be fair, I have tried to be patient. I have tried giving everyone else something to do while waiting for certain people to get their shit together. Said people have had over a week past the appointed deadline. And still nothing. It is not fair to the rest of the party to wait for them any longer. Therefore, this game will be STARTING in earnest at 5:00 PM Eastern time Tuesday 10/14, with or without said people.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:04 am

Right. So...

We now officially only have three people. I'll be honest: I'm not sure how to make this work. This is my first time DMing, and scaling encounters is something I have yet to truly master. As I see it, we have some options:

-We just call it. I don't especially like this prospect, as 'failure due to lack of interest and/or life getting in the way' is not exactly the way I was hoping my DM career would start out.

-We try to scale anyway and see what happens. This may involve either weakening the enemy, beefing up the party, or some combination of the two.

-We go on a recruitment drive, and see which of our friends we can wrangle onto the boards for another character.

What do you, my ever patient players, think? Still interested in making this happen?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Sajuuk
Class: Geek 4/CodeMonkey 2/HardwareWiz 4/BasketballManager 4/WindowsAdmin 4/Root 2/ChaosIncarnate 1

Postby Sajuuk » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm game for any option that isn't 'end the game.'

"No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it." - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680
Titles: He Whose Hand Shapes What Is, Epic Destroyer of Loot, Creator of the Elemental Plane of Bishoujos.

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 pm

I'd be down if it were just the three of us. Smaller parties are easier to manage. Also, scaling wouldn't be too terribly difficult. Consider bumping the party up one level. Three level 4 characters are roughly about the same power at four level 3s. At least in my opinion.

Active Characters:

Berryshine
Darth Member
Race: Halfling
Class: Halfling
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Berryshine » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 am

I agree with the scaling.

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:00 am

All right then, scaling it is. Give yourselves another level, and we'll be ready to continue in the next day or two.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Mr_Praetorian
High Lord of Ham

Postby Mr_Praetorian » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Would it be alright if I switch around my build a little bit? I'm interested in rebuilding with the archetype to better make use of technology that will become available.

Active Characters:

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Approved. Go right ahead.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

littleangryman

Postby littleangryman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 am

IMPORTANT

In light of... oh, screw it, I'll just ask you straight up:

Are you guys still interested in doing this, or no?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Sajuuk

Postby Sajuuk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:53 pm

I am. I also just got back from vacation, and don't feel that Harskgun would have anything to say in regards to the thing that was just found in-game. I feel like that's more a Niles thing.

Return to “Iron Gods”